G_A

G_A

Associate
Hi everyone,

I want to get a new professional pc workstation (desktop) since my laptop is quite old (2014). I am using Autocad and 3DS MAX with vray for architectural moideling, rendering and animation and gaming.

Do you have any build up to recommend? For example should I be looking for a better graphics card? or the ram?

I was looking at the overclocked pc workstations (see below) but I am not sure which is the best for my needs; even though that I can upgrade them even more...

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tita...-core-i5-7600k-4.8ghz-kabylake-fs-125-og.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...-pc-intel-core-i7-8700k-4.9ghz-fs-1bw-og.html

As for my budget is around £2500-£3000.. thanking you in advance... G

G_A

G_A

Associate
OP
It is mostly for professional work.

Yeap I will need a monitor and a keyboard.

As for the windows license I don't need it.

G_A

G_A

Associate
OP
I am currently using a geforce card on my laptop :( not sure which one
the rendering time depends on the materials and lighting i use and the quality of the render.. for an average render it may take 1 hr. but it depends.

Soldato
Soldato
thanks bongo hunter!!! I will have a look at it! :)

Above it solid, though think you might find changing the NVMe drive for large HDD storage for all the renderings and work files helpful
Would personally stick a beefier cooler to allow some OC and less noise and then change ram to Teamgroup , cheaper and much favoured on here !

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £502.82 (includes shipping: £9.90)

If your after silence and space for from then 2 HDD then puree 600 but does cost.. if not above case is solid !

Total: £106.09 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Last edited:
Soldato
thanks a lot guys..! really appreciate it!:)

If your not doing a lot of CPU rendering , should be able to get away with Ryzen 1700 8 core - will cover yourself with UV mapping with Photoshop open with everything else going

Normally quote B350 Gaming 3 at £86 for gamers but you'll prob be putting more load across the core the .games so board has increased VRM count

Total: £717.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

But damn that thread ripper would be impressive !

Get your task manager open when your doing your work loads and renders and see how much of the CPU is being hit , could Ripper is justified

Man of Honour
That threadripper build is a great start. I really can't recommend them enough, I have the 1950x and it really is an animal of a cpu if your after a workstation.

Soldato
I am currently working with AMD on a Threadripper Workstation Project. Just ironing out a few bits before its finalised. They are very well placed for price/performance but a lot of rendering programs are now using GPU Compute for rendering. That said, comparing a new TR system to an old laptop will be like night and day. :)

Soldato
Pure NVME System with 40G networking and ECC support please - Nothing would demonstrate how poor the current Xeons can be for pro workstations quite like that.

And it would still run Crysis :)

Already have 4 x 1tb 960 Pro in RAID0 getting almost 12gb per second. ECC Is a pain at the moment as most manufacturers say it does work but then cannot supply me with the qualified memory list. And then they tell you that they have not tried it fully populated.. lol.

To be honest the top Intel Core-X is currently the daddy for all round rendering, graphical and cpu performance but it does have its problems. AMD is close, is great VFM and is a valid alternative for intel products but people are reluctant to put their faith in a cpu that isn't Intel for Workstation Use. Hopefully we will be able to remedy that.

Back
Top Bottom