• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
You can never have too many. :p

I'm just enjoying the extra performance and features it offers over my Radeon Pro Duo's. I'm loving Enhanced Sync and High Bandwidth Cahce, plus switching to an Ultra Wide display, it's got me back interested in gaming again.

When have you ever seen me talk about unannounced products or say driver x will be available on date x? :p

very similar here...I was getting so cheesed off with PC gaming when on the old 390 crossfire...it was doing my head in. Got close to me just chinning off PC gaming totally for a year, I wanted a Vega 64, but was not prepared to pay more than £500 for one. I was very surprised the first batch sold for £449, while that was still pretty high, it was a lot lower than I expected so jumped on it. Turns out looking back on it, it's the best move I played, and since then just been loving gaming with it. Couldn't care less its over a year late for same performance, its a decent upgrade and right now it offers the same perf as the competition so being late really matters not to me.

I'm back smiling whilst gaming again. There are a few bugs in the driver ( HEVC encoding option doesn't appear in drop down, and on AVC it wont let me record anything) but I'm sure things will get ironed out and improved over time. I need to get you on Steam as well buddy ;)

Caporegime
very similar here...I was getting so cheesed off with PC gaming when on the old 390 crossfire...it was doing my head in. Got close to me just chinning off PC gaming totally for a year, I wanted a Vega 64, but was not prepared to pay more than £500 for one. I was very surprised the first batch sold for £449, while that was still pretty high, it was a lot lower than I expected so jumped on it. Turns out looking back on it, it's the best move I played, and since then just been loving gaming with it. Couldn't care less its over a year late for same performance, its a decent upgrade and right now it offers the same perf as the competition so being late really matters not to me.

I'm back smiling whilst gaming again. There are a few bugs in the driver ( HEVC encoding option doesn't appear in drop down, and on AVC it wont let me record anything) but I'm sure things will get ironed out and improved over time. I need to get you on Steam as well buddy ;)
Drop me your addy via inbox and I'll add you.

I'm mostly playing BF1 and reisdent evil 7 at the moment, it's nice to be able to finally max out the settings on those games. 4GB just wasn't enough before.

Caporegime
Drop me your addy via inbox and I'll add you.

I'm mostly playing BF1 and reisdent evil 7 at the moment, it's nice to be able to finally max out the settings on those games. 4GB just wasn't enough before.

Ask amd wtf is going on with the Aio cards, this amount of random failures is either a bad batch or something else is going on.

Soldato
Guess there's no point asking when will the Vega Nano launch? Lol, they look soooo cute lol.

Reading the tea leaves my guessimate is they release most of the various Vega this year :p surely they want to put this all out prior to any volta hype and volta might not even be so great in a consumer iteration exactly but just the maybe might steal sales where as release the shiny nano this year and it'll get sales in. Plus some people just refuse to buy till they get exactly what they want AIB etc and under warranty

Seemed relevant. They mention points of failure like a water temp of 60c which never should happen. That would be like touching the reservoir and getting a little burnt lol. If I check AIO by touch it feels like body temp which I presume is ok. Does anyone ever monitor the water temp itself, not the block or core temp
Edit: Actually I possess a laser to read temps. Back of CPU AIO block is 32 {35}, the reservoir is like 33{35}, tubes 28{33}
Radeon black case is 28c{35}, back grill {49}even which is similarly the case temp and motherboard. In a bit I'll repeat furmark and load the 8 core CPU, label the load temps inside { c}
Idle temp is gpu 30c{70} cpu 43c{64}

Last edited:
Soldato
For whatever reason, I never successfully ran a bench mark with HBCC enabled up to now - just got my highest Timespy score with it enabled though (8125 graphics score - clocks 1702, 1752 states 6 & 7 and 1080 on HBM). It's not a huge increase from my score at these clocks with it disabled but it did correct the 'Time Measurement Data not available' error I had received on the what must be close to 50 previous Timespy benchmarks I've ran since installing my Vega. No idea why that would be, I must try Timespy with it disabled again to see if the error comes back and determine if it was just a coincidence or not...

Edit: Just tried Firestrike this time and the time measurement error is back so maybe just a fluke. Does anyone know any steps to take to try and get rid of that error? I've had it on all 3 drivers with my Vega 64...

Last edited:

Asa

Asa

Associate
I spent ages with Wattman this evening trying to figure out why my Vega 64 was so sporadic in giving adequate clocks for my games. Under load I've seen core clocks ranging from 300 Mhz to 2865 (?!), with framerates fluctuating all over the place and clock rates seeming completely out of touch with current loads and demands. By contrast, my frustration levels were just about capped the whole time.

Eventually I realised that Wattman was the cause of my problems. The card performs far more consistently if I navigate away from Wattman.

Soldato
I spent ages with Wattman this evening trying to figure out why my Vega 64 was so sporadic in giving adequate clocks for my games. Under load I've seen core clocks ranging from 300 Mhz to 2865 (?!), with framerates fluctuating all over the place and clock rates seeming completely out of touch with current loads and demands.

Eventually I realised that Wattman was the cause of my problems. The card performs far more consistently if I navigate away from Wattman.
The core clock on Vega will vary depending on the game or load but the variance is usually within 50 MHz, between 1650 and 1700 for example (on the liquid cooled cards). There is no way your card's core clock goes over 2000 so something is not right. Worth a clean uninstall / reinstall of the drivers I would think...

Asa

Asa

Associate
The core clock on Vega will vary depending on the game or load but the variance is usually within 50 MHz, between 1650 and 1700 for example (on the liquid cooled cards). There is no way your card's core clock goes over 2000 so something is not right. Worth a clean uninstall / reinstall of the drivers I would think...

Oh I know 2865 wasn't "real". At the point that it was giving those core readings, the fan speed was ~800RPM and the temperature was 68 degrees. Still, I took a screenshot of Wattman so I could reassure myself that I wasn't imagining it.

I am still learning the ins and outs of Vega, but when it works well it can happily sit well below the peak clocks if it is delivering the framerate it is supposed to (ie in my case if it hits 4k60 with room to spare it will downclock automatically, which is really nice when the card is so... temperature challenged).

Still, with Wattman open I see terrible performance issues in games that I know the card can handle, and core clocks that suggest the software simply hasn't recognised that I need the card to put some effort in. I spent ages tweaking various settings in Wattman and the rest of the Radeon settings panel before it twigged that Wattman was causing me problems, and now that I know I am quite content with the performance of the card. Now I just need to get it under water :)

Associate
Good news!

I connected three monitors to Vega, and it stays at lowest power setting!
And it is not a simplest setup to drive:
2560x1440 144Hz DP
1920x1200 60Hz HDMI
1920x1080 60Hz DP

Triple monitor power consumption is finally in check.

Back
Top Bottom