*** Nintendo Switch ***

Caporegime
This happens to me with Skyrim on all platforms, nd any other big games really. If I stop for anywhere longer than a week I almost never continue :(
Not sure if it is comparable. But after spending 160 hours on BOTW I didn't touch it again for a few months and then the 2nd DLC dropped. Downloaded it. I played it for a couple of hours over the past few weeks but its been tough to get back into it. I would like at the map and just see this enormous thing and not knowing what to do/where to go.

Forced myself to keep chipping away at it, bits and pieces here...now I find myself eager to pick it up and I continue to put more time into it. I am not rushing through the DLC. Just doing bits of it as I explore. :) - Did take a while to get back into it though.

Associate
Picked up Steamworld Dig 2, what a brilliant game that is and perfectly suited to the Switch. Finally got round to picking up BoTW as well as we've got next week off so I can plough some time into it. Absolutely loving my Switch, so much so my GTX1080 equipped PC hasn't had a look in for 2 months! Even considered selling it!

Soldato
I flit between Skyrim and ARMS. I've neglected Splatoon 2 and I don't know why. I think it's because I tried to get into motion controls, which really for me needs to be TV play and I don't play Switch much on the telly. I should go back for the Splatfest. Played ARMS a lot because of the new content and got into the better skill level, learning techniques and stuff which is very satisfying. Even getting some lobbies with the top UK players via Discord. That was a lot of fun.

I should be thoroughly ashamed of myself though - I've barely touched Odyssey and not even really attempted ANY of the DLC for Zelda aside from some costumes that my son basically found for me!

Soldato
Not sure if it is comparable. But after spending 160 hours on BOTW I didn't touch it again for a few months and then the 2nd DLC dropped. Downloaded it. I played it for a couple of hours over the past few weeks but its been tough to get back into it. I would like at the map and just see this enormous thing and not knowing what to do/where to go.

Forced myself to keep chipping away at it, bits and pieces here...now I find myself eager to pick it up and I continue to put more time into it. I am not rushing through the DLC. Just doing bits of it as I explore. :) - Did take a while to get back into it though.

It's comparable imo! Tends to be big open world games that I struggle to return to after an absence. Witcher 3 almost did that ti me too but j forced through

Soldato

It's comparable imo! Tends to be big open world games that I struggle to return to after an absence. Witcher 3 almost did that ti me too but j forced through

Soldato
i've got:

Mario Odyssey
BOTW
Mario Kart
Mario and Rabbids
Xenoblade 2

Since I've bought my switch, I have played NO other consoles. No PS4, no PSP (dropped sukoden 2), No vita, no 3DS, no wii U... no PC!

Anyway Odyssey = straight up amazing. Lacks challenge but makes up for it in charm, genius, creativity and beauty.
Mario Kart, played on and off with my sister. Basically an awesome pick up and play game, the fact I can now go ANYWHERE and just start playing mario kart is INSANE.

BOTW... I'm just at the sanctum and about to complete the main story. 65 shrines, 12 memories, only used a guide for 2 memories, 4 divine beasts, around 100 hours of searching around!.... Very satisfied. It just screams quality and class and easily my GOTY in hindsight.

I bought Xeno2 thanks to this thread for £30 and I have to critiques
1. Res drop in portable mode is horrible but i can live with it as I'm used to PS Vita/PSP/3DS
2. The english voice acting is horrible... REALLY tempted to switch it to JPN and subtitles.

Very Excited to play Mario and Rabbids too ... !

Soldato
I switched to Japanese voices and liked it more. Some of the actions while fighting are not subtitled but for the story it was tons better.

Mario + Rabbids is a great game you'll love it.

Soldato
Torn now which to start.. or whether to just grab the Zelda DLC and continue the adventure. I've found some of the shrine quests a bit hard in regards to riddles and see myself just googling what to do which kind of defeats the purpose lol.

I'll stick with Japanese. The "english" voice acting is just horrid. An American poster said the "british voices" gave it a different dimension.. the issue is.. these really aren't "British voices"... more just really really bad impressions. Maybe for someone from the US, it would be more tolerable.

Mario and Rabbids I believe ACG (youtube gaming channel) called it his GOTY ahead of BOTW & Odyssey). I played it for 5-10 minutes and was AMAZED by the production value.

I also have a Wii U and Bayonetta 2 but I am contemplating buying it on the Switch as I actually know I'll complete it. The Switch has really spoilt me from a gaming convienance perspective, its going to be hard to go back to desktop gaming and console gaming. I'll happily take a hit on resolution and framerate if it means I can play my games anywhere and actually complete them.
With skyrocketting desktop GPU prices, this does make me think a little bit about an ultra-portable gaming laptop making some sense.

If only one of the big boys could release a <13'' device for steam games. Honestly I'd take a 10 inch 1080p screen which can 30-60fps my titles on the go any day as the switch has proven.

Associate
Mario+Rabbids is really solid, finished World 2 this morning. I haven't enjoyed a strategy game this much since playing Transistor on PC ~3 years ago. On to World 3 next weekend!

I'll stick with Japanese. The "english" voice acting is just horrid. An American poster said the "british voices" gave it a different dimension.. the issue is.. these really aren't "British voices"... more just really really bad impressions. Maybe for someone from the US, it would be more tolerable.

They are British voices though, for the most part. The voices actors for main characters at least (Rex, Nia, Morag, Azurda etc) are all speaking in their native tongue/accent.

I honestly really liked the English VA, it felt a bit out of place at first I think because hearing those voices on Japanese/anime style characters is such an unfamiliar thing, but by chapter 2/3 though the English VA felt right at home for me. There are some odd moments on rare occasion sure (kinda like the actor didn't have much context for the scene), and Tora is still...meh, but overall quite consistent performances all round I felt.

The performances in the opening cut-scenes of Chapter 7 were especially well done, I felt the actors got more a more comfortable and familiar with the characters/storyas the game went on and it showed. It was kinda like when you're watching a new TV series and the characters get more and more believable/natural as it goes on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mario+Rabbids is really solid, finished World 2 this morning. I haven't enjoyed a strategy game this much since playing Transistor on PC ~3 years ago. On to World 3 next weekend!

They are British voices though, for the most part. The voices actors for main characters at least (Rex, Nia, Morag, Azurda etc) are all speaking in their native tongue/accent.

I honestly really liked the English VA, it felt a bit out of place at first I think because hearing those voices on Japanese/anime style characters is such an unfamiliar thing, but by chapter 2/3 though the English VA felt right at home for me. There are some odd moments on rare occasion sure (kinda like the actor didn't have much context for the scene), and Tora is still...meh, but overall quite consistent performances all round I felt.

The performances in the opening cut-scenes of Chapter 7 were especially well done, I felt the actors got more a more comfortable and familiar with the characters/storyas the game went on and it showed. It was kinda like when you're watching a new TV series and the characters get more and more believable/natural as it goes on.

Cant help but feel the "british" voices are incredibly stiff and fake. The acting within them seems so limited when say compared to the VA in BOTW.

I had a similar issue with the Last Story, albiet the quality of VA was considerably better than what I've heard in XC2 (which isn't a lot).

Soldato
Ultra Street Fighter II is £24.99 in the E-Shop until Feb 15th. I'm really tempted by this especialy as I plan on buying the Hori Hayabusa V Arcade Switch mainly to use on my Gaming Laptop but also when Super smash Bros is finaly realeased. Thing is I've already spent £50 on SF V and Witchers GOTY on steam and Forza Horizon 3 is half price for the next few days.

Soldato
So I finished the main story of Celeste and have some thoughts that might be useful to anyone considering it :)

The controls are superb, if you fail then you cannot blame the game although I did find the Pro Controller d-pad absolutely awful. I'd only used it for "sub-actions" in other games but as a proper pad it's unusable.

The look is charming and the theme is well integrated, there was one section with a bit too much text that rather broke the flow but that's nit-picking.

The levels are nicely varied in terms of styling and there are some good twists on regular platforming early on. Later in the game I think variety gave way to challenging which leads on to...

It gets very very hard BUT there is a very well implemented assist mode, you can slow the game down in increments, make yourself invincible and tweak the actions. The downside to that is the sense of achievement does drop so hold out for as long as you can. I used it 3 times as there were some sections where I wasn't even getting though 1/3 of the level reliably after 100+ deaths and would have had to give up otherwise.

I've not finished the extra levels yet and can't see myself being able to without using assist mode as they are just beyond my 37 year old brain and dexterity (and patience if I'm honest!).

Definitely worth picking up if you have even a passing interest in old school platforming or have been put off by the difficulty of the likes of Super Meat Boy.

Soldato
I absolutely hated the XC2 voices for the first hour or so. Then they grow on you. It's worth keeping it to English just for Nia.

Seconded, some of the banter is actually quite good later on as well. Stick with it a little longer would be my advice.

I finished the main game with 140 hours racked up, slightly lost motivation to 100% it at the moment. Might leave it for a few weeks so it feels a bit fresher :)

Back
Top Bottom