Need to access 169.254.1.1 from 172.16.10.1/24 - how?

Associate
Hi there

I've a device which has a static IP (by default) of 169.254.1.1. However the network is setup on 172.16.10.1/24.
Without changing the network setup (ip pools) how can I get access to 169.254.1.1?

Thank you

Soldato
169.254.x.x means it's not getting the IP from the DHCP so the computer doesn't have an IP.

Can't you give it a static IP with 172.16.10.x?

Man of Honour
Is that actually a static IP? 169.254 is usually assigned to a device itself because DHCP fail and I don't think any other system has a valid route to address it.

Associate
OP
In this case the manufactures of the device setup it up so the static IP address is 169.254.1.1 - this is what is giving me the issue because I know exactly what you're saying.
Its plugged into the network and I can see the MAC address fine; just can't get to the device to switch the IP address to DHCP.

Soldato
Get a-n-other wired device like a PC, give it a static IP in the same range as your other static device, plug them in together and your PC won't see your network but should see that static device. Log onto it, change it's network config to match your network and then revert your PC back too. You can't do this without having a wired device you can change the config on to match this new thing.

Soldato
In this case the manufactures of the device setup it up so the static IP address is 169.254.1.1 - this is what is giving me the issue because I know exactly what you're saying.
Its plugged into the network and I can see the MAC address fine; just can't get to the device to switch the IP address to DHCP.

the manufacture didnt set it the static IP 169.254.x.x. 169.254.x.x is reserved and will assign this IP range by the OS itself when it cannot obtain an IP from the DHCP server (router etc). if there is no DHCP on your network then you must give it a static IP manually. there is no other way

Associate
OP
Its a environment monitor; the manfacture's specs state it used 169.254.1.1 by default. Because im not at the location to physically connected a computer to its port, I need a way of adjusting the network to allow communication to that IP.
If thats even possible - to my knowledge it isn't but I'm hoping I'm wrong!

Soldato
Do you have access to a computer on site on the same network? If so you could try adding a secondary IP address in the range.

Zeroconf addresses aren't routable iirc.

Associate
You will need access to a pc on the same subnet as it, easiest way is to plug a pc into a dumb hub or something and ensure it is on the same range as your unit then reset it.
If you dont have physical access then... well that would depend on how your network is configured, the devices ect ...it may be possible to do something, or not.

Some software setup scans for mac addresses on the lan to configure first time, does it have that option?

Soldato
Its a environment monitor; the manfacture's specs state it used 169.254.1.1 by default. Because im not at the location to physically connected a computer to its port, I need a way of adjusting the network to allow communication to that IP.
If thats even possible - to my knowledge it isn't but I'm hoping I'm wrong!

ah i understand now why they used 169.254.x.x . the monitor need to be connect directly to a laptop/PC (wired) so the laptop/PC will also have 169.254.x.x then config the monitors network settings via the browser.

dont think there is another way......

(altought...is it possible to have 2 devices with 169.254.x.x to see each other?)

Associate
Just add an additional ip on an interface that is in the same network. So the machine you want to connect from would be e.g. 169.254.2.1 and your device might be 169.254.2.1.

169.254.x.x isn't exluded by the routing table so will work like any other IP range.

Back
Top Bottom