**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
The 5 minutes I looked at it in EE, I didn't notice any problems with the screen, colours on photos seemed accurate. Thinking that I should go back and have another look now.

Associate
I went to carphone warehouse today.... unfortunately I spotted all of these issues... its really odd the screen is wildly inconsistent, dull, and overly warm... I'll say this though, I do believe Googles reasoning for sRGB... if you notice inside applications the blues are way more punchy( as opposed to in the home screen/OS general) - clearly this is where the app colour profile takes over.... the whole issue may be at least partly resolvable by software update.

Unfortunately, my decision has been made... performance is amazing but the screen is poor...and ultimately that renders the camera useless as the screen is effectively the viewfinder and the output. I really wanted to love it.

Soldato
I asked Google a couple of weeks ago but they were being really shifty in answering my question. Anyways, I kept hounding them and they have admitted that the xl2 is not capable of being an hdr device so no support for Netflix or Amazon I'm afraid.

Associate
Surely if the display on the XL is as bad as some of the reviews and owners in the US are saying, Google will have to do something? For a £800 device, there will be a lot of disappointed customers if it is bad, and probably plenty of returns and order cancellations....

Soldato
Surely if the display on the XL is as bad as some of the reviews and owners in the US are saying, Google will have to do something? For a £800 device, there will be a lot of disappointed customers if it is bad, and probably plenty of returns and order cancellations....

Google will do something - their customer service seems pretty decent from what I've seen

Associate
Google will do something - their customer service seems pretty decent from what I've seen
I agree, but if a large proportion of the devices have dodgy screens, what will they do? Can't see them replacing screens with a new panel, potentially swap phones with new devices with good screens? Will cost them a fair bit I reckon!

Permabanned
OP
I went to carphone warehouse today.... unfortunately I spotted all of these issues... its really odd the screen is wildly inconsistent, dull, and overly warm... I'll say this though, I do believe Googles reasoning for sRGB... if you notice inside applications the blues are way more punchy( as opposed to in the home screen/OS general) - clearly this is where the app colour profile takes over.... the whole issue may be at least partly resolvable by software update.

Unfortunately, my decision has been made... performance is amazing but the screen is poor...and ultimately that renders the camera useless as the screen is effectively the viewfinder and the output. I really wanted to love it.

I wonder if you are making "a mountain out of a mole hill". I too have read about the graininess issue on LG OLED phone screens but wonder if the average user will ever notice unless they are really trained to look for this issue.

Why do I say this?

I have read a number of the reviews and comments. Boiling it down, it seems to me that the most obvious case where this issue is to be noticed is in a dark room with zero percent brightness, which occurs in the "night use" case. When there is a solid background you will see the grain if you look hard at it. If you are not in the night use case, the "grain" is much less noticeable.

In one review I read it said the photos of the "grain" are meant to be exaggerated comparisons rather than a realistic representation of what the screen looks like in the dark. So I ask myself, how useful is this in general for most users and how useful is this really in my use case. I do not intend to use the phone mainly in the night use case, in fact I use it in this case rarely. I do like to sleep at night and not view my phone with such a critical eye.

When I saw the screen up close the other day (during the day) I was very pleased with it. Each person will need to decide this issue themselves but for me the "grain" issue is a non-issue.

Soldato
That huge search bar on every home screen is a pain. Why do google not let us get rid of it on the launcher. It's ugly & a pain.

Yeah that's something else I dislike about the new Pixels. This is what I currently have. You know what I call this? Sheer ******* bliss.
storm_framed.png

Soldato
I'm glad I cancelled my Pixel 2 XL for other reasons. Went to a CPW and had a good look at the 2 XL. Having read various complaints I looked at the screen and it is quite poor compared to the Pixel 2 screen.

If only the Pixel 2 had a bigger screen. Pay £800 and above and you will be in for some disappointment.

Shame really.

Permabanned
OP
My non XL arrived today, woot woot!

Great news! I hope you enjoy it as much as I will enjoy my XL when it arrives next month.

One area that I am really looking forward to playing with is Google's growing efforts with AR (artificial reality) apps, which will become increasingly evident with Google Lens. As you may recall, Google's AR efforts are based on their ARCore platform which they are offering to devs to build upon.

Therefore I was pleased that Samsung, which often goes its own way on software (ahem!) has today partnered with Google to bring ARCore to Galaxy devices, rather than attempting to fragment Android AR. This should be a huge boost for ARCore and I look forward to growing dev interest and apps.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/18...-google-ar-core-partnership-augmented-reality

Back
Top Bottom