• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
I am an Apple fan, MASSIVE one. I have had iPhones for 10 years, Apple TV, iPods, MBP, iMacs, iPads, the lot pretty much but there is a point where I am thinking….the competition has caught up now to a point where I can't really justify the price difference. Before the gap was quite big and the experience is what kept me in and at the moment…..I am going to dip my toes into Android to check out the competition, see how close they are and if they are really that far behind and if the iPhone really worth the extra £800….

Android is way ahead of Apple, I've had wireless charging since 2015 when the s6 was out, storage is also way ahead, I have a 128gb sd card in my s7 edge which cost me £16, now I'd have to spend £1000 to only get 64GB.. also they said the iPhone is only water resistant not waterproof like my s7 edge is.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The iPhone 8 is the direct replacement for the 7, the iPhone x is the luxury model.

For those that can't justify the extra money just get the iPhone 8?

Caporegime
Thanks for that but now this has identified other serious flaws with a face only unlocking system...

Anyone in your home will be able to nab your phone and point it towards you and have full access to your phone.

Also what if you just want to check your notifications or the time ,it's going to unlock your phone every time you just glance at your phone and will pose another security problem.

It's interesting as a choice but not at a mandatory level.

The problem can be alleviated with Touch ID built in under the screen and we know Android flagships next year will have it but what are the chances of apple putting Touch ID back into the iPhone after removing it...seems very unlikely to me?

Oh yeah….at the moment you can wake it up to check the time (clock). Now you look at it, it unlocks. And the clock is now tiny at the top in the corner.

Soldato
Hard to argue a 64GB iPhone X at probably over £70 a month on a standard contract is more than twice as good as an S8 at £30 a month though...

I am a big iPhone fan and have been using them since 2009 (3GS) but the £1,000 price tag for a 64Gb is a few steps too far. The iPhone X is basically what we should be getting as a replacement for a design which apple have been selling for 3 years (now 4 years with the iPhone 8).

A Samsung S8 can be had for £36per month with 30Gb of data and unlimited minutes and texts and from using the wife's S8 its a very nice phone. Yes the iPhone X8 looks nice but it doesn't seem to be worth the asking price.

Soldato
Android is way ahead of Apple, I've had wireless charging since 2015 when the s6 was out, storage is also way ahead, I have a 128gb sd card in my s7 edge which cost me £16, now I'd have to spend £1000 to only get 64GB.. also they said the iPhone is only water resistant not waterproof like my s7 edge is.

Pah 2015? I used it on my first proper tablet, the glorious HP Touchpad back in 2011.

Caporegime
Are the new apple phones useable underwater?

I guess you just unlock with good old fashion pass code.

The phone I ordered do not have wireless charging, I don't see that as a make or break feature. I don't even think it has external storage….but I am not bothered about that. My iPhone is is 64G and I have 10G left in it. I do like a bigger screen, more snappy user experience. That's it really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
OP

Wireless charging for example doesn't solve the problems Android has had for years. I wish it was better in my view as I like the S8 and would have one if I was purely looking at hardware etc.

Associate
Thanks for that but now this has identified other serious flaws with a face only unlocking system...

Anyone in your home will be able to nab your phone and point it towards you and have full access to your phone.

Also what if you just want to check your notifications or the time ,it's going to unlock your phone every time you just glance at your phone and will pose another security problem.

It's interesting as a choice but not at a mandatory level.

The problem can be alleviated with Touch ID built in under the screen and we know Android flagships next year will have it but what are the chances of apple putting Touch ID back into the iPhone after removing it...seems very unlikely to me?
I wouldn't be so sure...

I don't believe it will be as wide spread as you think.

Both Samsung and Apple failed to do so this year, whether they'll nail it next year is a different story. If the two top players struggled what chances do the others have.

There was rumours that the S9 at least will stick with a traditional fingerprint next year - from KGI, the same company who "Predicted" pretty much everything correctly for the iPhone X.

Though we're still a bit away from the S9, but Samsung definitely arent in a rush to do it especially as Apple didn't incorporate it.

The S7 edge isn't waterpoof.

No phone is waterproof.

The S7 is water resistant.
With Samsung's most resilient mobile device yet, you can run in the rain and play in the mud, spill on it, splash it, dunk it, then wipe it off and keep going. The IP68 dust- and water-resistance Ingress Protection rating means your device is completely protected against dust, and it is water-resistant in up to 5 feet of water for up to 30 minutes. Your device has also passed military specification (MIL-STD-810G) testing against a subset of 20 specific environmental conditions, including temperature, dust and sand, shock and vibration, low pressure, and high altitude. Device may not perform in all extreme conditions.
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00047867/

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I was expecting innovation but instead got regurgitated old tech being sold as new with a massive price tag.

It looks as though manufactures have reached a point where innovation has stalled and ideas are lacking.

Caporegime
They used Brexit and the changing market rates as the reason to essentially use £/$ parity, it really shouldn't be the case as I guarantee you when we return to $1.40 it will still be £/$ parity on these products.

That was actually relatively true last time as it was only the UK that had that much of a price rise. This time it appears to have affected both the UK and Canada to the same amount, so less "rip of Britain", more "rip of everywhere outside the US".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom