Road Cycling

Soldato
Mine is creaky, I wouldn't change it just because but it's got a lovely noise coming from it, so going to swap it over.

What BB is on your bike? Rotor do a universal BB or you can use the relevant bearings to switch. I am BB86 so need some £40 bearings to do the job but there is places with charts to show you compatibility and what you need.
BB30 press fit on the canyon.

Thanks @xdcx I'll have a look at those 2 rotors!

Soldato
If you cop out of it mid way through we'll constantly bring it up :)
I'd expect no less! :p

I've been on a bike rotation this week, so far each bike has had a day out on the commute :D made me realise I need to replace the BBs on the ultimate and aeroad though, and just ordered a couple of chains for them too. They're done over 5k each now which would have @Roady twitching. While I'm doing it, I might change the chain ring on the front of the Aeroad & get a new cassette, but I would like a more black one compared to the 9000 Dura Ace silver. I could go 9100, but wondered if the rotor ones are any good? Or any others that are nice and black?
So on both your Ultimate and Aeroad you've done ~5000km, not changed chain, chainrings, cassette or BB. Yet now it's time to change your chains (and probably cassettes due to the wear from chain), but you also need to change both your BB's?! :o

So although you've got nearly twice the life out of your chains, you've had 50% of the life of the BB's (and possibly cassettes/chainrings)...? Ouch! Sure they're that bad?! How are your chainrings looking? Or you only changing them due to look, rather than 'need'? ;)

I thought the 'lack' of life I was getting from my chains (<2000 miles) was originally due to over cleaning. The past year I've had far less time to clean things and still seeing <2500 miles, with most of my chains only being fully stripped by a chain tool 3-4 times in their lifetime (previously would've been 20+ times, almost every week!). Alongside that the OSBB (Praxis PF30 bb shell) in my Diverge is 23 months old, has done nearly 7000 miles and the bearings are still going strong. No creaks from them. I do get noises from grit getting into the bearing covers/BB sleeve interface, but no issues with my bearings. Might be worth checking your creaks are not also similar - dirt/grit in the interface, rather than bearings themselves?!

How have others found Canyon supplied bearing life like? The fact both of yours have DA I'd be surprised if they hadn't also got 'better' BB's & bearings than mine which basically came with cranks around 105 level? :o

Soldato
Canyon BB lifespan seems to be crap to be honest! I know others have experienced this as well. But, it's only really the chains and BB on the Aeroad that needs it, ultimate is OK really but I'm going to do it as I have a spare one here and I'm taking it apart to fit some absolute black oval chainrings :D haha there is no "need" on the chainring side (you can see wear, sure, but they would be fine I'm sure) although I get not quite as tight of a shift as I used to, I would say this is more cassette / chain related.

I think the Aeroad took more of a battering in the crap weather as I rode it all through winter and it probably didn't do it any favours. I don't believe in winter bikes :p

Soldato
They really do sound shockingly bad, I'd be really disappointed if I bought something with DA drivechain yet the BB was 'cheap'! Maybe I just assumed as they used Shimano components it was also Shimano BB's?!

I think winter road salt & water ingress really does batter things more than we realise, it's not until you've ridden through a few of them with various bikes/setups/cleaning regimes you really realise & notice the degrading of your components! :(

Disc brake pads & recommendations. Talk to me guys!

Front disk/pad experiencing fade and has done 3-4 times so far this year. Every time, doing a slight bleed/remove of (usually single) bubble with clean of pad & rotor with Disc cleaner seems to solve it. Last time it lasted only a couple of days before braking power was non existant again. This time I hadn't even ridden on a wet road, or cleaned my bike/removed wheels so I knew it was no outside reason. Checked for bubbles, nothing. Checked pads and seemed like loads of life left but surface had gone quite shiny and my rotor has started to discolour... Which I hadn't seen before, is this a symptom of contamination/faulty pad or something?

7k7JC5S.jpg

Removing the pads I realised they are the final set of Uberbike pads I bought (bought 4!), where I thought they where newer Shimano pads I'd bought. I have been utterly disappointed with these Uberbikes 'Race' matrix! I've had 4 sets now, none of them have 'lasted' longer than 1500 miles before experiencing serious fade and I've swapped them out. Here's what the surface of my pads look like when they get this 'bad'. Anyone with experience of this? It's almost as if the surface has become 'glazed' rather than wearing away. They're smooth to the touch!

ePir4U6.jpg 5CelsEk.jpg 7pzCHym.jpg

Thoughts?

Fitted a 'spare' Shimano M515 pad I got a couple of cheap pairs of in case of 'emergencies' like this (have no other spare pads, oops!) and although they work well there's an annoying 'clack' as the pads are slightly too small in my M565 calipers and move slightly when braking hard. Can hopefully get another Shimano J04 before sunday...

Last edited:
Soldato
you can try taking some sandpaper to the pads and disks, roughen them up a bit and take off the glazing. Makes them feel pretty good as long as they aren't contaminated

Soldato
How does everyone choose a new helmet? Mine (Kask Mojito in GB colours to honour Ian Stannard being National champ that year) is 5+ years old so I fancy a change / should replace. You can spend a lot of money on them and I don’t think aero really makes any difference at my paltry speeds. Just looks? They all pass the same EU safety tests it seems

Soldato
My Canyon Ultimate CF SLX has done around 20,000km on the original chainrings and bottom bracket, and that's with Ultegra. Having to change components like that after 5000km is madness

Like I said, I don't NEED to change the chain ring... aesthetically I wanted a black one! The BB on the aeroad needs changing though, madness or not! It's these wattage bazookas tbh

Soldato
How does everyone choose a new helmet? Mine (Kask Mojito in GB colours to honour Ian Stannard being National champ that year) is 5+ years old so I fancy a change / should replace. You can spend a lot of money on them and I don’t think aero really makes any difference at my paltry speeds. Just looks? They all pass the same EU safety tests it seems

I usually go into a bike shop, try some on and then buy whichever one I look least idiotic in. If it's light or aero then that's a bonus!

Soldato
I have a new bike
NXgQi846JZlofa0wLYt2FzyINAM8keztBa2UqSDbLDly4ujJnVMwa6kImykUiOxyaXSEDEaw1IIln_6pHvRKsT7wmDKEuGOg-FiGc6x4JleXDh7eVcQv3ahuVtHSjciRw24YI9LPGqd1sTQLyC3g5aYn3I0vWzbOn7f2uV5IJv-pKkOeoxoJY0ASlHn97lYWV8P68LobozuRu91WM7vIqzSGkPeTttdPhJav6xU6Bt3b86rcjJLWsFjfS4wCYDALrq_axHPxJx3fT80jzcLVlLpg8Rp8rvJIag4iOyFKHyMeO3fNa1hNSFTQy5A3lpuZ5E8m6T4eShAnHhJWVzRWNEHYLU1R7AleEic04u_vxbYzU6zk3vQ2fir5FtlIas20xhZ7e28BqrfOSdVThcNyBcHntjEk6MHjb-hkLG-hdHjZhyZNsy4ANOnW_qJkXmQIbfNgHGu_EoqhWLue2MhPkTued5DiIAYjX4XVZLes2wxDf1oyrJoV04zPV1GwKP96Zuzs97relnfvxn-SvilIX8FhBmRHRRXEm8OFM22ktbK373CMQDLd2pF69ZnjRIhdpduDl204nzZhfD0XuT9kgKcHIq61F5lXJBVLoCA=w330-h586-no

Soldato

Bikeradar did this article about a University tested helmets and rating them for safety:

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/news...h-concussion-risk-reduction-assessment-52514/

I usually get a choice of one size to fit my stupidly large head.

Back
Top Bottom