**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Where's the best place to order tyres only for delivery these days?
Just booked my wheels in for a refurb next week and I'm getting fresh tyres delivered directly to the refurb place.
Looking for GY F1AS3 in 215/45R17, have tried BlackCircles, MyTyres and Camskill...BlackCircles are cheapest so far (delivery only). Any other places people would consider?

Soldato
Small update to my fitting by tyresonthedrive.com. It turned out the guy had broken 3 of the 4 TPMS and when I went to have my service and MOT on Monday, the place my guys use for the MOT said the warning light on the dash meant instant fail. I did some Googleing and found it only matters on cars 2012 onwards, but they were having none of it.

No matter, I rang a local garage who said it would be fine and got it done a couple of days later.

What I was then left with was the need to replace all the TPMS, Ford UK wouldn't get them for me, so importing them at £55 each, plus shipping, plus fitting...

I emailed tyresonthedrive expecting a "oh dear, that's bad luck" but actually 5 days later I've got a guy coming out to take a look. He took one wheel off and could hear the TPMS knocking about inside. I posed to him either I'm really unlucky, their guy did a great job and in the last 10 days they've just broken on their own... or... their guy did it/knew about it and didn't mention it to me. He spoke to someone on the phone and then told me keep my receipts, they've cover all costs. A small hassle for me, but can't say fairer than that I guess. We'll see how it actually turns out.

Soldato
Got 4x Continental Crosscontacts in 215/60/17 from a Kwik fit type chain for our Dodge Caliber - paid the equivalent of £185 for the lot including fitting and balancing. Was slightly concerned they might have been fake but they look identical to the pictures I've seen, and have totally transformed the car. The previous BF Goodrich tyres had loads of tread left but were 7 years old and lethal in the wet - even in the dry, the back of the car would feel like it was swaying when cornering hard.

Annoyingly, all they had for my Audi was ditch finders / normal priced premium tyres, or I'd have been leaving with 8 instead of 4 :p

Man of Honour
What are the wear rate like on the F1 AS3? I drive like an old man anyway so I'm unlikely to get through any tyre quickly, but I prefer a longer wearing tyre than one that will let me hurl it in to corners at obscene speeds. That's not to say I don't want a premium tyre, I'm just not after the "sportier" tyres

Soldato
What are the wear rate like on the F1 AS3? I drive like an old man anyway so I'm unlikely to get through any tyre quickly, but I prefer a longer wearing tyre than one that will let me hurl it in to corners at obscene speeds. That's not to say I don't want a premium tyre, I'm just not after the "sportier" tyres

I don't think you'll find anything better worth bothering with for longevity if you'll be driving relaxed.

As far as I know the high-end Michelins outperform the AS3s when they're put under harsher use/cornering etc.

OcUK Staff
Removed near new Pirelli Pzero "PZ4" (7mm front & 6mm rear) less than six months old, so nothing to do with wear.
Fitted four new Michelin PS4S XL and the difference in the cold and wet is quite staggering, more outright grip and more progressive when pushing beyond grip.

Very impressive tyres!

Caporegime

Haha, same, I accelerate and brake gradually so went for the AS3. It’s “good enough”.

Had it for a month now, feels very welly planted.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Just had the confirmation today that I've had 4 new PS4S (N0) tyres fitted to the GTS, so its going to be interesting to see how different they are to the P-Zero's.

Permabanned
In my experience Contis perform well but wear really fast. Michelins perform equally well, or better, and last WAY longer.

I've heard similar stories... but our 320d has had 2.5 sets of CSC5s and done 70k miles with plenty of tread left of the current set...I think that is decent mileage for a set of tyres unless someone tells me a set of Michelins last 50k or something.

Back
Top Bottom