65 inch TV recommended

Permabanned
So your 4K TV is perfect at displaying 4K, well done in your purchase.

HDR is not about having the brightest picture. It's goal is to mimic a real life scene through richer colours, contrast and brightness.

Thanks.

My point is that with my 4K TV, I CAN simulate the performance of a 4K screen with HDR enabled. My settings menu is so rich.

Soldato
I have a 4K TV without HDR support and it's perfect. HDR is just a marketing gimmick for the clueless.

How can you simulate the performance of HDR when HDR is about the meta data held with the image, if you TV is unable to decode HDR and therefore read the meta data its not going to be able to display the equivalent of an HDR signal?

Having watched the same material with and without HDR and on both OLED and the XE9005 you can clearly see a difference in how the images are displayed, so for something thats a "Marketing Gimmick for the Clueless" HDR is doing a surprising amount...

Soldato
Ignore him, he's either trolling or utterly clueless. Either way, don't feed.

The Sony 65XE93 is the bargain of the century if you can find one, nothing comes close for the price.

Yep he's trolling in the ryzen thread too, anyway OT I agree the XE93 in either 55 or 65 is a fantastic buy at the moment as said if you can get hold of one.

Soldato
for value for money, glancing at the Panasonic outlet you can pick up a 58EX750B for £750 , it's a 10bit after all , Panasonic reliabilty / processing.
(i realise it is not 65")

Although the Sony has a good picture Sony have not for me, freed themselves from poor reliability issues, discussed in threads here last year, also acknowldegded when their CEO was changed, I expect a tv to last more than 5/6 years, without hassle of breakdowns - I've been a happy panasonic client and would take the £750 value proposition ..
but yes - subjective.
(the samsung ks7000 issues with poor build will take me a while to erase from thoughts too)

Soldato
is the Panasonic outlet store full of returns ?
no visible signs of previous use on the faultless ET range one I had 3 years ago - never investigated service menu to see any service on hours
I think another OC'er complimented a dx[89]02 from them too.

Permabanned
Um.. as I said good for you, if your happy and enjoy simulating a HDR image than carry on.

I'll just stick with my B7 OLED

:)

To be honest, I am not a fan of HDR - too much colours feels unnatural to me. I am fan of the classic, non-HDR images ;)
Just saying that HDR is a software feature, there are no differences between the panels for HDR TVs and non-HDR TVs. Except for the higher brightness level, but this can be very damaging for the people's eyes.

Soldato
You know how you see something in a particular way and then everytime you see it a different way it disappoints?
That's how I feel about HDR. I played some games and watched some content with HDR enabled and it does blow you away. Personally I feel HDR makes a bigger different than 4k.
So very pleased I decided to invest in a TV that has good HDR implementation.

Associate
I have the XE9005 in a 55 inch, fantastic picture and far superior to the Sony it replaced under warranty.

Only gripe I have with it is the interface is often slow to react. From what I've read the 9305 comes with a beefier processor so should overcome this and is compatible with Dolby Vision but its edge lit which was something I preferred to avoid. On balance I'd say the 9005 is probably better overall even considering the slow interface

Permabanned
You know how you see something in a particular way and then everytime you see it a different way it disappoints?
That's how I feel about HDR. I played some games and watched some content with HDR enabled and it does blow you away. Personally I feel HDR makes a bigger different than 4k.
So very pleased I decided to invest in a TV that has good HDR implementation.

Does HDR contribute so the images and content look more true-life?
I have YouTube 4K content without any HDR and it is already true-life to the maximum. I can't see how HDR will make it even better. :confused:

Soldato
some games hdr implementation are better than others see earlier hdr thread

There are a number of articles eg games-look-bad-part-1-hdr-and-tone-mapping
on how hdr game animation have yet to catch up with the cinema experience games they call out
Battlefield 1, Uncharted: Lost Legacy, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, and Horizon Zero Dawn
(as Pottsey said)

but the hdr game experience (vs sdr) will be much more diverse across tv brands due to the tvs tone-mapping technique, since for sdr everyone has brightness/contrast/colour-spaces that are closer/exceeding specs

Soldato
Does HDR contribute so the images and content look more true-life?
I have YouTube 4K content without any HDR and it is already true-life to the maximum. I can't see how HDR will make it even better. :confused:

My old Sony had an update which implemented HDR but tbh all it seemed to do was turn the edge lit LEDs on full blast and therefore the blacks turned grey in dark scenes daylight scenes looked ok but the set only output about 350-400nits.
Howeverer HDR on the oled is night and day better, the best example away from demos that I have seen so far is sneaky Pete on Amazon. HDR gives a richness to the picture that the Sony could never achieve its like every image is a photograph.
You mentioned retina burning whites and this is true however walk down a street at night when a car is approaching you in the opposite direction the headlights dazzle, HDR gives this effect which I much prefer.
I also have sky q and the 4k package but after experiencing what HDR can bring to the table the content looks flat, the detail is there but the image on screen is lacklustre.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the XE9005 in a 55 inch, fantastic picture and far superior to the Sony it replaced under warranty.

Only gripe I have with it is the interface is often slow to react. From what I've read the 9305 comes with a beefier processor so should overcome this and is compatible with Dolby Vision but its edge lit which was something I preferred to avoid. On balance I'd say the 9005 is probably better overall even considering the slow interface

You wouldn't know you were using an edge lit LCD unless somebody told you the model and confirmed the technology being used. "Oh it's edge lit - that will be ****". No, the 9305 has a better processor, DV support and is a premium TV over the 9005 and in my opinion, side-by-side noticeably that little bit better.

Back
Top Bottom