*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Associate
I have the 1gb service with them however when you connect your computer PC or Mac directly to the HyperOptics ethernet port speeds are at 1gb up and download. However, when you connect a router the speed drops both ways. So I replaced the router with the Netgear Orbi Mesh router which is wonderful I get wireless throughout the whole house. The wireless connections depend on devices get's to 400mb which is fine... but when connected by ethernet upload speeds get up to 900mb but the download is 500mb. Regards what router I have tried the results are the same. HyperOptics are sending a replacement router their new model... but any ideas or tips anyone... to should I change my Orbi to router into AP mode?

Associate
I have the 1gb service with them however when you connect your computer PC or Mac directly to the HyperOptics ethernet port speeds are at 1gb up and download. However, when you connect a router the speed drops both ways. So I replaced the router with the Netgear Orbi Mesh router which is wonderful I get wireless throughout the whole house. The wireless connections depend on devices get's to 400mb which is fine... but when connected by ethernet upload speeds get up to 900mb but the download is 500mb. Regards what router I have tried the results are the same. HyperOptics are sending a replacement router their new model... but any ideas or tips anyone... to should I change my Orbi to router into AP mode?

You're not going to get gigabit speeds over wifi, no matter what manufacturers claim about their routers. It's wired only if you want to max out your connection - I'd be pretty happy with 400mbps over wifi!

Hyperoptic do highlight these limitations in their marketing material so I doubt they'll do much further to help you.

Hope this clears things up.

Soldato
thought a router would need a fairly beefy cpu to be able to route at such high speeds. after looking on smallnetbuilder reviews some triple core routers manage to get the speed up to gigabit

Associate
Intially got to this thread via Google hoping for talks of hacking the stock router you get from HyperOptic, sadly I've seen nothing. Anyhow I've had their 1GB up & down package for about 4 months and it's an excellent performer. I pay £10 a month x 12 months (some promo).

Wired (stock router from HyperOptic):
http://www.speedtest.net/result/d/7c289ea5-2c2d-4832-80db-1739f5845841

9YlBPin.png

Wireless (stock router from HyperOptic):
http://www.speedtest.net/result/d/ae0f8ae2-230a-4a75-a749-2b60d2996639

wOIWQXw.png

Hopefully their service holds up through the year.

Last edited:
Soldato
Intially got to this thread via Google hoping for talks of hacking the stock router you get from HyperOptic, sadly I've seen nothing. Anyhow I've had their 1GB up & down package for about 4 months and it's an excellent performer. I pay £10 a month x 12 months (some promo).

Wired (stock router from HyperOptic):
http://www.speedtest.net/result/d/7c289ea5-2c2d-4832-80db-1739f5845841

9YlBPin.png

Wireless (stock router from HyperOptic):
http://www.speedtest.net/result/d/ae0f8ae2-230a-4a75-a749-2b60d2996639

wOIWQXw.png

Hopefully their service holds up through the year.

I get a lot more than this on stock router, at least 200 using my phone connected to 5Ghz ac.

TJM

TJM

Associate
I wouldn't worry about how other people's wireless connections perform. A reasonably thick wall or the type of interference that you get in blocks of flats will slash your throughput on 5Ghz.

Soldato
Which router do you have? Mine doesn't even support AC. I have the ZXHN H298N.

99k91YB.png

Might have been n not ac. I have this thing here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Z..._AUIESgB&biw=412&bih=718#imgrc=bl_d1IHHEG8jIM:

I didn't really stop to look through it, switched it straight to my own router straight after I tested the speed. The comment above is right though, there are plenty of reasons for differences, wall thickness and interference are usually major ones. The client side WiFi adapter too.

Associate
I've got a Unifi 5Ghz setup at my house, and that gets around 400-500mbit throughput to a gigabit-connected server on my LAN.

I think it's fair to say that gigabit wifi is difficult bordering on the impossible at the time of writing. Of course, someone reading this post in 2027 will scoff with derision, hello to you!

Caporegime
Oh wow, that bundled router is a terrible pairing for a service that is at a minimum going to be 150Mbps. Single band 802.11n, welcome to eight years ago.

If you've just had it installed then I'm not sure why you were given that. They've moved onto the Tilgin HG23xx, which is an AC device.

Last edited:
Associate
I think it's fair to say that gigabit wifi is difficult bordering on the impossible at the time of writing. Of course, someone reading this post in 2027 will scoff with derision, hello to you!
With 802.11ac wave 2 using 160Mhz bands it's not too far off - this is using an Intel 9260 card with a Synology RT2600ac:

7179972145.png

Associate
i am also struggling using my own Asus RT-AC53 router with hyperoptic 150mb service. its weird because when i restart the router it says "your ISP dhcp is not functioning correctly" then if you click on that message it does a quick setup and finally gets dhcp connection. similar to someone else who pointed this out so looks like ASUS routers not compatible with hyperoptic.
i have also tried static IP because it seems like i always get assigned the same IP but then service just stops working so they probably work via IP reservations only on their end.

really pulling my hair out becasue i bought this asus router specifically for the parental features but may have to amazon return it

Associate
Hi,

Anyone on the 1Gb package and not paying for static ip? Was wondering why their support page says:

Source: https://www.hyperoptic.com/faq/posts/connecting-a-non-hyperoptic-router/
If you are a 1Gb customer, no specific configuration is required. If you are a 30Mb or 150Mb customer, your router needs to support /31 (255.255.255.254) subnet mask on its WAN port in order for the router to work with Hyperoptic’s service.

I know for a fact the 150Mb (and probably 30Mb) package they allocate an IP from a /31 subnet (RFC 3021) in the CGNAT range of IP addresses (100.64.x.x).

I wonder if it's the same on the 1Gb package, as their support page seems to indicate that it is not.

Would be very grateful if someone could confirm!

Thanks very much!

Associate
Does box.co.uk fail to fully load for anyone else?
I've contacted hyperoptic support but I'm getting the impression that can't figure it out why its not working for me.
On my PC I've tried using three types of browsers, cleared cookies and the lot, all makes no difference.
On my iPhone, using the same browser and logged into my account of that browser, using 4g not my home wifi, the website loads no problem, but when I reconnect back to wifi the website won't load.

Every other website works fine.

Soldato
Works fine for me - I have a static IP on my connection, not sure if that makes a difference. Perhaps try it over a VPN see if it helps? If so it could be the CGNAT that they use causing you problems.

Associate
Does box.co.uk fail to fully load for anyone else?
I've contacted hyperoptic support but I'm getting the impression that can't figure it out why its not working for me.
On my PC I've tried using three types of browsers, cleared cookies and the lot, all makes no difference.
On my iPhone, using the same browser and logged into my account of that browser, using 4g not my home wifi, the website loads no problem, but when I reconnect back to wifi the website won't load.

Every other website works fine.

Open "inspect element" on your browser and go to the Network tab. Try to load the page; see if that offers any clues?
When I went there just now, box.co.uk resolved to 109.111.220.180 - Looks like that's hosted with Metronet / M247. From here in Manchester, the traceroute goes via IX Manchester, rather than out via GTT; maybe there's some muppetry going on with their routing for that?

Soldato
Once your contract runs out are you eligible for new customer prices online?

My 9 months at £18 switched to £35 last month for 100Mb. I can either wait two months or start a new 12 month contract at £35 for a speed bump to 150Mb.

I won't phone up to haggle tbh.

Back
Top Bottom