Ryzen or Coffee Lake

Associate
Following on from my other monitor and GPU threads, I've come to the conclusion that a build upgrade is needed. I will list my current build for reference:

Gigabyte GA Z68
I5 2500k @ 4.2ghz ( 212+ cooler)
16gb corsair ddr3
Gtx 970 msi
Xfx 700 psu
AOC 24"

I have on order a 1440p 144hz 27 inch G Sync monitor, I will also be ordering a 1080ti soon.

I've put together these 2 different possible builds from AMD and Intel.

Intel i5-8600k
Asus ROG Z370 HERO ARC
Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB 3600MHZ

AND Ryzen 7 1700x AM4
Asus RIG Crosshair GO Hero X370
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2666MHZ

Opinions welcome and any advice on which is the better build, or if there is anything better and/or cheaper than what I've listed.

Thanks.

Soldato
Without doubt I'd pick the 8600K over the 1700X - better IPC and most gaming benchmarks (not representative of everyday usage, I know) show the 8600k ahead. For gaming (and I'm assuming you are given the planned 1080ti) it'd be the 8600K all day long for me.

Also, though the ROG motherboards are good, you're paying a premium for that branding. There are equally good motherboards that cost less.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I should have said, the PC is primarily used for gaming, a mixture of all kinds of games. Other than that it's just the usual windows applications and internet streaming, etc. No photo/video editing, etc.

@ExRayTed so the Intel is the better option for gaming then. I had assumed that the extra cores of the AMD would only benefit with heavy multi tasking and editing applications and from researching benchmarking results, it seems the i5 performs better core for core individually.

As for motherboards then, could you recommend any other than the ROG line which are cheaper and equal quality? As I'm not 100% sure in regards to these.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the link, like you say, shame about the orange theme as I currently have a blue LED lighting theme, but suppose it could be changed, not too much of a hassle if it came to it.

Man of Honour
Cheers for the link, like you say, shame about the orange theme as I currently have a blue LED lighting theme, but suppose it could be changed, not too much of a hassle if it came to it.

i beg your pardon, the board is actually rgb. should have no issues with your blue led lighting then =)
and you get a £20 steam voucher with this board #win

Associate
OP
i beg your pardon, the board is actually rgb. should have no issues with your blue led lighting then =)
and you get a £20 steam voucher with this board #win
You are right! After a bit of digging I can see it is RGB, that's that problem solved.

If it's anything like Gigabytes previous mobo's then I'm sure it will be reliable aswell, looks like a good contender then :D

Soldato
what is the purpose of the pc? ryzen is better at multi-threaded stuff vs the i5 (6c12t vs 6c6t)

just to point out the 1700x is 8c/16t, not 6/12.

if you did decide to go ryzen you would want faster ram - ~3000/3200

for me, i'd personally go with the ryzen. coffee lake (lga 1151) is a dead end upgrade wise, that may not have any bearing on you though. going the ryzen route will offer zen+/zen2 upgrade path. coffee lake has the pure 'grunt' (moar ghz) but the difference in gaming in the 2 platforms is minimal in most instances.

not looked at pricing comparisons, but if you can get the 1700x and faster memory at a decent price saving over coffee lake it would be my choice but that's just my personal opinion

Associate
Following on from my other monitor and GPU threads, I've come to the conclusion that a build upgrade is needed. I will list my current build for reference:

Gigabyte GA Z68
I5 2500k @ 4.2ghz ( 212+ cooler)
16gb corsair ddr3
Gtx 970 msi
Xfx 700 psu
AOC 24"

I have on order a 1440p 144hz 27 inch G Sync monitor, I will also be ordering a 1080ti soon.

I've put together these 2 different possible builds from AMD and Intel.

Intel i5-8600k
Asus ROG Z370 HERO ARC
Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB 3600MHZ

AND Ryzen 7 1700x AM4
Asus RIG Crosshair GO Hero X370
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2666MHZ

Opinions welcome and any advice on which is the better build, or if there is anything better and/or cheaper than what I've listed.

Thanks.
https://wccftech.com/review/intel-core-i7-8700k-core-i5-8600k-core-i5-8400-cpu-review/8/

That page has loads of game benchmarks at 1440p using a 1080ti. Features 8600k v 1700x.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £589.36 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Or

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £588.36 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Need a decent cooler for each option.

Last edited:
Soldato
Above suggestions from South is solid !

I've got i5 8400 - launched at £170 and is a stunner if a chip , specially if your gaming at 1440p+ although haven't had a bottle neck yet at 1080p :D
But if you've got the budget for K version sweet

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, thanks @southernorth for the baskets.

I am edging towards the Intel build as this is what I've always done and it seems the i5 has better clock for clock gaming performance. Also the Ryzen and Intel build come in at roughly the same price so I'm guessing it's down to my personal preference.

Would my Hyper 212+ EVO cooler that I currently use, still be compatible and good with the i5 8600k?

Also, I'm guessing these new motherboards are spacious enough to house my new 1080ti (triple slot), and still have the use of a PCI slot for my soundcard? Without compromising air flow, etc.

Man of Honour
212+ evo is an entry level cooler, you could use it initially and see how you get on with it then change if you need to.

Just use the bottom PCI slot so it won't interfere with the GPU

Associate
OP
212+ evo is an entry level cooler, you could use it initially and see how you get on with it then change if you need to.

Just use the bottom PCI slot so it won't interfere with the GPU
Ok thanks. I will look into better coolers after I've got the build together I think.

Yeah I thought so, looks enough clearance on that board anyway so should be good.

Back
Top Bottom