Hive dual channel on a combi boiler

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Hi.

I have a Hive Dual channel receiver that I'd like to install on SIME Friendly Format 100E combi boiler.

Boiler manual;

http://library.plumbase.co.uk/flipbooks/RE/simefrif100e_22917_t/simefrif100e_22917_t.html

Wiring diagrams;

https://imgur.com/a/WjWzr

QJvGTw2l.jpg

Ub7aV2tl.png.jpg

FsB2ljdl.jpg

The manual says that if a room thermostat is to be used I need to remove the bridge from terminals 22 & 23 (connector TA). It says it should class II EN 60730.1 (clean contact).

My intention is to use this connection, and just leave the inbuilt timer set to 'ON'.

I've interpreted the wiring diagram to mean that 22 is common and 23 is what needs a connection to request heat.

Switching 230v for the thermostat seems wrong to me, but that's what is usual on heating systems isn't it?

So my plan is to remove the 22 & 23 bridge from TA, leave 22 unconnected and then connect terminal 4 from the Hive to terminal 23. This way, when the Hive requests heat it will connect live to pin 23 on the boiler.

Does that seem correct?

Associate
Your plan will work fine - all depends on if the boiler has 230v output on 22 to room stat -

The single channel hive has common terminal at 1 to account for possible ELV used so it just uses what the boiler gives i.e. 22 > 23
The dual doesn't have this option and uses mains 230v from the L terminal to send to 4 so boiler must be able to take 230v on the stat terminal 23 etc

So just need to know if it can take 230v

Do you have a multimeter to measure 22 to earth? to see what its outputting, couldn't see in the manual, didnt seem to state what is used

Ps. would have thought it is 230v othewise manual would normally have a warning about 230v causing damage and about which stats are compatible etc

Best to double check or could blow the PCB

Pps. It does say on page 12 240v stats - so should be ok

Last edited:

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the confirmation :)

It is an old boiler, and it seems that lower voltage switching is only on newer boilers.

I will double check 22 to confirm that it is providing 230V (would testing to earth not trip the RCD?).

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
I removed the link and checked 22 against the handy N that was close by, no voltage there. But 23 was showing mains voltage, so this should be fine to connect terminal 4 on the Hive to 22 on the boiler.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
Just in case anyone finds this whilst searching (I didn't find much), it is all working fine.

Removed link, connected terminal 4 on the Hive to 22 on the boiler.

why did you buy a hive dual channel for a combi

Prime Day, and there was no stock showing of the single channel.

Associate
Hi

I have a hive dual channel receiver, a drayton thermostat, and a valiant ecotec pro 30 combi...

the thermostat only has a single wire controlling the heating, so how does the hive heating on/off connections wire up, if at all...

Thank you

Demon

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
You need to check the wiring diagrams for the boiler / thermostat. Does it switch using mains voltage? A quick Google suggests it does. If this is correct then you can use the dual channel. Is the thermostat mains powered? In short, power the receiver off that and connect terminal 4 of the Hive to the line that currently goes to the boiler.

Associate
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I accidentally bought a dual channel hive reciever and want to connect this to me Baxi duo tec 24 Combi.

This is the current connections with the salus thermostat that is being used.

http://www.salus-tech.com/cache/fil...brary/2015/11/Salus-RT500RF-Manual-006-cr.pdf

Boiler manual

http://trade.baxi.co.uk/documents/Baxi_Duo-tec_Combi_ErP_Installation_and_Servicing_Manual.pdf

Looking through your thread, my interpretation is that you did not connect the COM wire into the hive. Is that right? Im not sure if this would need to be the same step I would need to take as the dual channel doesn’t have a connection for COM. Cheers

Last edited:

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
Connecting 4 (Heating on) to bk1 on the boiler *should* work, but it does say in the manual

NOTE: The 230V switched signal for external controls (Frost Stat - Room Stat - Timer) must always be taken from terminal 2 at the boiler. Live, Neutral and Earth to power these controls must be taken from the Fused Spur.

This sounds like it's just saying that you should not try and power the external controls from the bk2 - fine. Not sure why it says the 230v signal must be taken from bk1 (implies it can't be an external source ie the Hive receiver)

Associate
Thanks for the reply and looking through the manuals.

What would I do with the COM connection? On the current stat reciever, it has NO, COM, L and N connections.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
I would assume COM is connected to bk2 on the boiler and just provides 230v to switch back into bk1 to call for heat. As the 230v signal will come from the Hive then you don't need the COM connection. As I say though, I can't see any reason why you have to use the signal from the boiler other than to ensure that when you isolate the boiler there is no chance of any of it being live (ie with 230v from Hive).

I am not an electrician or work with any kind of boiler installation things.

Associate
So I’ve opened up the terminals in the boiler.

I think your right that bk1 need to connect to terminal 4. The cable connecting com on the receiver unit is connected to bk2. So am I safe in thinking I can disconnect the cable from bk 2 and then not connect that into the hive. Just leaving bk 1 and terminal 4 connected?

Or do I need to connect the com wire else wgere to complete the circuit?

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the reply and looking through the manuals.

What would I do with the COM connection? On the current stat reciever, it has NO, COM, L and N connections.
COM is common, that's just another live terminal. A time clock will need a permanent live and neutral to operate it's clock. The rest of it is simply a switch. So common is the live side and NO (normally open) is the load side.

Normally open means just that, like a gate, it is left open so electricity does not flow through it. When the time clock operates it closes the circuit and electricity flows through it.

The NO connection is always the one that switches back to the boiler firing it up.

If you have, for example, a 3 core cable going to the programmer then you will be using brown for LIVE, grey for NEUTRAL and black for N.O. (Heating On). You are missing a cable to connect to Common so all you need to do is link it across from the permanent live connection. Job done

Associate
“If you have, for example, a 3 core cable going to the programmer then you will be using brown for LIVE, grey for NEUTRAL and black for N.O. (Heating On). You are missing a cable to connect to Common so all you need to do is link it across from the permanent live connection. Job done”

I have a 4 core cable. Live and neutral are easy enough to wire in. I have figured out which cable goes into terminal 4 for the hive (heating on/NO connection. Where I am stuck is the COM wire. Do I unwire it on both ends, or do I connect it somewhere else on the boiler or the hive?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Associate
In addition, power to the thermastate via live and neutral from the boilers live and neutral (can you tell I’m a complete novice at this yet). Just want to make sense of the last two wires. Wishing I payed more attention and bought the single channel, but am determined to make this work!

Associate
Hi sorry I've hijacked this thread as I've got the same problem. I'm trying to wire a dual channel hive receiver (don't ask) to a heatline vizo 24 (clock has gone so can't program heating to come on and off).

I've tried wiring it as single between 1&2 (did something - don't know what) and 1&3 did nothing which it wouldn't having now looked at the different wiring positions
Ub7aV2t
(dum dum)

So now looking at the heatline 24 or 24 plus manual(there is variance but the theory is the same ) I should be able to wire direct to the pcb
heatline 24
Vizo-24-and-28-manual.pdf
page 15 (9.5) states a mains thermo can be used and shows the connections on page 16 fig 9
heatline 24 plus
Vizo-Plus-24-manual.pdf
states the same except its pages 19 (9.5) & 20. (fig 8)
So my first question is do I just link no4 on the receiver to the mains thermo connections (ie the side that has no voltage so that when activated it calls for heating and second do i need to bridge from the L in the receiver to no4 to provide the mains voltage? (thinking about it that seems obvious but would rather check as providing a live there surely would just mean the call is there all the time?:confused:) Confusing myself more now!

(or could i get away with the low v terminals using 2&4? and no 230v because it definitely triggered something between 1&2 hmm just thought of that - may try that but would like answers to first questions as a back up in case the last idea doesn't work....

Back
Top Bottom