OCUK founder Spie passes away

Caporegime
Whilst I'm sure there won't be a mass forum meet at the occasion, I'm sure the forum would appreciate funeral details and maybe somebody could organise something there on behalf of the forum community that he was "Godfather" of?

Just a thought.....

Man of Honour
So sorry to hear this. Mark and I didn't always get on while I was a member of the mod team, but I had nothing but respect for him for what he built, both professionally and in the community here. My deepest condolences to the entire family :(

Man of Honour
Mark and I had an interesting relationship. We didn't always see eye to eye - he once even booted me from the team for refusing to agree with him - but it's him I have to thank for picking me to be a mod here, and if it wasn't for his efforts this place wouldn't be what it is.

RIP Spie, your legacy lives on in your family, in the company, and here on the forums.

Associate
Awful news, my sympathies for you and my thanks to your dad for providing such an amazing forum where I've learnt more about computers than any other place with all the shared views and opinions.

Soldato
Sad news, I remember Mark from the very early days when it was him and MadRad (pre July '99 as I was importing Celeron 300a's from the US), MadRad literally killed the first GForce OCUK got in while I was ordering hardware (the web site was very much in it's infancy - 120cm(!) fans etc.). Quite simply Mark changed the way retail hardware was purchased in the UK, to move from a predominantly print based advertising model with established historic players, to an online store catering for a niche market that sparked a community.

RIP Mark and thank you.

Man of Honour
Sad news, I remember Mark from the very early days when it was him and MadRad (pre July '99 as I was importing Celeron 300a's from the US),

I can remember walking in and Pete was testing those Celeron 300a's to see how fast they could go and then they were sold in 4 flavours I think.
Standard 300, then something like 345, 395 & 412 - I had one that went at 345 because I couldn't afford the extra (can't remember the exact speeds).
And correct me because I'm probably wrong but wasn't that around the time Mark started advertising on the web because they were the first main chips that could be overclocked?

Soldato
Been here since 1998 (I think). Very sad to hear that the person responsible for that is gone. This place taught me the basics and gave me the foundations for my current career.

Had quite a few difference of opinions with some over the years, but can't fault the community he helped found. Big big loss.

RIP.

Back
Top Bottom