Mental health concerns in reality TV shows

Caporegime
It is interesting to see this issue being raised now, AFAIK plenty of the "entertainment" from reality shows for over a decade now seems to have been from tormenting/messing with the minds of the contestants.

I mean big brother has done it for years, dishing out punishments etc.. shows like pop idol or X factor, at least in the early stages, rely in part on laughing at rather odd/deluded individuals in between seeing a competent singer perform (sometimes the competent singers are introduced first by covering some sob story aspect of their lives too).

Now there is this show called Love Island, I've not watched it myself but I understand that the contestants are regularly wound up by the production crew by means of splitting up couples, introducing new cast members to cause drama and especially the introduction of an ex girlfriend or boyfriend. This isn't something new, it has apparently happened in previous seasons too (I've not watched those either but that is what I've been told). Yet now the producers have gone for their (apparently) usual trip of bringing on an ex and messing with an established couple and it has prompted a twitter **** storm and 2500 complaints to ofcom (thats almost as many as complained about the Brass Eye Paedogeddon episode!)

sYqAMNd.jpg

So are people more "woke" these days? Or are the general public being overly sensitive about what is ostensibly a game show with willing contestants who know what they're in for just doing what it has done on plenty of previous occasions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44683885

Ofcom has received more than 2,500 complaints over Sunday night's episode of Love Island.

The complaints are directly related to a scene where Dani Dyer is shown a misleading video of boyfriend Jack Fincham.

The couple were put in separate villas, after the boys and girls were split up as part of a plot twist.

It was revealed in the clip that an ex-partner of Fincham's was in the new villa with him.

Caporegime
I dont know about love island but I saw a filming of xfactor once during the show you are not alowed to do anything but cheer and be supportive (boo etc and you'll be thrown out).

All the shocked reactions etc we filmed befote the acts arrived on stage.

So any point to see the crowd reacting badly that's purely editing. The crowd always cheers

Soldato
What can you say really, we've seen it all before. I can vaguely remember watching maybe half an episode of the first big brother maybe in around 2000. It was a bit controversial back then with some politicians and churchmen voicing concerns etc.

Largely for the ratings just like politics is for the votes. I suppose some people see it as art or entertainment but it can be purposely cruel. A bit of a controlled Lord Of The Flies situtation. People can be nasty. Most of the contestants won't really register as all they will be thinking about is the potential fame and fortune through exposure.

Reality show contestants knew what they were signing up for. It's reality TV.

Nobody complained to LWT (London Weekend TV) when serious injuries happened in Gladiators did they? Remember Powerball? :D lol

Yet fragile minds flock in droves to the Twitterati when they feel offended by a reality show. Switch the bloody channel if you don't like what's on. Or just switch the TV off, switch your PC/Twitter off too while you're at it and pop down to the pub :)

Soldato
Remember Powerball?
worse happened on Noel Edmunds watch - RIP.

I saw a filming of xfactor once during the show you are not alowed to do anything but cheer and be supportive
maybe they should call all of this virtual reality TV ?
Do people pay, or are they payed to attend, all seems a big trumaneque enviornment to con the viewers, and at what point does it break broadcasting standards.
(following the X factor rigged/ignored votes issue)

Given the LBGT*** (self elected participants) government survey results today, seems surprising the limited spectrum permitted in Love Island.

Caporegime
OP
I dont know about love island but I saw a filming of xfactor once during the show you are not alowed to do anything but cheer and be supportive (boo etc and you'll be thrown out).

All the shocked reactions etc we filmed befote the acts arrived on stage.

So any point to see the crowd reacting badly that's purely editing. The crowd always cheers

I know someone who auditioned for the show - they do like to portray things as though the TV judges are burning the midnight oil trying to get through the massive queue of people etc.. when in reality she never even saw the celebrity judges but performed in front of some production staff. She's a competent singer but I guess didn't have what they were looking for, it seems that the vast majority of contestants will never be put in front of the TV judges - they narrow it down to the talented people with a chance and the crazy types who are just there to be laughed at with maybe a few mediocre people chucked in for filler.

I'm not sure if they've changed the format and now have people seen for the first time in front of a live audience? I'd assume the acts you were watching had already made it past the first filmed judging round too?

Title is misleading. Messing with people mentally, is a far cry from poor mental health.

the title isn't misleading - the story linked to specifically cites mental health concerns

Soldato
To be fair the amount of drama just reminds me of uni days.

People are idiots. Obviously the show creators deliberately doing it can seem a bit harsh but drama happens anyway so whatever.

Soldato
Reality show contestants knew what they were signing up for. It's reality TV.

Nobody complained to LWT (London Weekend TV) when serious injuries happened in Gladiators did they? Remember Powerball? :D lol

Yet fragile minds flock in droves to the Twitterati when they feel offended by a reality show. Switch the bloody channel if you don't like what's on. Or just switch the TV off, switch your PC/Twitter off too while you're at it and pop down to the pub :)

Yep.

They knew what they were in for, it'd be like a UFC fighter complaining he got injured....

Caporegime
I know someone who auditioned for the show - they do like to portray things as though the TV judges are burning the midnight oil trying to get through the massive queue of people etc.. when in reality she never even saw the celebrity judges but performed in front of some production staff. She's a competent singer but I guess didn't have what they were looking for, it seems that the vast majority of contestants will never be put in front of the TV judges - they narrow it down to the talented people with a chance and the crazy types who are just there to be laughed at with maybe a few mediocre people chucked in for filler.

I'm not sure if they've changed the format and now have people seen for the first time in front of a live audience? I'd assume the acts you were watching had already made it past the first filmed judging round too?

the title isn't misleading - the story linked to specifically cites mental health concerns

Yeah this was the later stages was at the o2 iirc

So the star judges full stage huge crowd etc

Caporegime
worse happened on Noel Edmunds watch - RIP.

maybe they should call all of this virtual reality TV ?
Do people pay, or are they payed to attend, all seems a big trumaneque enviornment to con the viewers, and at what point does it break broadcasting standards.
(following the X factor rigged/ignored votes issue)

Given the LBGT*** (self elected participants) government survey results today, seems surprising the limited spectrum permitted in Love Island.

I dont actually know a friend had tickets given by a friend who worked for the show so we went for a laugh was a decent day our the fun to see how a tv show is made and the acts were good

Soldato
You have to be mental to appear on this stuff.

People have lost the plot, head down and get on with life.

Its like Facebook just why in the world would you want to publish your life to people??

Also why are people interested in what you do?

Crazy times that's for sure.

Caporegime
You have to be mental to appear on this stuff.

People have lost the plot, head down and get on with life.

Its like Facebook just why in the world would you want to publish your life to people??

Also why are people interested in what you do?

Crazy times that's for sure.

For the people going into it it's a step itnot he lucrative presenter/guest role in tv.

We have so many shows that they are always needing "familiar faces" to host and star on everything.

Heck I think the receptionist from that tattoo fixers has her own show now.

Reality tv is basicsly one giant job interview/audition/apprenticeship for a role in tv now

Back
Top Bottom