• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
@AMDMatt DayZ is going Beta within weeks.. is there going to be an optimised driver on time for the optimisations they are bringing on Beta release?

I really hope my stuttering is fixed by Beta else i'm just gona quit PC gaming, the 'one' game i enjoy the most is the 'only' game i have issues with.. and i hope this DayZ doesnt turn out to be an Nvidia favoured game.

I'll be looking for 'DayZ Optimisations' in the release notes around the Beta release in new drivers.

I've had these stuttering issues since December 2016 (DayZ 0.61 release) and its about time i had a smooth gameplay experience from this game. I really hope AMD are doing everything they can to supply a good DayZ driver to their users that keep buying their GPU's. I dont wana go with the green team, i'd rather switch over to console than do that.

Soldato
Just installed the 18.3.4 drivers and noticed that the default voltage states in the custom Wattman profile are now 1250mV for both states 6 & 7. Previously they were 1150 and 1250 and I'm sure going even further back, the default settings for these in the custom profile were 1150 and 1200. Anyone else notice this? Seems an odd move given that if you leave both these states at 1250 it reduces the maximum my card boosts to by over 400Mhz...

Caporegime
Just been looking at my AMD control panel and I see that AMD freesync is showing for game profiles? :confused:

3XQUVNX.jpg

Does this mean one of my displays has freesync working? It can't be my 29um65 but maybe my LG 55e7 OLED?

I have been playing a lot of games on my oled at 120hz and did think games were stupidly smooth with no tearing but put that down to the 120HZ but maybe freesync works with it????

EDIT:

Just checked the display tab and it says freesync not supported... Surely that amd freesync tab shouldn't be showing in the game profiles then????

:confused:

Caporegime
OP
A while back we added the option to toggle FreeSync on or off on a per application profile basis. There is a toggle under Radeon Settings > Display, this acts as the global FreeSync toggle. This is automatically enabled after driver install if you have a FreeSync display and will ensure that FreeSync is enabled for all titles that have passed the internal FreeSync test. There are a very small handful of titles which don't work nicely with FreeSync due to game rendering choices, which may show up as flickering etc. FreeSync is disabled in these titles in the driver, but you can now choose to enable FreeSync in any title where it is disabled, via an application profile. Alternatively, you can also disable it for a specific game if you wish, whilst keeping it enabled globally.

I'm not familiar with either of your displays, but if one of them supports FreeSync then that would explain the option appearing. It will only apply to the FreeSync capable display.

EDIT

Just seen your edit, I've no idea then most likely a bug. If the display doesn't support FreeSync the toggle won't do anything. :/

Last edited:
Caporegime
A while back we added the option to toggle FreeSync on or off on a per application profile basis. There is a toggle under Radeon Settings > Display, this acts as the global FreeSync toggle. This is automatically enabled after driver install if you have a FreeSync display and will ensure that FreeSync is enabled for all titles that have passed the internal FreeSync test. There are a very small handful of titles which don't work nicely with FreeSync due to game rendering choices, which may show up as flickering etc. FreeSync is disabled in these titles in the driver, but you can now choose to enable FreeSync in any titles where it is disabled via an application profile. Alternatively, you can also disable it for a specific game if you wish, whilst keeping it enabled globally.

I'm not familiar with either of your displays, but if one of them supports FreeSync then that would explain the option appearing. It will only apply to the FreeSync capable display.

Ah that might be it then, never noticed it before until now.

But yeah, afaiw, neither of my displays support freesync, certainly not the LG 29um65 anyway.

Here is the display tab part:

FedvjqK.jpg

As said, not sure if freesync is working or not as games (especially ones that are running at >60 fps) feel stupidly smooth and like a previous g/free sync screen I saw a while back but I just put this down to OLED's pixel response time and 120HZ mode......

Soldato
Ah that might be it then, never noticed it before until now.

But yeah, afaiw, neither of my displays support freesync, certainly not the LG 29um65 anyway.

Here is the display tab part:

FedvjqK.jpg

As said, not sure if freesync is working or not as games (especially ones that are running at >60 fps) feel stupidly smooth and like a previous g/free sync screen I saw a while back but I just put this down to OLED's pixel response time and 120HZ mode......

Whoooooooooooooooooo

Associate
A while back we added the option to toggle FreeSync on or off on a per application profile basis. There is a toggle under Radeon Settings > Display, this acts as the global FreeSync toggle. This is automatically enabled after driver install if you have a FreeSync display and will ensure that FreeSync is enabled for all titles that have passed the internal FreeSync test. There are a very small handful of titles which don't work nicely with FreeSync due to game rendering choices, which may show up as flickering etc. FreeSync is disabled in these titles in the driver, but you can now choose to enable FreeSync in any title where it is disabled, via an application profile. Alternatively, you can also disable it for a specific game if you wish, whilst keeping it enabled globally.

EDIT

Just seen your edit, I've no idea then most likely a bug. If the display doesn't support FreeSync the toggle won't do anything. :/

EDIT

I have a Dell U2515h & I also get the Freesync toggle in the game profile tabs. I wish it did have Freesync but alas its free of it:p It's been there for the last few driver revisions.

Soldato
@AMDMatt DayZ is going Beta within weeks.. is there going to be an optimised driver on time for the optimisations they are bringing on Beta release?

I really hope my stuttering is fixed by Beta else i'm just gona quit PC gaming, the 'one' game i enjoy the most is the 'only' game i have issues with.. and i hope this DayZ doesnt turn out to be an Nvidia favoured game.

I'll be looking for 'DayZ Optimisations' in the release notes around the Beta release in new drivers.

I've had these stuttering issues since December 2016 (DayZ 0.61 release) and its about time i had a smooth gameplay experience from this game. I really hope AMD are doing everything they can to supply a good DayZ driver to their users that keep buying their GPU's. I dont wana go with the green team, i'd rather switch over to console than do that.

No response? I hope AMD themselves dont see this as a 'dead game' along with all the other haters around the net. Just wana know if AMD are actually actively working with Bohemia with the driver side of things.

Beta is possibly a week or two away.

Caporegime
OP
No response? I hope AMD themselves dont see this as a 'dead game' along with all the other haters around the net. Just wana know if AMD are actually actively working with Bohemia with the driver side of things.

Beta is possibly a week or two away.

I don't know, sorry. Even if i did i couldn't tell you about unreleased driver features/optimisations.

Soldato
I don't know, sorry. Even if i did i couldn't tell you about unreleased driver features/optimisations.

So you cant tell me a driver with DayZ optimisations is coming, if you knew one was in the works?

DayZ Beta is weeks away and you told me over a year ago AMD were working with Bohemia Interactive.

On April 5th-8th 2018, DayZ Devs are at Pax East demo'ing the Xbox console versions and PC Build, obviously working closely with Microsoft for the Xbox version, yet nothing on AMD drivers for PC?

You know, i have noticed all the DayZ demo's in the past few years have been running Nvidia GPU's.

I feel sorry for AMD when DayZ goes Beta and then hits full release, all the new players are gona find out it runs better on Nvidia than it does AMD, and buy Nvidia cards.

DayZ Standalone, YET another reason to switch to the green team.. Good job AMD :(

iq2xW1Z.png

Soldato
I have not thought about this FRTC vs Chill for limiting the max frame rate. Question was asked on Reddit Difference between Radeon Chill's max fps and FRTC?
Someone replied saying this! if you Have Freesync use Chill, if you have fixed refrsh rate use FRTC

The best explanation I found was in the comments section here by a developer of Chill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVNRNOcLUuA&lc=UgilxVYZvV7iEngCoAEC.8S84sIfhchO8SD7V2NvCvc

"Yes, you are asking all the right questions :)

1) Yes, I was talking about the case where MinFPS == MaxFPS

2) Chill (as a framerate limiter) and FRTC achieve slightly different goals:

a) FRTC (and similar technologies) makes sure that the frames ARE DISPLAYED at regular pace, but this increases the input lag somewhat.

b) Chill (as a framerate limiter) makes sure that the frames are SUBMITTED TO THE GPU at a regular pace. This does not ensure a steady output framerate (there will be some fluctuation), but this does insure a minimal lag. So this is perfect for variable-framerate displays (FreeSync)

3) Yes, it lowers input lag. In general, in a regular gameplay you have 2 situations:

a) The game is CPU-limited (CPU-bound) - in this case the input lag is minimal

b) The game is GPU-bound - in this case the input lag is maximal (depending on the game).

So, basically, if your system can render at 150fps, and you limit it to 140fps - you ensure that it is effectively CPU-bound (if using Chill) and effectively GPU-bound (if using FRTC and similar technologies).

4) You would basically prefer to use FRTC if you have a fixed-framerate monitor, and you want to submit frames at the refresh rate, but in this case it becomes the same as VSync.......

5) Or, alternatively, you can use Chill as it was intended - with variable framerate - and that works great, especially with a FreeSync display ;) "

Associate
Is Chill a new feature? I've only been using FRTC but maybe that's because I had a 60hz display and never saw Chill. I now have a 75Hz freesync monitor

Soldato
Is Chill a new feature? I've only been using FRTC but maybe that's because I had a 60hz display and never saw Chill. I now have a 75Hz freesync monitor

You can enable chill in Global settings inside Crimson driver. Once you enable there you can either enable it on per game or have it set global. You can also enable it with Alt-R to bring up the overlay.

Associate
Ah thanks. I can set a minimum and maximum range for specific game profiles but can't see these settings for global, it's just on or off?!

Back
Top Bottom