• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who actually has an i5-8400?

Associate
I see lots of praise on this CPU from review sites about gaming performance, but a lack of information from actual buyers. I also see OCuk is now sold out of i5-8400's.

To those of you who own an 8400 - does your own performance match the reviews?

Last edited:
Soldato
Would be interested in this also, many people are talking about the 8400 and I am torn between this and a Ryzen...however there doesn't seem to be anywhere near the same 'showcase' on this forum of i5 8400 buyers compared to the swarms of Ryzen when it was released.

Soldato
Would be interested in this also, many people are talking about the 8400 and I am torn between this and a Ryzen...however there doesn't seem to be anywhere near the same 'showcase' on this forum of i5 8400 buyers compared to the swarms of Ryzen when it was released.

Intel killed the impact the 8400 should have. Could have been the new Xeon 5650 TBH.

Soldato
I have one sitting next to me, but no motherboard to put it in. Should be here tomorrow or the next day (an ASRock Z370 Gaming K6). Also have a 16GB 3866MHz CL18 DDR4 kit that it'll be paired with (which was mispriced elsewhere), so it won't be wanting for memory bandwidth. I'm interested to see how it performs, purely for gaming and paired with a 1080 Ti.

Soldato
I have one sitting next to me, but no motherboard to put it in. Should be here tomorrow or the next day (an ASRock Z370 Gaming K6). Also have a 16GB 3866MHz CL18 DDR4 kit that it'll be paired with (which was mispriced elsewhere), so it won't be wanting for memory bandwidth. I'm interested to see how it performs, purely for gaming.

Fingers crossed you can hit 3866Mhz with the 8400.

Soldato
Fingers crossed you can hit 3866Mhz with the 8400.
The kit is on the motherboard's QVL, so it stands every chance. I think most Intel IMCs are about equal these days, given there are videos of even chips like the Pentium G4560 happily running those sort of speeds on Youtube (with a Z270 board obviously, since you're limited on more appropriate ones).

Soldato
The kit is on the motherboard's QVL, so it stands every chance. I think most Intel IMCs are about equal these days, given there are videos of even chips like the Pentium G4560 happily running those sort of speeds on Youtube.

If it means anything my 8700k was able to hit 3866 with minimal tweaking. Then 4000mhz with spending 5mins longer in the bios.

Soldato
The kit is on the motherboard's QVL, so it stands every chance. I think most Intel IMCs are about equal these days, given there are videos of even chips like the Pentium G4560 happily running those sort of speeds on Youtube (with a Z270 board obviously, since you're limited on more appropriate ones).

Seem the best chips become the 8700K.

Permabanned
They have a shortage of everything though. Seems like it'll be wasted on a chip that's locked to 4ghz.

Does anyone actually know what determines whether a chip has a strong Imc or not? Is it directly linked to core performance?

Soldato
They have a shortage of everything though. Seems like it'll be wasted on a chip that's locked to 4ghz.

Does anyone actually know what determines whether a chip has a strong Imc or not? Is it directly linked to core performance?

It's probably a bit early to tell just yet. Seems like all we have had in the UK is the Malay chips.

Soldato

Speaking on my ryzen experience, this isn't the case. I've seen chips do 4.0/4.1 but couldn't get more than 3200 out of ram. I was on 3.9 and could get 3466.
Never got into memory overclocking until then.

Permabanned
Speaking on my ryzen experience, this isn't the case. I've seen chips do 4.0/4.1 but couldn't get more than 3200 out of ram. I was on 3.9 and could get 3466.
Never got into memory overclocking until then.
Yeah but that's Ryzen which is quite funny with memory it may well be different for Intel.

Also we know that max overclocks have an effect on the Imc. What I'm saying is, is their a relation between those cpu's that can clock high and strong Imc? Does a weak clocking chip have a weak Imc?

Back
Top Bottom