It's On! Floyd Mayweather - Conor McGregor **No discussions of illegal streams**

Man of Honour
The only reason the fight went on so long was because Mayweather wanted it to

Yes and no - McGregor went in with his guard down but if Mayweather had committed to punishing for it he could have left himself open if he didn't manage to decisively demolition McGregor - and in that respect McGregor is relatively untested so it would have been a wildcard for Mayweather - even though I doubt it would have gone any way but Mayweather's.

From what I saw McGregor has a lot of potential in boxing if he takes away the right amount of humble from that fight and spent some time training with someone who is highly technical - a few times he could have humbled Mayweather if he'd had the technical experience to approach it better but instead he kind of flopped on top of Mayweather because he didn't have the skill or experience to exploit the opportunity. (EDIT: Also possible he either pulled punches due to what Dg said above about drawing it out or was fighting against instincts to follow up with moves that aren't part of boxing heh).

Last edited:
Caporegime
McGregor got stopped. The only reason the fight went on so long was because Mayweather wanted it to. Who knows if McGregor would make a decent fighter, but from what I've seen I'd say no better than anyone fighting at club level.
Club level? You obviously don't rate him but that's absolutely laughable.

Seems to be the UK audience is largely ripping him to pieces and the American audience has been giving him praise, as are a lot of former pros.

Soldato
@Pigeon_Killer It's fashionable to dig at CM over here so people are, regardless of his actual ability and outcome.

You need that bravado, showmanship and ego to be a great fighter, it is part of your persona and belief that you will win. Mayweather has it and McGregor has it.

CM is a great fighter driven by the fact he really wants to win, and importantly enjoys it. To those that dismiss him, it doesn't change that.

He has potential to be a great boxer due to his power and agility. You won't see many if any professional boxers go the other way and step into a ring with McGregor or equivalent under UFC rules. With the money in it (must be tempting), if CM sticks at boxing over a 36 month transition he will be a real title contender.

This was a showcase exhibition fight which was always going to and set up to divide opinion if only to gain media and critic attention.

Last edited:
Soldato
Club level? You obviously don't rate him but that's absolutely laughable.

Seems to be the UK audience is largely ripping him to pieces and the American audience has been giving him praise, as are a lot of former pros.

What am I suppose to rate exactly? What do you think is praise worthy?

He can't throw a shot, can't move, has no power. It was shocking for a pro debut. His fans might feel that's harsh but that's just what it was.

Caporegime
Considering Mayweather has been virtually having wet dreams about a 50-0 perfect record to see some people suggest that he "gave" McGregor a few rounds and the fight went as long as he wanted it to is pretty laughable. McGregor had more hits on him than a lot of other pro level boxers that he has fought and it only takes 1 or 2 of those to land the right way to put Mayweather on his arse. So no the fight didn't get "dictated" in length by Mayweather and no he didn't "give" him rounds. The only people making such idiotic claims are the ones that seemed to think it would be lucky lasting a round so they have to find some other way to try and "be right" when they weren't.

Caporegime
What am I suppose to rate exactly? What do you think is praise worthy?

He can't throw a shot, can't move, has no power. It was shocking for pro debut. His fans might feel that's harsh but that's just what it was.

Yeah lasting 10 rounds in his first Boxing match against a then 49-0 fighter was definitely a crap result. :rolleyes: Starting to think there's something in the water supply with some of the drivel i'm reading here.

Soldato
OP
Yeah lasting 10 rounds in his first Boxing match against a then 49-0 fighter was definitely a crap result. :rolleyes: Starting to think there's something in the water supply with some of the drivel i'm reading here.

your missing the point

it went that far because Mayweather wanted it to

Soldato

The fight went exactly as most people said. McGregor would stay on his feet for as long as he could take the beating. Well done McGregor.

Man of Honour
McGregor had more hits on him than a lot of other pro level boxers that he has fought and it only takes 1 or 2 of those to land the right way to put Mayweather on his arse.

At least a couple of times Mayweather worked McGregor onto the ropes very nicely forcing McGregor to bring his hands up but then McGregor fought back, when many boxers wouldn't have been able to, from that position when Mayweather underestimated his ability to come back from taking some pretty decent blows. If McGregor had been a more accomplished boxer he could have got some nice lefts off when Mayweather left himself exposed in those situations. Maybe not enough to decide the fight then and there but definitely enough impact Mayweather would have been wearing them the rest of the fight which could have made a big difference.

Caporegime
your missing the point

it went that far because Mayweather wanted it to

Read my post above, you honestly think mayweather would want to put his perfect record in jeopardy by playing games? A mayweather fight going long is hardly anything new. It's more of a surprise if anything if he actually gets involved in a short match for a change.

Caporegime
The fight went exactly as most people said. McGregor would stay on his feet for as long as he could take the beating. Well done McGregor.

"Most people" said it would be lucky to last a round or 2, now "most people" are flip flopping and backtracking and changing their tune after the fact in some sad effort to appear like Mystic Meg.

Soldato
OP
Read my post above, you honestly think mayweather would want to put his perfect record in jeopardy by playing games? A mayweather fight going long is hardly anything new. It's more of a surprise if anything if he actually gets involved in a short match for a change.

from round 3 everyone could see his record wasn't in no jeapordy

Soldato
OP
So McGregor landed all 100 plus hits inside 3 rounds? Doubt it. The fight was competitive in fits and starts upto around the 8th round.

his punches had no power. about 20 of those punches were illegal hammer fists to the top or back of his head

had it been two boxers he would have had points taken or dq'd tbh

The fight was never competitive stop believing the hype :o:o

Caporegime
his punches had no power. about 20 of those punches were illegal hammer fists to the top or back of his head

had it been two boxers he would have had points taken or dq'd tbh

Illegal blows don't get counted as legitimate hits as far as i'm aware. And that was basically just his instincts kicking in as in mma thats legal.

Soldato
"Most people" said it would be lucky to last a round or 2, now "most people" are flip flopping and backtracking and changing their tune after the fact in some sad effort to appear like Mystic Meg.

Go shout at most people. Although Mayweather of a few years ago would have probably beat him within a couple of round to be fair. That was probably one of the easiest fights Mayweather has had.

Soldato
OP
Stop believing the hype

Connor stepped up, went out his comfort zone and made a shed load of money fair play to him

But never sit there and think it was ever competitive

he got schooled

Caporegime
Go shout at most people. Although Mayweather of a few years ago would have probably beat him within a couple of round to be fair. That was probably one of the easiest fights Mayweather has had.

Mayweather as of a few years ago still would have been in defensive mode so a quick match wouldn't have been likely.

Back
Top Bottom