Razors via subscription

Associate
Just wondering how many folks have tried the shaving clubs? I really dislike paying full price for Gillette razors (Fusions are about £3 a cartridge when you buy in the supermarket), though I do like a decent shave as I don't like stubble. The big players are Harrys, Dollar Shave Club (DSC), Gillette and Bic. Personally I've been trying Harrys and whilst I really like their products and I'm paying about £1.75 per 5 blade cartridge, and even though I bet about a week and a half per cartridge it still feels a little steep. DSC works out around the same price for their lowest price 6 blade system (about £2 per cartridge). Bic again is £2 per cartridge and Gillette Fusion's work out at £2.05. I did try the Lidl / Aldi razors (and even though apparently the Lidl cartridges are made in the same factory as Harry's I didnt find them as good).

TL;DR Does anyone else use a subscription razor service, if so how do you find it?

Caporegime
Just wondering how many folks have tried the shaving clubs? I really dislike paying full price for Gillette razors (Fusions are about £3 a cartridge when you buy in the supermarket), though I do like a decent shave as I don't like stubble. The big players are Harrys, Dollar Shave Club (DSC), Gillette and Bic. Personally I've been trying Harrys and whilst I really like their products and I'm paying about £1.75 per 5 blade cartridge, and even though I bet about a week and a half per cartridge it still feels a little steep. DSC works out around the same price for their lowest price 6 blade system (about £2 per cartridge). Bic again is £2 per cartridge and Gillette Fusion's work out at £2.05. I did try the Lidl / Aldi razors (and even though apparently the Lidl cartridges are made in the same factory as Harry's I didnt find them as good).

TL;DR Does anyone else use a subscription razor service, if so how do you find it?

Thought about trying DE shaving?

About £10-15 for 100 blades. Saves a fortune.

Soldato
Thought about trying DE shaving?

About £10-15 for 100 blades. Saves a fortune.

To expand, Begbie means double edge razors. They are old school, ultra sharp blades. You buy a handle and then a pack of standard double edge blades. There are a range of suppliers and each blade lasts 2 to 4 shaves. It means replacing them more often but save you a fortune. People argue it also makes a closer shave but it is much easier to cut yourself.

Soldato
When I shaved with a razor I changed my blade once a year, and that's only if I got another razor at Christmas. Razor blade business is a con.

Man of Honour
^^ This.

DE provides a far superior shave at a fraction of the cost. Disposables are a complete waste of time and money.

I can only speak for myself as everyone will get on a bit differently with any blade but Wilkinsons Sword Hydro 5 gives me superior results (as good a cut with less irritation) to the amount of time I'd be prepared to spend shaving with a DE on a regular basis. While I can get better results with a DE or shavette it requires far more time and concentration. (I'm fairly experienced with shaving so not like I'm struggling with a DE).

Unfortunately the Hydro 5 are crazy expensive.

Caporegime
I can only speak for myself as everyone will get on a bit differently with any blade but Wilkinsons Sword Hydro 5 gives me superior results (as good a cut with less irritation) to the amount of time I'd be prepared to spend shaving with a DE on a regular basis. While I can get better results with a DE or shavette it requires far more time and concentration. (I'm fairly experienced with shaving so not like I'm struggling with a DE).

After buying a disposable because my DE broke, I agree. Whilst I can shave quickly with a DE, shaving with a disposable is much quicker with less issues. But I still prefer the DE, I can shave the night before and still look like I have less stubble than with a disposable in the morning.

Man of Honour
After buying a disposable because my DE broke, I agree. Whilst I can shave quickly with a DE, shaving with a disposable is much quicker with less issues. But I still prefer the DE, I can shave the night before and still look like I have less stubble than with a disposable in the morning.

I find most disposable/cartridge razors rubbish - I've never found a Gillette that works for me even their most expensive just tears up my face - but some like the Hydro 5 do a great job.

I'm fortunate though in that it takes me around 3 days to get the same level of stubble as most seem to get by the end of a single day.

Caporegime
I used to use Gillette, can't remember which one exactly but it was one of the fancy expensive ones with all the extra bells & whistles. I then tried a Wilkinson which again is one of the pricier jobbies and they last 10x as long. I shave once or teitw a week and my facial hair is made of titanium or something. It's ridiculous. A blade lasts me about 4 months.

Associate
Like someone else posted I use the same razor blades for around 4-6 months. Was in the forces for years and got inspected on a daily basis for a clean shave so had to shave everyday. I just use the Gillette mach 3 blades and make sure I give them a good clean and leave them in a dry place. Never understood why so many people say they last a week or 2. I can grow a full beard quite quick to so it's not that I don't have anything to shave.

Soldato

I only use hydro 5, after trying every other razor on the market.

They never irritate my skin and last a fair amount of time. Shave straight out of the shower every morning.

I get 2-3 weeks out of a razor head.

Use Amazon to get refills - works out at about £2 per head

Back
Top Bottom