Associate
So I bought a
MSI GT72 6QE-264UK Dominator Po 17.3" FHD IPS G-SYNC, Intel
i7-6820HK, NVIDIA GTX 980M 8GB GDDR5 Gaming Laptop from OVERCLOCKERS Last december 19, 2015.
At around May 2017, The laptop had a problem, it would suddenly shutdown on its own without any reason. So it was sent for repair to D&J henry, official partner of MSI in UK. They said " The fault with your unit was repaired by fitting mainboard and VGA. The unit passed all MSI tests and is working to manufacturer specifications."

2nd Time. Around July 2017, same problem happened and I got this reply from them " Unfortunately, we cannot offer you a replacement at the time. As per company policy, if the same fault occurs 3 times or different faults occur 4 times within a warranty period in a unit, then we need to collect your unit in Poland to confirm the fault by our technicians. Only under these circumstances can we offer you a swap/replacement or refund."

I was told that " Our engineer have re-checked the laptop after updating the BIOS and EX firmware and no trouble found with it. " I have to refute that statement because I have a video as proof that the same problem happened again.

3rd time Come around August 2017, The laptop they sent me back had the same problem. Again I have taken a video as proof for it. So the laptop was shipped to MSI and was shipped back to me, without the exterior box as extra layer of protection. They took the outer box, making the laptop vulnerable for in-transit damage. This is what they said, "
Your laptop is working fine after re-installing the windows.

I’ve got information from the engineer that the laptop is working fine and it’s been shipped back to you on 1-09-2017."

Come October, the same problem happened. and again, I was able to capture a video of the problem. So Im about to send it for replacement, as I qualify as per company policy, but, their customer support says that Im only qualified for another repair. And that he escalated it to the manager already. This is their policy and clearly I qualify for a replacement or something, "if the same fault occurs 3 times or different faults occur 4 times within a warranty period" Im afraid that they are just toying me until the warranty expires. Its a premium laptop worth 2,200 pounds it's not supposed to perform like that. Im about to send it for the 4th time tomorrow. I don't know if there are any MSI reps that can help here.

Associate
OP
Can I get support from overclockers as purchased the item from them? or should I contact the ombudsman for this?

Soldato
Your consumer rights are actually with the retailer and not the manufacturer - ideally you should have taken it up with overclockers to begin with.

I would collect all evidence, including videos (upload them to YouTube as unlisted) and send it to them, along with what you would like them to do. Explain how it's been sent off etc multiple times, fix is only temporary and you're worried that the warranty will expire.

Associate
Your consumer rights are actually with the retailer and not the manufacturer - ideally you should have taken it up with overclockers to begin with.

I would collect all evidence, including videos (upload them to YouTube as unlisted) and send it to them, along with what you would like them to do. Explain how it's been sent off etc multiple times, fix is only temporary and you're worried that the warranty will expire.

sounds like a manufacturer issues to me if the parts keep breaking no?

ANyway ask for a refund or replacement if it keeps breaking.

also just to kick you whilst your down (sorry mate!) - but your model was supposed to be upgradedable to a 10 series card (https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/msi-mis-sold-gt72-gt80-with-mxm-graphics.18746748/ see here) so you should be included on this deal, note we got GT73 VR 7RF with 1080 upgrades ( I had similar model as you) as you for approx. £500 quid so you might want to investigate this however slower MSI are.....

@natarie @Loki alternatively if he doesn't want an upgrade, can you help him on the warranty issue?

Associate
also don't expect much help from MSI mate, if you paid via credit card, chargeback the purchase and go from there if you are unhappy with it always the best solution and quickest to get your cash back

Soldato
sounds like a manufacturer issues to me if the parts keep breaking no?

ANyway ask for a refund or replacement if it keeps breaking.

also just to kick you whilst your down (sorry mate!) - but your model was supposed to be upgradedable to a 10 series card (https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/msi-mis-sold-gt72-gt80-with-mxm-graphics.18746748/ see here) so you should be included on this deal, note we got GT73 VR 7RF with 1080 upgrades ( I had similar model as you) as you for approx. £500 quid so you might want to investigate this however slower MSI are.....

@natarie @Loki alternatively if he doesn't want an upgrade, can you help him on the warranty issue?

I'm just quoting the consumer rights act - it seems backwards but that's just how it is

Associate
Have the same laptop, mine also broke twice and took 3 months to RMA the first time.

Try to get help via overclockers, MSI support is seemingly a waste of time.

Back
Top Bottom