Really need your expertise and knowledge to diagnose a hard reset problem. Please Help

Soldato
Hello,

Thanks for coming to try to help.

This is the problem in it's entirety.

The Pc worked perfectly for about a year until my old psu popped and caused the entire house to trip a fuse, (february)
I replaced the Psu with a kolink 1000w bronze and all was good until I woke up after 2 days (Pc was idle when i left it)
and in the morning the pc was off, it would not turn on unless i took out my vega 56 and turned out that the vega had died in the middle of the night and smelt of electrical burn

I RMA'd the vega and bought a second hand vega 64.

All was good for 3 days until the pc started hard resetting, sometimes 1 minute after loading a game, sometimes 3 hours after. Other times i would be using the internet with music on and it would hard reset randomly.

Things I've tried in 2 weeks:

Completely fresh install of windows
Completely resetting the bios to stock, (even running the ram at stock and not its rated mhz)
Different GPU drivers (also using driver ddu many times)
Taking out one of the sticks of ram (still happens)
Checking the voltages in various programs (everything perfect)
Running aida64 , memory cpu fsu hdd ssd gpu cache with all my ram, and with just one stick. (No crashes at all, temperatures very very good)
Running Aida64 with every thing overclocked , the cpu (4.6ghz the ram (2800mhz) and the gpu to try and make it crash (No crashes happened temps max on cpu at 75.C Gpu 70/80.C)
Changed the power strip its plugged into.
Checked and re plugged in all connections.

Please help

I don't know what else it could be, i only can think that maybe the pci slot was damaged, the motherboard itself, the cpu, or BOTH sticks of ram when the previous psu popped.

I appreciate anything you can say to help.

I5 6600k
Corsair 2666mhz ddr4
Vega 64
Kolink 1000w Bronze
samsung 750 SSD
WD Black 1 TB HDD

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Have you considered the PSU that you bought could be faulty/rubbish. Buy a decent Seasonic one, 600w is more than enough. :)
I considered this, but its 1000w and bronze, the one i had before was a "other popular pc websites" own brand of 700w bronze and that lasted for 2 years.

Do you really think it could just be the power supply?

Ps a 600w is the absolute bare minimum required for my system with a vega 64

Man of Honour
Want to test it on my 750 seasonic platinum that I bought for the miner? I'm sure we can sort something out and am happy to swing it your way for some testing if all other avenues are explored.

Personally I'm not sure could just be some random hardware compatibility issue that is hard to pin down. I have looked at your system and app logs and nothing jumps out.

Soldato
OP
Yes, it could. However, who knows what else might have been damaged when the last one popped. It is not impossible for a newly bought part to be faulty :)
Want to test it on my 750 seasonic platinum that I bought for the miner? I'm sure we can sort something out and am happy to swing it your way for some testing if all other avenues are explored.

Personally I'm not sure could just be some random hardware compatibility issue that is hard to pin down. I have looked at your system and app logs and nothing jumps out.

I would appreciate having something to test that out with Vince, at least i can get through the components one at a time.
Hoping its not both ram or the MB or the PCI Ex slot.. i just dont know anymore

Man of Honour
I would appreciate having something to test that out with Vince, at least i can get through the components one at a time.
Hoping its not both ram or the MB or the PCI Ex slot.. i just dont know anymore

Can talk in the Mumbles over the weekend and ill sort you something to test with :) I do only have seasonic platinums so we can try one of them bad boys. Will it fix it? IMO not a hope but it will be interesting seeing. Also update bios to latest one on your board got to be worth a go.

Soldato
OP
Can talk in the Mumbles over the weekend and ill sort you something to test with :) I do only have seasonic platinums so we can try one of them bad boys. Will it fix it? IMO not a hope but it will be interesting seeing. Also update bios to latest one on your board got to be worth a go.
Updated to latest bios, chipset and audio, flashed the gpu bios to the sapphire original in case the previous owner had fiddled with it.

Associate
You've covered the bases for low hanging fruit - You should use a PSU tester to see if the PSU is within spec.

This won't show the spec of the PSU under load - it's still the most likely part to need replacing.

Associate
This has to be a software issue right - can you partition your drive & install a clean windows installation to it to test the alt-tab from a game?

Soldato
Short inside the case? (if it's feasible to run the system outside the case, it might be worth a shot) Faulty / badly wired peripheral?

If you have a second system you can test individual parts in, that might help eliminate parts being a problem, even if that just means HDDs, GPU and USB devices. It could be a long standing motherboard issue that hasn't made itself obvious.

Soldato
OP
Short inside the case? (if it's feasible to run the system outside the case, it might be worth a shot) Faulty / badly wired peripheral?

If you have a second system you can test individual parts in, that might help eliminate parts being a problem, even if that just means HDDs, GPU and USB devices. It could be a long standing motherboard issue that hasn't made itself obvious.
Could well be the thing is it takes playing a game before it crashes, sometimes after 2 minutes sometimes after 2 hours. I will try this like you say
I'm in Surrey too wonder if your near me

Soldato
Have you tested using a different plug at the wall? (or different 4-way or whatever you're using) Could this may be something to do with where or how you're connecting up the equipment? Just chucking ideas out there.

Where you located btw? Guildford is nextdoor to me.

Soldato
OP
Have you tested using a different plug at the wall? (or different 4-way or whatever you're using) Could this may be something to do with where or how you're connecting up the equipment? Just chucking ideas out there.

Where you located btw? Guildford is nextdoor to me.
I tried a different 4 way adapter and no change, I work in Guildford !

Associate
Hmm, with clean windows installations out of the way - intermittent faults are usually a connection problem - either a cable or socket.

Testing the cables will show they work unless they're flexed in the right way if there's a break.

Tried disassembling it entirely & firmly rebuilding it?

Soldato
OP
So it seems like something is wrong with the motherboard as I have exausted all possiblities.

I used a brand new gpu to test in the system, the same thing happens, except with this card the screen freezes instead of the entire system resetting.Which is interesting.
So I will replace the psu just in case, and the motherboard also, or maybe just sell it all and get ryzen 2..

Soldato
OP
Hmm, with clean windows installations out of the way - intermittent faults are usually a connection problem - either a cable or socket.

Testing the cables will show they work unless they're flexed in the right way if there's a break.

Tried disassembling it entirely & firmly rebuilding it?
I have spent so many weeks on this now after work and on days off that I am despising even touching it, I may try dis and re assembling it, but the problem only happens when it feels like it.
Like i said sometimes its 2 minutes sometimes 2 days before it happens so if i did the above it will convince me that its working for a day or two and then fail on me again...
This is the one and only thing i hate about pc's

Soldato
I have spent so many weeks on this now after work and on days off that I am despising even touching it, I may try dis and re assembling it, but the problem only happens when it feels like it.
Like i said sometimes its 2 minutes sometimes 2 days before it happens so if i did the above it will convince me that its working for a day or two and then fail on me again...
This is the one and only thing i hate about pc's

guessing trying the difference PSU didnt help? though couldn't see from above if you managed to get ahold of one

what is the brand of board ? and did you get form ocuk?

Back
Top Bottom