Need help with custom loop. Just the tubing confuses me

Soldato
Hi there,

I have a vega and will be buying the ek full water block for it, with a pump/res combo and a aplhacool 240mm radiator.

I really need help as the tubing is confusing and also which is better of these 2 pump/res combos?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xspc-ion-all-in-one-pump-reservoir-white-wc-404-xs.html

or
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-xres-100-ddc-mx-3.1-pwm-incl.-pump-wc-9fk-ek.html

As for the tubing, would someone be so kind as to tell me what to buy, i want soft tubing, clear with aim of having mayhem silver running through it, so i will need 6 fittings for the g1/4 holes in the rad block and pump. 2 of these need to be 90 degree ones for the gpu block and compression fittings to go with them.

If someone could show me the way I would be sincerly grateful.

Thank you

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £187.43 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Soldato
OP

Man of Honour
I wouldn't touch the XSPC Ion as it seems to have a high failure rate going by what I have read on here and other places over the past few days so the XRES would be the better choice of the two. What's the male to male fitting for? You can't go wrong with Mayhems excellent tubing. It's cheap and it's good stuff. I won't use anything else now. The 16/10mm fittings are the correct size for the tubing.

Soldato
Are you planning on using Aurora long term? Does it still have issues with settling and abrasion?

My advice would be to plan a draining method as well, like an extra tube from the res or a T-connection near the bottom of the loop.

Soldato
I wouldn't touch the XSPC Ion as it seems to have a high failure rate going by what I have read on here and other places over the past few days so the XRES would be the better choice of the two. What's the male to male fitting for? You can't go wrong with Mayhems excellent tubing. It's cheap and it's good stuff. I won't use anything else now. The 16/10mm fittings are the correct size for the tubing.
Yep my Ion was great for a while longer than its warranty. Cheap and cheerful solution though.
Andi.

Soldato
OP
The male fitting is to go into the 2 90 degrees fittings (both have 1/4 on each side so i need 2 male 2 male to connect that to the gpu block right?)

Soldato
OP
Are you planning on using Aurora long term? Does it still have issues with settling and abrasion?

My advice would be to plan a draining method as well, like an extra tube from the res or a T-connection near the bottom of the loop.
You don't want to use the Aurora fluid for normal long term use, it's basically a 'show' fluid, have a look at the other Mayhem's fluids for proper use :)
Also, have you checked that your Vega GPU is a reference design so that the GPU water block will fit?

Ok so I don't want to use that fluid (even though it says it lasts longer now ) , are any of the coloured fluids good for a long term ? Which ones? or if not, just plain distilled water?

Vega will be a refence design one yes.

So I should go for the https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-xres-100-ddc-mx-3.1-pwm-incl.-pump-wc-9fk-ek.html not the xspc all in one, definately ??

Man of Honour
The male fitting is to go into the 2 90 degrees fittings (both have 1/4 on each side so i need 2 male 2 male to connect that to the gpu block right?)

No. You don't need the male to male adaptors as the fittings, even the 90 degree ones, have a G1/4" male thread on them and you screw a 10/16mm compression fitting onto the other end. Do you even need the 90 degree fittings because the inlet/outlet on the gpu block is already at 90 degrees to the block itself? Are you cooling the cpu as well? If not then you only need 4x 10/16mm fittings (2 for the gpu block and 2 for the pump/res). Mayhems X1 coolant is very good. I have been using it (blood red) for 18 months now and have not had any problems. I would take the EK pump/res combo over the XSPC anyday. A D5 pump/res combo would be even better but that's more expensive.

Soldato
OP
No. You don't need the male to male adaptors as the fittings, even the 90 degree ones, have a G1/4" male thread on them and you screw a 10/16mm compression fitting onto the other end. Do you even need the 90 degree fittings because the inlet/outlet on the gpu block is already at 90 degrees to the block itself? Are you cooling the cpu as well? If not then you only need 4x 10/16mm fittings (2 for the gpu block and 2 for the pump/res). Mayhems X1 coolant is very good. I have been using it (blood red) for 18 months now and have not had any problems. I would take the EK pump/res combo over the XSPC anyday. A D5 pump/res combo would be even better but that's more expensive.
I think you are right about the 90 fitting, however the vega cooling block has the inlets on the underneath of the card not the side that faces you, so the tubes would have to go down then up to the rad/res/pump.

The only problem that arrose is that the radiator i will use is an alphacool 240 rad (full copper) left over from the eiswolf AIO i had on my last vega , this is from the alphacool website to do with mayhems coolant:

Attention: The manufacturer Mayhems advises that Mayhems fluids, especially the Aurora line of products, have been manufactured and distributed solely for show and modding purposes. These should not be utilized in the system for more than 14 days.
We would also like to advise that Mayhems fluids can damage water cooling products, and using Mayhems fluids can thereby void the warranties offered by the following manufacturers: Koolance, Phobya, Alphacool, Aqua Computer, Watercool.
Damages such as: clogging, corrosion of aluminium radiators, deterioration of glued containers, etc., are a consequence of the use of Mayhems, but will not be reimbursed by Mayhems. Use is therefore at one’s own risk.

Man of Honour
The gpu block, like all full cover blocks, have inlets/outlets on the top and bottom. Go to the OCUK product page for it , click on the pictures and you will see. The block comes with a pair of G1/4" blanks so that you can blank off the ports you are not using.

I wouldn't use Aurora. Just use whatever colour Mayhems X1 that you prefer. It still looks great and is trouble free. That so called "disclaimer" popped up on these forums last week and the only thing accurate about it is the bit about Aurora being for show and modding purposes (the pastel range can have issues with certain components as well). The rest seems to be a blatant attempt at destroying Mayhems reputation. Mayhems have excellent customer support and do not abandon users of their products.

Soldato
OP
The gpu block, like all full cover blocks, have inlets/outlets on the top and bottom. Go to the OCUK product page for it , click on the pictures and you will see. The block comes with a pair of G1/4" blanks so that you can blank off the ports you are not using.

I wouldn't use Aurora. Just use whatever colour Mayhems X1 that you prefer. It still looks great and is trouble free. That so called "disclaimer" popped up on these forums last week and the only thing accurate about it is the bit about Aurora being for show and modding purposes (the pastel range can have issues with certain components as well). The rest seems to be a blatant attempt at destroying Mayhems reputation. Mayhems have excellent customer support and do not abandon users of their products.
Thank you for that, i've never used a gpu block before didn't know it was on both sides.
I went for the pastel white mayhems coolant, will that be ok ?

Kei

Kei

Soldato
In on the top left, out of the bottom right. Blanks block the other two ports. You can choose any combination of one left and one right port. Having both ports on one side would essentially bypass the block as the coolant would pass straight through the fittings.

Cpu blocks are a difference matter as they usually have the ports labelled as in and out as they require fluid to go through a specific path.

Soldato
OP
I need 6 fittings... no ?
1 for each end of the res to block , 1 for each end of the block to rad , 1 for each end of the rad to res.

Back
Top Bottom