• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
Does seem less like a PSU problem.

Heh - you could test the whole system on the 650W to see if that makes any difference. If you're only seeing problems with that one game though, it seems less likely to be a problem with your hardware.

Heh I could, but a bit of back of the envelope maths shows that I'd really be pushing it. It's an old gold rated PSU, so I think it would be borderline on balanced mode with my rig and trip on turbo especially under gaming load. I've only had crashes in The Witcher 3 and XCom 2 but... they're the games I've played the most. Perhaps I'll devote some solid playtime tomorrow into Batman or Nier Automata.

Caporegime
Battlefield 1 - DX11
1920x1080 Ultra Settings + TAA
Ryzen 1800X @4.050Ghz
RX Vega 64 AIO @1802/1050Mhz
Asus Crosshair VI Hero 9902 Bios
2x8GB GSkill DDR4 3200Mhz 12-14-14-34-1 GDE
Crimson 17.8.1 WHQL
Relive 1080P60 @ 35Mbps

Associate
Battlefield 1 - DX11
Ryzen 1800X @4.050Ghz
Crimson 17.8.1 WHQL
Relive 1080P60 @ 35Mbps

Ok so watched some of your vid Matt, as someone who has never played BF1 before or even looked at benchmarks for it, how does your 123fps average at those settings stack up against other cards? also other CPU's?

Caporegime
Ok so watched some of your vid Matt, as someone who has never played BF1 before or even looked at benchmarks for it, how does your 123fps average at those settings stack up against other cards? also other CPU's?

It's around 1080 performance i believe.

As for CPUs I've no idea, i was GPU limited in that video.

Soldato
No matter what I some (not all) games drop to state 3, 4 or 5 (max) as soon as I enable manual voltage in Wattman.
  • Custom game profile with state 6 set as minimum state - doesn't matter
  • Dynamic or manual clocks - doesn't matter
  • +50% power limit - doesn't matter
  • Max fans - doesn't matter
  • Combinations of all of the above.
As soon as I select manual for voltage control and hit apply (even if I don't actually change the voltages) the 3D clocks will alternate between state 3 (1138), state 4 (1200) and state 5 (1401).

So far it happens in
  • Witcher 3
  • Hitman
  • ROTTR
  • Deus ex Mankind Divided

Works OK for Dishonored.

Caporegime
No matter what I some (not all) games drop to state 3, 4 or 5 (max) as soon as I enable manual voltage in Wattman.
  • Custom game profile with state 6 set as minimum state - doesn't matter
  • Dynamic or manual clocks - doesn't matter
  • +50% power limit - doesn't matter
  • Max fans - doesn't matter
  • Combinations of all of the above.
As soon as I select manual for voltage control and hit apply (even if I don't actually change the voltages) the 3D clocks will alternate between state 3 (1138), state 4 (1200) and state 5 (1401).

So far it happens in
  • Witcher 3
  • Hitman
  • ROTTR
  • Deus ex Mankind Divided

Works OK for Dishonored.

Don't touch HBM voltage, as that can trigger a bug which we are working on. Core voltage should work okay though in 17.8.1 WHQL.

Try this. Select Power Save, click Apply. Now select Custom and try the settings below (but whatever your max boost clock is in state 7) and click Apply. Then test some games.

Jx5fWjG.jpg

Associate
It's around 1080 performance i believe.

As for CPUs I've no idea, i was GPU limited in that video.
My Ryzen 1600 @ 3.9 has around the same performance which surprised me. I think that the game could either be better optimized for Ryzen or we have to wait for future revisions with higher ipc.

Associate
Hi All,

I've got the 64 Air, will stick a pic up soon, and just wondered what settings you guys were using relating to fan speed? I've left mine on standard clock speeds but increased power to +50% and an undervolt of 0.050 on the top tier of GPU voltage bracket; with these settings in place at high load the GPU hits 85 degrees and will thermal throttle its clocks on standard fan settings.

I've tried a variety of settings in WattMan:

Fan sett to manual @ max of 3600
Fan & Temp Targets set manually, max @ 3600, target temp @ 80

A fan speed of 3600 can keep the temps in the 80 degree region but this is when running FRU stress test which keeps GPU load at 99% and in turn keeps the fan at a constant 3600 speed.

The problem is when running Haven benchmark which varies GPU load the fan doesn't seem to spin up quick enough to stop the GPU throttling :mad: I've tried to set target temps to 70 degrees with a max fan speed but this has the same problems during Haven.

I've also tried using MSI AB but none of the fan settings seem to apply, assume Vega isn't supported yet.

Any recommendations on fan speed settings or a third party application that will allow me to set a custom curve?

Soldato
Don't touch HBM voltage, as that can trigger a bug which we are working on. Core voltage should work okay though in 17.8.1 WHQL.

Try this. Select Power Save, click Apply. Now select Custom and try the settings below (but whatever your max boost clock is in state 7) and click Apply. Then test some games.

Jx5fWjG.jpg

The voltages in those settings are actually higher than a stock air cooled vega. So are you saying I should increase voltage and set power limit to 50% and also lower VRAM voltage to 950?

Associate
Another VEGA 64 LC owner here, came home hoping to play around with undervolting. After playing around with it a bit combined with furmark, people recommended me to use unigine heaven/valley instead.

Sadly enough my system seems to crash on unigine heaven when my card is at stock voltages and frequencies.

650W Corsair PSU, VEGA 64 LC, i7-3770k

I'm running the unigine valley benchmark as we speak, and it hasn't crashed yet. Does anyone else have issues with their systems crashing when running unigine heaven?

Edit:
This is with the newest drivers of course, 17.8.1.

I've had problems with Heaven in the past on both my 290x and Fury x. Heaven always seems to crash eventually, even if it's like 1 hr or so. Overclocked, stock or underclocked it doesn't matter.

But as you say Valley always works fine as do any other benches. So I think there must be some issue with AMD and Heaven.

Associate
Battlefield 1 - DX11
Ryzen 1800X @4.050Ghz
Crimson 17.8.1 WHQL
Relive 1080P60 @ 35Mbps

Thank you, I'll be looking out for a VEGA deal :) .

There is link to a thread in this post, any chance of giving your time :) , thanks :) .

Associate
I don't have anything more to add from what i said earlier, so there is no point getting into a debate about it.

You are avoiding the subject :) , post what you did here over there, let me show you what I do and how the driver is blocking gains from HBM clock increase :) .

There is plenty of other info I can share how AMD can manipulate driver as they want :) .

Give me a fair crack of the whip instead of upsetting members here by posting in this thread.

Soldato
Just leave HBM voltage alone, don't increase nor decrease, just use Core voltage.

OK, not sure what happened but it seems to be working now. Tested Dishonored 2, Deus Ex and Witcher 3 at 1550 core, no 0% PL, 1000mV on state 5 and state 6, HBM stock volts and clocks. It sat at 84c max in W3 and the others were 80c. Fans are at 2300 RPM max.

Seems to be a very intermittent bug. Will test further.

Associate
You are avoiding the subject :) , post what you did here over there, let me show you what I do and how the driver is blocking gains from HBM clock increase :) .

There is plenty of other info I can share how AMD can manipulate driver as they want :) .

Give me a fair crack of the whip instead of upsetting members here by posting in this thread.

Dude! AMD clearly don't support HBM overclocking on fury x. It's been said many times. I don't know what you expect from him!

Associate
Please view data in linked thread.

HBM overclock was not supported in Wattman, we never even had Wattman on Fiji for months and months. Wattman was a feature introduced in Polaris. Now if AMD Matt states HBM overclocking was not enabled in driver and I showed you a screen shot of HBM clock slider in AMD drivers prior to WattMan what would you say? (I will add the latter in my thread today, I am just adding more content to my thread).

Please ask reply there as I do not wish to be labeled as creating off topic in this thread.

AMD Gimping HBM clock on Fiji after v16.12.2 WHQL driver

When VEGA owners get treated as we Fiji owners have been recently I guess then they'll know ;) .

Back
Top Bottom