Wireless vacuum cleaner advice

Soldato
Hi folks

I have broken my Dyson vacuum cleaner so I'm looking to replace with a wireless.

So what's the consensus on the forum?

Is the Dyson V8 the best in class? What about the G-Tech air ram? Are Shark cheap and cheerful or good value for money?

I would welcome any input / advice.

Budget will be a few hundred I reckon as I want something decent.

Soldato
OP
If it is going to be your only vac get the v8 otherwise the v6 is sufficient.

Yes it will be our only vac.

We have carpet in all but the kitchen, toilet, utility and bathroom. Can the main carpet brush head on the V8 be turned off when on smooth floors like it can on mains powered models or do you have to change the head?

Soldato
Cant be turned off.

Personally i just leave the brush one on its not gonna damage tiles floors.

The v6 is fine for me in a 2 bed flat as a main hoover. If you were to use it in a house then you would probably need to charge it after the first floor

Soldato
Yes it will be our only vac.

We have carpet in all but the kitchen, toilet, utility and bathroom. Can the main carpet brush head on the V8 be turned off when on smooth floors like it can on mains powered models or do you have to change the head?
The standard brush head is multi surface we run ours on wood without issue. I wouldn't have a v6 as my only vac just because the Miele does a much better job!

Soldato
We just bought a V8 Absolute and it’s amazing. However we won’t be ditching the Hetty (pink version of the Henry).

If you have hard floors, you will need to fork out for the Absolute.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
We got the V8 on a whim with the intention of using it for the car mainly and weren't sure how much use it'd get indoors given we planned to keep our full size Dyson. As it turned out the V8 gets more use than the full-size vacuum and it changed how we go about cleaning. This is mainly due to it being wall-mounted in the kitchen where it's very quick and convenient to grab, use and put away again.

We use it for vacuuming hard floors, as a duster and for sucking up fallen crumbs, etc. The full size dyson is still used for carpeted floors as it's quite a bit more powerful than the V8 and also for heavy duty dusting e.g. bathroom extractor vents.

Unfortunately I've only ever bothered to use the V8 once for the car and on that occasion the battery died before I was finished. When the juice runs out, it runs out suddenly without any performance drop from the motor towards the end.

Overall we love it and will replace it with something similar if/when it dies.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
The v8 absolute is not going to outperform even the £40-60 wired vacs imo, but don't take that as a negative its suction power is more then enough to give a decent clean around the home and if you do want a more powerful clean just put it on the higher suction mode for few minutes and you will be fine.

What makes the v8 absolute the main general purpose pick is its light, easy and you can vac much faster around the home then you ever could with a bulky wired vac cleaner, I wont touch or use anything else.

There is a better cleaner then the V8 I think its called LG cord zero A9, but last time I checked it was like £800.

Oh and check on fleabay/hotuk deals for offers on dyson v8 especially in the dyson fleabay shop, you could probably grab one for £250-350, I got a refurbish v8 absolute model for £350 about a year ago, works and looks brand new.

Soldato
I've got the Gtech, its quite expensive in reality because you need to also buy the Gtech Multi if you are going to use it as your only cleaner. The upside is with separate units is that you get 2 batteries so can clean longer. I can do more than the whole house on one charge of the AirRam and then follow up round the edges with the Multi after. It doesnt get me round twice though but the Multi lasts for much longer then needed. The AirRam has a motorised brush bar and doesn't have a long tube to have to move air through as everything is contained in the base but it doesn't suck as hard as Dyson. Emptying it can be messy on the old version but they changed it since. It was about £330 for both (K9 Model) when I got it.

Associate
Shark is the Daddy for both wired and cordless as far as i'm concerned, I have a Shark liftaway and a Shark Duoclean at the moment and they beat any other vacuum I've ever had before, and my wife is a cleaning freak and always wans a new bloody hoover, but she loves the Sharks.

Soldato
I got a Dyson V7 Motorhead Pro for Christmas, I'm really impressed with it. It's very light, and on normal power it's very quiet and lasts for quite a while. The max mode is very powerful, although I haven't had much cause to use it much yet.

Soldato
Well i've made a mistake. We held off buying the V7 Total Clean just after Christmas when it was £299. Everywhere has now put it up to £480!

Am going to get the V8 Absolute instead for around £350 unless anyone knows of anywhere better?

Associate
Well i've made a mistake. We held off buying the V7 Total Clean just after Christmas when it was £299. Everywhere has now put it up to £480!

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a marketing ploy to get the increased prices in now ahead of sales around easter time so that they can say 50% off RRP. The same seems to be happening with LG OLED TV's.

Annoying if you're not able to wait until then though.

Back
Top Bottom