Wow how slow is Windows 10 at updating? Also how to prevent it updating in future?

Man of Honour
I'm not saying Windows 7 was problem free - just saying that the experience with updates you are talking about with 10 isn't reflected by the experience of most users and increasingly less the case it seems with each new update.

At least with 7 you could take proper manual control over updates and mostly avoid the kind of problems that you have little choice over with 10.

You seem to have got the wrong end of the stick over tweaking - I'm saying it isn't like many people posting here are lacking experience of stuff like that but you posted earlier with an air of people having problems with 10 because they were noobs. Personally I've created a complete custom shell for Windows 3.1, compiled my own customised Debian and done tons of shell hacking on Windows 95-7, etc. it isn't like I'm complaining because I can't figure out how to do some simple tweaks that would sort all the problems with 10 for me. Unfortunately it isn't worth putting the effort in to 10 to do a significant OS hack as you'd have to statically stay on an older version with no security updates or because how much changes with each big update be forever redoing massive amounts of work for compatibility reasons.

Which reminds me at kernel and shell API level, etc. there are some pretty LOL changes between versions of 10 - there is way too many people involved in development where the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing - it isn't surprising there are so many issues.

Soldato
I'm not saying Windows 7 was problem free - just saying that the experience with updates you are talking about with 10 isn't reflected by the experience of most users and increasingly less the case it seems with each new update.

At least with 7 you could take proper manual control over updates and mostly avoid the kind of problems that you have little choice over with 10.

Well weeks ago at Build 2018, Microsoft announced Windows 10 installed base used nearly 700 million devices. About 700 million users included me had enjoyed experience with Windows 10.

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-now-use-700-million-active-devices

So last night I found AdDuplex report for April 2018 on Windows 10 PC OS Versions Worldwide how many people have Windows 10 updates installed.

http://reports.adduplex.com/reports/2018-04/

1709 update installed on 92.1% of devices, only 0.4% ran Windows 10 RTM 1507 refused to update to latest version and 0.8% happy ran Windows Insiders builds with lots of bugs.

But before I post this, I was very surprised to read news online that AdDuplex now published May report.

http://reports.adduplex.com/reports/2018-05/

1803 update installed on 50% of devices so that is around 350 million devices and 1709 update fell from 92.1% to 43%.

You seem to have got the wrong end of the stick over tweaking - I'm saying it isn't like many people posting here are lacking experience of stuff like that but you posted earlier with an air of people having problems with 10 because they were noobs. Personally I've created a complete custom shell for Windows 3.1, compiled my own customised Debian and done tons of shell hacking on Windows 95-7, etc. it isn't like I'm complaining because I can't figure out how to do some simple tweaks that would sort all the problems with 10 for me. Unfortunately it isn't worth putting the effort in to 10 to do a significant OS hack as you'd have to statically stay on an older version with no security updates or because how much changes with each big update be forever redoing massive amounts of work for compatibility reasons.

Which reminds me at kernel and shell API level, etc. there are some pretty LOL changes between versions of 10 - there is way too many people involved in development where the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing - it isn't surprising there are so many issues.

Yeah but Windows is not the only have so many issues in every version since Windows 1.0 back in 1985, Microsoft had lots of projects failures and disasters like Cairo and Longhorn etc, engineers and developers did not know what they are doing and Bill Gates yelled at them everytime when they cant figured out how to fixed it the way he wanted in his imagined vision then they moved to Plan B, Plan C, Plan D etc. All failed projects in Cairo was morphed into Longhorn, Blue, Threshold and now Redstone. if engineers and developers had bright minds and creative ideas back in 1993 managed to fixed all Cairo projects and bug free then Windows 95 would had been the most secured OS ever with rich features like Windows Presentation Foundation, Windows Display Driver Model, OFS Object File System (later renamed WinFS) to replace FAT16 and NTFS. OFS/WinFS is one project failed twice was Bill Gates's biggest disappointment ever so ReFS was probably Plan C hopefully one day will replace NTFS in future Windows 10 update soon when it finally implement all missing NTFS functionality features File system compression, File system encryption, Transactions, Hard links, Object IDs, Short names, Extended attributes, Disk quotas, Bootable, Page file support and Supported on removable media.

MacOS, iOS, Android, FreeBSD, Linux and others included consoles also have so many issues at kernel and shell API level etc too, there are so many versions caused apps and games broke in every big updates and security updates. Had lots of apps and games on my Ipod Touch 5G broke when updated to iOS 11 then I downgraded to iOS 10 and all worked fine. Years ago I had Samsung Galaxy SII with Android 4.3 not happy with Samsung abandoned my phone not supported Android 5.0, I had tried experienced with many custom ROMs but not impressed with all missing or broken features like camera, flash, battery, GPS, many apps and games not worked then I went to bought Galaxy S5 with Android 5.0. No wonder Android phones manufacturers had hundreds or thousands of customised Linux kernels must performed rigorously tested all phones for days, weeks and months on every new Android version and security updates to make sure all devices components and stock apps passed tests worked properly and dropped devices support that failed tests then pushed firmwares and security updates online. Android apps and games which did not worked with new Android versions and security updates will need developers to provided new update fixes to get it run and worked properly.

Man of Honour
Well weeks ago at Build 2018, Microsoft announced Windows 10 installed base used nearly 700 million devices. About 700 million users included me had enjoyed experience with Windows 10.

That doesn't mean they are having a good experience...

Also MS's accounting is a bit dubious for instance they count businesses as upgraded to Windows 10 even if they trial the OS and then roll back to whatever they used before.

Your use of paper thin and disingenuous arguments don't fool me.

MacOS, iOS, Android, FreeBSD, Linux and others included consoles also have so many issues at kernel and shell API level etc too, there are so many versions caused apps and games broke in every big updates and security updates. Had lots of apps and games on my Ipod Touch 5G broke when updated to iOS 11 then I downgraded to iOS 10 and all worked fine. Years ago I had Samsung Galaxy SII with Android 4.3 not happy with Samsung abandoned my phone not supported Android 5.0, I had tried experienced with many custom ROMs but not impressed with all missing or broken features like camera, flash, battery, GPS, many apps and games not worked then I went to bought Galaxy S5 with Android 5.0. No wonder Android phones manufacturers had hundreds or thousands of customised Linux kernels must performed rigorously tested all phones for days, weeks and months on every new Android version and security updates to make sure all devices components and stock apps passed tests worked properly and dropped devices support that failed tests then pushed firmwares and security updates online. Android apps and games which did not worked with new Android versions and security updates will need developers to provided new update fixes to get it run and worked properly.

This was never about other OSes being without issues - this is about the lack with Windows 10 of being able to take proper control (a large part of that due to Windows update behaviour) to avoid issues that shouldn't even be a problem and that many of the issues are of their own making and either shouldn't be there in the first place or have long been reported and promoted on the feedback hub but haven't been addressed.

Last edited:
Soldato
That doesn't mean they are having a good experience...

Also MS's accounting is a bit dubious for instance they count businesses as upgraded to Windows 10 even if they trial the OS and then roll back to whatever they used before.

Your use of paper thin and disingenuous arguments don't fool me.

This was never about other OSes being without issues - this is about the lack with Windows 10 of being able to take proper control (a large part of that due to Windows update behaviour) to avoid issues that shouldn't even be a problem and that many of the issues are of their own making and either shouldn't be there in the first place or have long been reported and promoted on the feedback hub but haven't been addressed.

Majority of businesses over the last 3 years trialed Windows 10 and switched from Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. US Department of Defense already upgraded 4 millions PCs to Windows 10.

My sister work at college, the college network been trialed Windows 8.1, switched Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 back in 2013, trialed Windows 10 and switched Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 completed in 2016.

Windows 8.1 and Windows 10's Windows Update are basically the same.

Man of Honour

Come on... your arguments are getting more and more paper thin - everyone knows that you can trivially fully disable automatic updates in 8.1, take full control over driver updates, can select between downloading updates automatically but the user chooses when to install them, prompting to download updates or with a little bit more advanced tweaking can configure the automatic update of security updates but manually install feature updates or disable updates entirely plus you have some control over the process while it is happening to pause or restart it if necessary and it doesn't ignore things like metered connection settings if it feels like it which 10 will happily do.

Anecdotally I've had far less issues with updating systems on Windows 8 than 10 - 9 times out of 10 since they got Windows update working properly again for 7/8 it just works usually reasonably quick with nothing massively changed and no unexpected surprises. (Funny I never thought I'd see the day I'd prefer 8 over anything).

You know exactly how it should be - and exactly how 99% of OSes out there work and for good reason.

With 10 at best you can get some semblance of that behaviour with certain versions and GPO, etc. and even then Windows 10 will happily ignore whatever you have set if it feels like it - even in corporate environments (though a little less so since the outrage a few months back) - though even then there have been reports of systems updating to 1709 in business environments despite management implementations i.e. https://www.ghacks.net/2018/03/08/r...ion-1709-upgrades-that-bypass-windows-update/

I'm beginning to wonder if you or someone close to you works for MS as no one else could be so disconnected from the real world impact of Windows 10 - sure it isn't apocalyptic fallout for everyone - my dad's laptop has mostly just taken the last few updates without requiring attention and completed in around an hour aside from some moaning about things being changed around that he has quickly got used to - but generally as an overall experience it is far less than ideal and it doesn't take much reading of forums or google, etc. to see that.

V F

V F

Soldato
Majority of businesses over the last 3 years trialed Windows 10 and switched from Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. US Department of Defense already upgraded 4 millions PCs to Windows 10.

My sister work at college, the college network been trialed Windows 8.1, switched Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 back in 2013, trialed Windows 10 and switched Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 completed in 2016.

Windows 8.1 and 7 are. Windows 8 has the same options as 7. 10 does not.

http://www.fixwins.com/Fix-Windows-...aatne+Sunnitud+Upgrade+Windows+8+Windows+8.1?

Man of Honour
Windows 8.1 and 7 are. Windows 8 has the same options as 7. 10 does not.

http://www.fixwins.com/Fix-Windows-...aatne+Sunnitud+Upgrade+Windows+8+Windows+8.1?

I have to wonder about people's use of an OS sometimes - I've had a few times people defending 10's update behaviour by pointing out that "Android is just the same" but while many flavours of it do work similar to 10 by default all the options are there to take control of updates fortunately and it reliably adheres to the settings you choose.

I have nothing against people who are happy with the way 10 works but it certainly doesn't work well for everyone and in most cases it wouldn't take many changes to make the quality of life experience for a far broader range of users vastly better.

Soldato
Come on... your arguments are getting more and more paper thin - everyone knows that you can trivially fully disable automatic updates in 8.1, take full control over driver updates, can select between downloading updates automatically but the user chooses when to install them, prompting to download updates or with a little bit more advanced tweaking can configure the automatic update of security updates but manually install feature updates or disable updates entirely plus you have some control over the process while it is happening to pause or restart it if necessary and it doesn't ignore things like metered connection settings if it feels like it which 10 will happily do.

Anecdotally I've had far less issues with updating systems on Windows 8 than 10 - 9 times out of 10 since they got Windows update working properly again for 7/8 it just works usually reasonably quick with nothing massively changed and no unexpected surprises. (Funny I never thought I'd see the day I'd prefer 8 over anything).

You know exactly how it should be - and exactly how 99% of OSes out there work and for good reason.

With 10 at best you can get some semblance of that behaviour with certain versions and GPO, etc. and even then Windows 10 will happily ignore whatever you have set if it feels like it - even in corporate environments (though a little less so since the outrage a few months back) - though even then there have been reports of systems updating to 1709 in business environments despite management implementations i.e. https://www.ghacks.net/2018/03/08/r...ion-1709-upgrades-that-bypass-windows-update/

I'm beginning to wonder if you or someone close to you works for MS as no one else could be so disconnected from the real world impact of Windows 10 - sure it isn't apocalyptic fallout for everyone - my dad's laptop has mostly just taken the last few updates without requiring attention and completed in around an hour aside from some moaning about things being changed around that he has quickly got used to - but generally as an overall experience it is far less than ideal and it doesn't take much reading of forums or google, etc. to see that.

I don't know anyone close to me work for Microsoft but last night I texted my sister with link to this forum thread about Windows 10's Windows Update, earlier today after work she had good very interested chat with IT lecturer David who was my IT lecturer back in 1996 still working at college knew alots about DOS and Windows 1.0 through 10, I left college in 1997 and college still used ancient DOS and Windows 3.1 in 1997. I remembered asked David why college not used Windows 95 back in 1996 and he told me it was because of DOS and Windows 3.1 software compatibility not worked with Windows 95 after college trialed Windows 95 with all software college used failed tests. :D

David read this thread and wrote interested notes with links my sister gave to me. David was really not surprised at all people in this thread disconnected from the real world impact of Windows 10 and asked you when the last time you went to school, college or university?

Windows 10 installed base passed through 700 million devices milestone worldwide.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microso...-10-is-now-on-over-700-million-active-devices

Windows 10 will installed on all NHS computers across UK to strength security defence protection from future cyber attacks after NHS computers was infected by WannaCry ransomware back in 2017.

https://news.microsoft.com/en-gb/20...rees-windows-10-security-deal-with-microsoft/

My sister, David and 1000 staff used Windows 10 on both home desktop, laptop, tablet as well as college work laptop and tablet at New College Lanarkshire, the college has Microsoft Imagine Premium subscription that let 1,000 staff and 20,000 students access to webstore download Windows 10 and activate for free and other software like Azure. All PCs had already updated to 1803. They seemed have no complaints about Windows Update since Windows 10 RTM back in 2015.

https://e5.onthehub.com/WebStore/Of...s=874a6e3d-c08b-e011-969d-0030487d8897&vsro=8

You can find full list of schools, colleges and universities across UK and worldwide which has access to Microsoft Imagine subscription. Millions of students, teachers, lecturers, professors and employee worldwide used Windows 10.

https://imagine.microsoft.com/en-us/institutions/access#

You could try pause update or try configure Group Policy to use Windows Update for Business.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-wufb-group-policy

If nothing help and you still want to stop Windows Update, you could use cool utility Win Update Stop V1.3 to disable Windows Update

http://www.novirusthanks.org/products/win-update-stop/

Been tested Win Update Stop on Windows 10 test on VMWare to disabled Windows Update and restarted Windows 10, impressed to find Windows Update still disabled permanent and ran Win Update Stop to find it still enabled after restarted Windows 10.

Man of Honour
David was really not surprised at all people in this thread disconnected from the real world impact of Windows 10 and asked you when the last time you went to school, college or university?

Educational environment is about as far as you can get from the average user OS experience - they will be using long term stable builds with full management and testing of builds against known locked down hardware before deploying images live. Your arguments are getting more and more ridiculous.

I find it very unlikely that students taking advantage of it to use on their own systems aren't complaining as much as anyone else as there is plenty of evidence for that online - in those 20,000 users or whatever it is pretty unlikely there wasn't a number of users with Avast or one of a number of other hardware reasons that 1803 will have been blocked and in some cases still blocked such as some Toshiba SSDs, etc.

Post 1703 they included hardcoded routines to force updates via the upgrade assistant if Windows update hasn't run for awhile so 3rd party tools currently only prevent it for a month max.

Last edited:
Soldato
Windows 10 will installed on all NHS computers across UK to strength security defence protection from future cyber attacks after NHS computers was infected by WannaCry ransomware back in 2017.
this is a recommendation in recent report not yet POR
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmpubacc/787/787.pdf

You can find full list of schools, colleges and universities across UK and worldwide which has access to Microsoft Imagine subscription. Millions of students, teachers, lecturers, professors and employee worldwide used Windows 10.
a quick google ... they're not all there yet

University of Leicester

Windows 10 upgrade

Academic and professional services staff can now upgrade to Windows 10. Student PCs will be upgraded during Summer 2018.
s part of Digital Campus improvements, Windows 10 will be introduced to University PCs.

This will provide a modern Operating System for staff and students to use and include new features, enable other benefits in Office 365 and ensure that University PCs continue to be supported by Microsoft.

university southhampton
As we move through 2018 and 2019 we will monitor the deployment rate of Windows 10 machines. Towards the end of 2018 we will be working with University leadership teams to decide whether a large-scale, co-ordinated rollout of Windows 10 to all remaining computers is required to ensure all our estate is upgraded before we lose support in 2020.

When you're ready to prepare for your Windows 10 upgrade, you can start working through the step-by-step instructions.

... maybe Scotlands ahead of the curve.

Man of Honour
Doesn't really matter if what he says is accurate or not - he keeps quoting numbers that don't actually have much meaning i.e. "Windows 10 installed base passed through 700 million devices milestone worldwide." says nothing about how well it has been received or the quality of life experience especially as the numbers will have been fuelled by it being installed on pre-built machines, some hardware which doesn't have drivers for older Windows OSes like many newer 2 in 1 tablets, etc. etc. and MS continues to count as "installed" people who've installed 10 then gone back to another OS.

End of the day I'm not saying every single person has the same issues every time there is a new update or that older OSes are magically problem free but that a lot of people do have problems with 10, it isn't an unusual story at all and compounded by the approach MS is taking which is making things that shouldn't and wouldn't on any other OS be a problem, be a problem.

I've had updates for 7 take all day - but then at least you can trivially choose to do updates when you have time to accommodate that eventuality, etc. and if I know a driver is a problem with my machines I can easily manage that - on 10 even if you blacklist that particular update there is a good chance the OS will try to reapply it later when a new cumulative or feature update is released or sometimes even just when it feels like it.

It would be a little different story if the professional edition was actually a professional edition and let you take proper control of things even if the home edition was a more curated experience.

Soldato
Doesn't really matter if what he says is accurate or not - he keeps quoting numbers that don't actually have much meaning i.e. "Windows 10 installed base passed through 700 million devices milestone worldwide." says nothing about how well it has been received or the quality of life experience especially as the numbers will have been fuelled by it being installed on pre-built machines, some hardware which doesn't have drivers for older Windows OSes like many newer 2 in 1 tablets, etc. etc. and MS continues to count as "installed" people who've installed 10 then gone back to another OS.

End of the day I'm not saying every single person has the same issues every time there is a new update or that older OSes are magically problem free but that a lot of people do have problems with 10, it isn't an unusual story at all and compounded by the approach MS is taking which is making things that shouldn't and wouldn't on any other OS be a problem, be a problem.

My sister gave me David notes with links last night, David said your above quote are pointless arguments, it made no differences back in 2006 or 2009 when people rolled back Windows 7 or Windows Vista back to XP or ever rolled back between Linux, Android, Mac OS X, iOS and Chrome OS versions.

About 1.5 billion people or devices worldwide used Windows daily back in 2014.

https://web.archive.org/web/20141006032340/http://news.microsoft.com:80/bythenumbers/index.html

The quality of life experience with Windows 10 was very well received across all business sectors like aerospace, software, data processing, manufacturing, government, construction, consulting, energy, insurance, information technology, human resources, legal, marketing, retail, wholesale, entertainment, engineering, education, healthcare, finance, transportation, nonprofit, travel and military.

11% businesses adopted Windows 10 in 10 weeks after launch

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1232403-windows-10-who-s-using-it-10-weeks-after-launch

End of 2015 18% businesses adopted Windows 10

https://community.spiceworks.com/to...adoption-who-s-using-it-6-months-after-launch

Mid 2016 38% businesses adopted Windows 10

https://www.spiceworks.com/it-articles/windows-10-adoption/

March 2017 54% businesses adopted Windows 10

https://community.spiceworks.com/ne...inesses-still-hang-on-to-windows-xp-and-vista

June 2017 60% businesses adopted Windows 10

https://community.spiceworks.com/ne...doption-who-s-using-it-two-years-after-launch

2012 How do you handle Windows Updates in your company thread

https://community.spiceworks.com/to...handle-windows-updates-in-your-company?page=1

After read all article links and comments, interesting many businesses used all OSes Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Mac OS X, iOS, Android, Chrome OS and Linux. Unbelievable I found it really shocked 42% of businesses included 4.7% of NHS computers used in X-Ray and others ran Windows XP as of June 2017 last year had no security updates. Around 1% or less of businesses used Linux is a tragedy. Looked what happened to SteamOS with so many issues with updates and very poor performance, this is the real reason Linux will never reach consumer desktop in the same level as Windows 7 and Windows 10 as employees found it very hard to use Linux so Linux is best suited to developers/programmers for compile sources and IT pros for servers and datacenters.

The survey on Windows 10 is interesting read on businesses real world experience on Windows 10 issues they went through had experienced same issues with Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista. Windows 10 is no different.

I remembered back in 1992 when Windows 3.1 came out and people at workplaces hated the UI and it had no multi-tasking, they wished they used MacOS or Amiga OS then when Windows 95 came out many businesses hated ugly UI and it had so many issues and they went back to Windows 3.1.

Next month or so survey will be interesting to read how the aftermath of Wannacry and Petya ransomware and NotPetya malware last year affected businesses running old OSes Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. Windows 10 adoption in businesses could increase to 70% or over 80% in 2018 3 years after launch.

I've had updates for 7 take all day - but then at least you can trivially choose to do updates when you have time to accommodate that eventuality, etc. and if I know a driver is a problem with my machines I can easily manage that - on 10 even if you blacklist that particular update there is a good chance the OS will try to reapply it later when a new cumulative or feature update is released or sometimes even just when it feels like it.

It would be a little different story if the professional edition was actually a professional edition and let you take proper control of things even if the home edition was a more curated experience.

Yes I had updates on Windows 7 years ago took all day to updated so on Windows 10 it did not took all day to updated so it only take around 30 minutes on slow HDD or a few minutes to do it on SSD. Years ago my dad had issues with Geforce Go 7900 GS after Windows 7 BSOD and it never reached lockscreen, I never managed to get the driver worked again so I found Microsoft Basic Display Driver worked just fine. It seemed something inside GPU is broken and Windows 7 Windows Update tried to forced installed latest Geforce driver everytime I downloaded other updates so I manged to stopped Windows 7 forced installed Geforce driver by hide Geforce driver update on Windows Update. When I upgraded to Windows 8, it also forced to installed latest Geforce driver I did not wanted it so I simply hid the driver update and it also happened again on Windows 8.1 and ever Windows 10 so I still can hide drivers updates on Windows 10 Pro or Home so no big deal.

I found cool utilities called Windows Update MiniTool 20.12.2016 and a script called WUMT Wrapper 2.3.5 that can take full control of Windows Update on Windows 10 and let you chose what update to download and install.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_update_minitool.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wumt_wrapper_script.html

Also here is other one called Windows Update Minitool Integrator.

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-update-minitool-integrator-v1-0.71286/

I tested Windows Update Minitool and WUMT Wrapper Script worked fine on VM but I cant get Windows Update Minitool Integrator to work cos Windows Defender Security blocked it everytime I tried to run it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
it made no differences back in 2006 or 2009 when people rolled back Windows 7 or Windows Vista back to XP or ever rolled back between Linux, Android, Mac OS X, iOS and Chrome OS versions.

What does this even mean? other than that those numbers aren't particularly reliable as an indicator of anything and certainly shouldn't be used at face value to try and make a sincere point.

Yes I had updates on Windows 7 years ago took all day to updated so on Windows 10 it did not took all day to updated so it only take around 30 minutes on slow HDD or a few minutes to do it on SSD. Years ago my dad had issues with Geforce Go 7900 GS after Windows 7 BSOD and it never reached lockscreen, I never managed to get the driver worked again so I found Microsoft Basic Display Driver worked just fine. It seemed something inside GPU is broken and Windows 7 Windows Update tried to forced installed latest Geforce driver everytime I downloaded other updates so I manged to stopped Windows 7 forced installed Geforce driver by hide Geforce driver update on Windows Update. When I upgraded to Windows 8, it also forced to installed latest Geforce driver I did not wanted it so I simply hid the driver update and it also happened again on Windows 8.1 and ever Windows 10 so I still can hide drivers updates on Windows 10 Pro or Home so no big deal.

So basically Windows update is a fairly poor experience across all versions of Windows and as per the examples I showed before - as can be seen on the threads here and other forums and the official discussion forums Windows 10 at the very least is no better than any previous OS for the updates experience which is a good reason why the end user should be given every tool to manage the experience possible and certainly never have the process automated outside of their control. 3rd party applications don't really cut it with the ever changing nature of Windows 10 and make it harder to stay current with critical security updates in a managed fashion also as I mentioned before those utilities don't take full control any longer since 1703 or so due to the hardcoded routines to force the Windows upgrade assistant if Windows update hasn't ran in awhile.

We can quibble over the quality of the average user experience but anecdotally your experience or mine in isolation means very little - parroting numbers from business adoption, etc. is also fairly meaningless especially as noted those numbers do not take into account things like rollbacks and there is plenty of evidence that a significant volume of users are NOT happy with Windows 10 regardless of how many millions might be using it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...readType=discussions&tm=1528303200670&auth=1# which again isn't anything more than indicative as people tend to complain more about these things that they do make positive comments but the numbers that are posting positive experiences are very very small which tends to indicate the general trend isn't positive.

EDIT: If you have Windows 8 setup correctly it absolutely will not force nVidia driver updates - its possible you had GeForce Experience or another component of the nVidia drivers setup to deliver the latest drivers automatically but Windows itself with the driver updates disabled will not force them. On 8 if you hide an update it won't be applied again (if its being applied again something else has gone wrong) on 10 that is not reliable as commented on by quite a few posters here let alone in general - often the next major update will just ignore updates you've hidden if it thinks they are "critical" for the smooth operation of Windows (you can even see it in the text description that it will do that).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
the aftermath of Wannacry

A curious thing about Wannacry - while a then only recently disclosed vulnerability (Eternal Blue) was used to spread the infection within networks and might have been the entry point for some networks (which stupidly had SMB, etc. exposed to the internet) there is still a lot of mystery about how the attack gained traction and the remote access vector used to gain entry to many networks - it is often put down to "phishing" but IBM, Kaspersky and McAfee have all stated that their tracking shows far too low levels of such compared to what would have been required: https://twitter.com/calebbarlow/status/864232713863213056 but for some reason this has been largely ignored in favour of the completely unsubstantiated but accepted because it sounds likely explanation - I find it curious and a little alarming how many even security professionals simply wave their hands and say phishing when pressed on it - even get angry when pressed on the fact that they can't provide evidence of it from their syslogs (despite claiming that is how their systems were infected) and that it isn't substantiated by the actual forensics done by a small number of people.

Updates were available to protect against EB but many corporations hadn't applied them yet at that point probably a significant factor being because MS makes it far more difficult than it needs to be to effectively test and deploy security updates "out of band" (in the realworld people can't just deploy updates to live "production" systems without appropriate qualification testing but MS seems to be under the impression they can and that becomes a problem when you can't easily separate out just the security updates you need quickly and effectively) - so while XP machines made it easier for the vulnerability to spread Windows 10 was also largely not a defence against it.

Another strange quirk is that a not insignificant number of companies that were infected only had Windows 10 systems on the edge of their networks and older machines were not directly exposed to remote attacks i.e. didn't have online access - I suspect part of the picture is related to this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/security-updates/securityadvisories/2017/4022344 but again not enough traffic of that kind was logged by people like IBM to fully explain the outbreak.

Windows 10 won't be ushering in any new era of security - none the least a huge aspect of that is end user education and practises. Any company that is updating to Windows 10 assuming that it is magically going to change their security positioning without anything else required is going to be sorely disappointed.

Last edited:
Soldato

V F

V F

Soldato
What does this even mean? other than that those numbers aren't particularly reliable as an indicator of anything and certainly shouldn't be used at face value to try and make a sincere point.

So basically Windows update is a fairly poor experience across all versions of Windows and as per the examples I showed before - as can be seen on the threads here and other forums and the official discussion forums Windows 10 at the very least is no better than any previous OS for the updates experience which is a good reason why the end user should be given every tool to manage the experience possible and certainly never have the process automated outside of their control. 3rd party applications don't really cut it with the ever changing nature of Windows 10 and make it harder to stay current with critical security updates in a managed fashion also as I mentioned before those utilities don't take full control any longer since 1703 or so due to the hardcoded routines to force the Windows upgrade assistant if Windows update hasn't ran in awhile.

We can quibble over the quality of the average user experience but anecdotally your experience or mine in isolation means very little - parroting numbers from business adoption, etc. is also fairly meaningless especially as noted those numbers do not take into account things like rollbacks and there is plenty of evidence that a significant volume of users are NOT happy with Windows 10 regardless of how many millions might be using it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...readType=discussions&tm=1528303200670&auth=1# which again isn't anything more than indicative as people tend to complain more about these things that they do make positive comments but the numbers that are posting positive experiences are very very small which tends to indicate the general trend isn't positive.

EDIT: If you have Windows 8 setup correctly it absolutely will not force nVidia driver updates - its possible you had GeForce Experience or another component of the nVidia drivers setup to deliver the latest drivers automatically but Windows itself with the driver updates disabled will not force them. On 8 if you hide an update it won't be applied again (if its being applied again something else has gone wrong) on 10 that is not reliable as commented on by quite a few posters here let alone in general - often the next major update will just ignore updates you've hidden if it thinks they are "critical" for the smooth operation of Windows (you can even see it in the text description that it will do that).

At least you can switch that off. I've never once had a driver update through it. Thank god it's never forced.

Man of Honour
At least you can switch that off. I've never once had a driver update through it. Thank god it's never forced.

Hah - sadly some of the recent nVidia drivers have been a bit tragic - I had several systems back on 358.59 until 397.64 fortunately aside from 1-2 newer games that kicked up a fuss about "needing" newer drivers nothing really needed anything newer anyhow.

Forced updates would have been horrific - IIRC some people in the nVidia driver thread just got constant BSODs with some releases in the mid 380s or whatever it was.

V F

V F

Soldato
Forced updates would have been horrific - IIRC some people in the nVidia driver thread just got constant BSODs with some releases in the mid 380s or whatever it was.

I think it was the 90 series. Certain/some 1060 6GB cards. There seems to be very little quality control these days but hey, we're all thick dummies right? We have absolute no clue what we're doing in Windows. It's all PEBKAC. :rolleyes:

https://www.neowin.net/news/nvidias-39731-geforce-drivers-are-causing-a-pc-reset-loop-for-some-users

Associate
Every time I check my news feed at the moment there is some update horror show with Windows 10. I have tried to avoid it where i can, preferring Linux or Mac but you just cant get away from Windows. Really hope they iron out the update bugs a a reinstall is a pain.

Man of Honour
Every time I check my news feed at the moment there is some update horror show with Windows 10. I have tried to avoid it where i can, preferring Linux or Mac but you just cant get away from Windows. Really hope they iron out the update bugs a a reinstall is a pain.

The go to advice on the official Windows 10 discussion groups is a clean install - a clean install should be a last resort and an exceptional case not required at regular intervals to have a properly working Windows install...

By my reckoning I've done more complete reinstalls of Windows 10 for friends. family and general IT support now in the last ~12 months than any previous version of Windows in the last 10 years and it is quite notable how often I have to do it due to Windows 10 screwing up while in the past the vast majority of the time it was because of user error i.e. malware due to all the **** they've installed, etc.

Back
Top Bottom