Street Fighter (SFIV, SSFIV, HDR)

Associate
Got my Madcatz stick coming this aft. I've not played SF for years due to hating playing with a pad (owned SF4 but only messed around) and I've been getting owned. Looking forward to relearning everything and getting those combos down.

Best character to go with for someone who last played (at a reasonable level) SF2 etc in the arcades? I want to get good at this but there's so many to choose from.

Associate
Got my Madcatz stick coming this aft. I've not played SF for years due to hating playing with a pad (owned SF4 but only messed around) and I've been getting owned. Looking forward to relearning everything and getting those combos down.

Best character to go with for someone who last played (at a reasonable level) SF2 etc in the arcades? I want to get good at this but there's so many to choose from.
I'd suggest going through the trials and seeing which character you like the feel of. They're all viable, to certain extents; just some are harder work than others.

Associate
Thanks, I'll make a point of doing that in the next few days.

I usually play with Ken but understand he's a bit generic and predictable. When I go against a lot of the other characters I can't read them and get beat easily.

I'm going to try some quick characters and see how I get on.

Soldato
He runs a monetised YouTube channel focused on SFV, and has posting a number of videos about growing the channel. If that's a reach then I think you'd only believe a shovel existed if it whacked you square in the face :p
His channel existed before SF5 and covered other fighting games as well. While i never disagreed that having a thriving SF5 is in his interest, the reach is assuming that without SF5 he wouldnt have other content to cover and as a small channel, needs to do his best to defend street fighter.

Associate
Well, got my stick and can't get on with the square gate at all. Think it stems from being used to round/octa gates on the older UK arcades in the 90s, wasn't expecting it to be so different. I know your not supposed to ride the gate but that's sort of what I'm used to (muscle memory etc). Also the stick on the Madcatz feels short, wonder if that's all in my head though, just remember feeling more freedom of movement where I could flick my wrist round for fireballs etc. With this stick I have to hold it in a weird way or the bottom of my hand is rubbing on the base. The spring could use more stiffening but I can live with that. I've sent off for an octagonal gate so will see if that improves things.

Anyone else have the same issues? What mods/improvements worked for you?

Soldato
Well, got my stick and can't get on with the square gate at all. Think it stems from being used to round/octa gates on the older UK arcades in the 90s, wasn't expecting it to be so different. I know your not supposed to ride the gate but that's sort of what I'm used to (muscle memory etc). Also the stick on the Madcatz feels short, wonder if that's all in my head though, just remember feeling more freedom of movement where I could flick my wrist round for fireballs etc. With this stick I have to hold it in a weird way or the bottom of my hand is rubbing on the base. The spring could use more stiffening but I can live with that. I've sent off for an octagonal gate so will see if that improves things.

Anyone else have the same issues? What mods/improvements worked for you?

Hold the stick like this qmSQB7h.png
larNG

Associate
I think the best thing really is just to keep practicing with the joystick as it is. If you haven't used a stick in years then you will be bad to start with. Just keep at it and I think things will improve.

Yeah, maybe that's what it will take, the sticks on the arcade were a lot taller looking into it. Just didn't expect to be worse than with a pad haha. I did get about 300% better after a few hours but 300% of bad is not saying much.

Hold the stick like this qmSQB7h.png
larNG

I'll try that. I started holding it like that but between the top 2 fingers with hand closed. I'm used to more clearance on the taller sticks.

Thanks for the feedback.

Soldato
To be fair, unless you particularly enjoy using a stick, I don't think there's much advantage to using one in SFV. Ed, for example, benefits from piano actions and I still believe charge characters play better on stick, but pad is fine for SFV. It's all personal preference I guess. I hated the PS4 pad, but love the Hori Fight Commander I have. My bro has gone pad > stick > pad and swears the movement is a million miles better on pad.

Permabanned
To be fair, unless you particularly enjoy using a stick, I don't think there's much advantage to using one in SFV. Ed, for example, benefits from piano actions and I still believe charge characters play better on stick, but pad is fine for SFV. It's all personal preference I guess. I hated the PS4 pad, but love the Hori Fight Commander I have. My bro has gone pad > stick > pad and swears the movement is a million miles better on pad.

But it's nostalgic bro!!11 Arcade stick!!!! we were better when we played it in the Arcades!!

Man of Honour
The only real advantage of an arcade stick is that you always have the same feel no matter what platform you are playing on.

A huge proportion of the most successful SFV players are pad users.

Associate
But it's nostalgic bro!!11 Arcade stick!!!! we were better when we played it in the Arcades!!

HaHa, definitely feeling my age, reaction skills are non existent nowadays.

The only real advantage of an arcade stick is that you always have the same feel no matter what platform you are playing on.

I thought the button layout would help on a stick but it took me by surprise how many times I'm hitting the wrong buttons. Is throw best on LP+LK or assigned to its own button. I have trouble quickly hitting throw with LP+LK. I have the 7 and 8 buttons as all three punches/kicks at the moment. I was thinking making the 7 and 8 buttons throw and V trigger.

Associate
I'm used to having HP/HK on the left (ala SF2) so need to change that to LP/LK first in descending order I think. Hitting LP/LK would be easier for throw if they were on the left (atm there on 5 and 6). I really need to get SF2 out of my play style as old habits are 50% of my problem I think. This game has completely changed obviously since then.

Considering getting the season 2 and 3 passes (have the first). Is acquiring FM to buy all chars as hard as they make out?

Soldato

That's true and what I was alluding to. I can't stand stick, but admire those who can use it!

I'm used to having HP/HK on the left (ala SF2) so need to change that to LP/LK first in descending order I think. Hitting LP/LK would be easier for throw if they were on the left (atm there on 5 and 6). I really need to get SF2 out of my play style as old habits are 50% of my problem I think. This game has completely changed obviously since then.

Considering getting the season 2 and 3 passes (have the first). Is acquiring FM to buy all chars as hard as they make out?

It's more of grind than it was before, that's a fact. I buy the season passes, because I play the game a lot. If you're just getting back into it, I'd leave it and just use FM for the characters that take your fancy.

Soldato
Got kinda used to the pad for SF5 as I sold my stick years ago, but I really struggle with hit confirms, or combos that require combinations of light punch / light kick (crouch / standing) in quick succession. Just can't get my thumb to press the buttons quick enough, but also can't play with index and middle finger on the pad to tap combos out.

Picking up a stick in the next couple hours, so hopefully with practise it helps me improve.

Back
Top Bottom