Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
Sounds good, but I don't think I'll need the keyboard aspect.

How does it look and feel physically in comparison to the SW3?

I like the round style, but in in the photos I've seen it looks quite large/thick. How does it feel wearing it after moving from an SW3?
It's probably half the weight, not noticed the thickness as an issue as it's very comfortable and hardly even notice it.

Associate
It's probably half the weight, not noticed the thickness as an issue as it's very comfortable and hardly even notice it.

I've never noticed the weight of the SW3.

I suppose I'll just need to find somewhere with a Ticwatch to try it on.

But, as I'm happy with the SW3, I'll probably stick with it until the fabled new google watch appears...

Soldato
What's the advantage of a rotating bezel?

It's brilliant for interacting with the watch, and has so many advantages over a crown. As I said, crowns get pushed in accidentally if you flex your wrist which is easily done in the day to day. It's also better for dexterity, I've tried wearing my LG Watch Sport on my right wrist but I'm then using my weaker left hand to control it. It's not easy as the crown is on the right hand side of the watch.

Soldato
It's brilliant for interacting with the watch, and has so many advantages over a crown. As I said, crowns get pushed in accidentally if you flex your wrist which is easily done in the day to day. It's also better for dexterity, I've tried wearing my LG Watch Sport on my right wrist but I'm then using my weaker left hand to control it. It's not easy as the crown is on the right hand side of the watch.

I've never had your problems. I love my LG Watch Sport android pay\phones\GPS what's not to like?
As for a rotating bezel. I had one on my old S3. But after a few months there was to much side movement on the bezel.
The new lot of smart watches better bring something new to the table.

Soldato
I just got a ticwatch pro.

coming for a gear s3 frontier android wear doesn't feel as polished and screen is a bit dull on it!

other than that it's still early days but all these "freemium" watch faces are frustrating.

Soldato
I've never had your problems. I love my LG Watch Sport android pay\phones\GPS what's not to like?
As for a rotating bezel. I had one on my old S3. But after a few months there was to much side movement on the bezel.
The new lot of smart watches better bring something new to the table.

I can't see how you can't have had the crown push in issue unless you either wear your watch far up your left wrist, you wear it on the right wrist or you've disabled the assistant long press. Even simple movements of my wrist will trigger the Google Assistant to fire up. It's a complete and utter design flaw that should have been picked up in testing.

It's also useless for Sport, although in fairness to the product, all Wear OS devices are useless for sport because Google Fit is far too simple. I used to own a pair of Sony B-Trainer earphones and the software on them was absolutely fantastic - I could set target pace, times, calories or heart rate zones. It would even change the music to a track with more tempo if I wasn't in a heart rate zone. All the running apps such as Runkeeper, Runstastic & Strava are just very basic tracking apps.

The screen is terrible as it's the poor quality P-OLED stuff that LG put into the Pixel 2 XL, although it doesn't look as grainy since Wear OS went with pure black backgrounds over grey.

Soldato
Ticwatch pro is 10% off today only, £198 from £220.

Tempted, but must resist....:o

I'm tempted, but i use an iPhone and at the moment it seems to be advised against due to lack of compatibility. I do really like it though, which is a pain.

Going to try out this super cheap watch and see if i want to invest in a smartwatch, currently top of the list is the FitBit Versa, due to the aforementioned Ticwatch Pro + iPhone issue.

Associate
I just got a ticwatch pro.

coming for a gear s3 frontier android wear doesn't feel as polished and screen is a bit dull on it!

other than that it's still early days but all these "freemium" watch faces are frustrating.

Keep us updated. My Sony SW3 is on its last legs and the ticwatch pro looks very interesting

Soldato
Keep us updated. My Sony SW3 is on its last legs and the ticwatch pro looks very interesting

Sent it back. Way too laggy for a new smartwatch. The time it takes between LCD and oled display when working out is like 3-5 seconds and that's just silly. You also can't disable the screen completely and battery life seems to be a day/day and a half max.

Got a Huawei watch 2 now for a bargain price of £150 and I'm much happier with it.

Soldato
Sent it back. Way too laggy for a new smartwatch. The time it takes between LCD and oled display when working out is like 3-5 seconds and that's just silly. You also can't disable the screen completely and battery life seems to be a day/day and a half max.

Got a Huawei watch 2 now for a bargain price of £150 and I'm much happier with it.

FYI the Ticwatch Pro uses old hardware (sort of stuff found in 2016 smartwatches) apparently to a couple of reviews i've seen. This may be the reason for the lag and the price.

Soldato
I very much like my gear s3! Tizen OS in my opinion is much more polished than wear OS! The only bad thing is the lack of apps, plenty of watch faces tho.

I've never used Tizen, but I've heard good things - not that I would be surprised about it being more polished than WearOS, Google's efforts in wearables is just about as bad as their efforts in TV & Tablets.

My main gripe with Tizen is the fact I'm a Google Play music user and that's obviously not available on the Tizen platform. I might even be tempted to swap to Spotify but I believe it doesn't run as a standalone app on Tizen watches and needs to be paired with a phone? Plus I use GPM with Android Auto in my car all the time.

Soldato
I can't see how you can't have had the crown push in issue unless you either wear your watch far up your left wrist, you wear it on the right wrist or you've disabled the assistant long press. Even simple movements of my wrist will trigger the Google Assistant to fire up. It's a complete and utter design flaw that should have been picked up in testing.

It's also useless for Sport, although in fairness to the product, all Wear OS devices are useless for sport because Google Fit is far too simple. I used to own a pair of Sony B-Trainer earphones and the software on them was absolutely fantastic - I could set target pace, times, calories or heart rate zones. It would even change the music to a track with more tempo if I wasn't in a heart rate zone. All the running apps such as Runkeeper, Runstastic & Strava are just very basic tracking apps.

The screen is terrible as it's the poor quality P-OLED stuff that LG put into the Pixel 2 XL, although it doesn't look as grainy since Wear OS went with pure black backgrounds over grey.

I wear my watch on my left wrist. As said, never had your problem. The screen to me is great. I use watchmaker\Mylondon for watch faces
and they look great(so people have told me).
I have Google assistant activation on the top button. I've had most of the smart watches and I like the LG watch sport the best.
When the new watches come out I hope they have GPS\Sim card space\Android Pay\NFC ect.

Soldato
Sold my S3 Frontier recently for £170. Tizen is miles better than 'WearOS' at any rate and was my primary factor for buying the watch in the first place. Only two reasons made me sell it really.

1. To effectively utilise a smartwatch you need to wear it almost all the time and my other 6 watches were being ignored as a result. You either wear a smartwatch permanently or you rotate between it and others, which seems a bit rubbish.
2. Tizen's in built message handling API is just a pile of junk. The way it handles incoming notifications, especially whatsapp is very poor and needs major addressing. Once you have more than one notification, flicking through them is a guessing game and I repeatedly lost. It just wasn't consistent enough over different message apps (whatsapp, sms, email).

Aside from these two factors imo it is easily the best smartwatch around. My battery life was insane at 3-4 days having purchased it in Feb 2018.

Soldato
Sold my S3 Frontier recently for £170. Tizen is miles better than 'WearOS' at any rate and was my primary factor for buying the watch in the first place. Only two reasons made me sell it really.

1. To effectively utilise a smartwatch you need to wear it almost all the time and my other 6 watches were being ignored as a result. You either wear a smartwatch permanently or you rotate between it and others, which seems a bit rubbish.
2. Tizen's in built message handling API is just a pile of junk. The way it handles incoming notifications, especially whatsapp is very poor and needs major addressing. Once you have more than one notification, flicking through them is a guessing game and I repeatedly lost. It just wasn't consistent enough over different message apps (whatsapp, sms, email).

Aside from these two factors imo it is easily the best smartwatch around. My battery life was insane at 3-4 days having purchased it in Feb 2018.
Was thinking of selling my gear S3 and buying the gear sport

As I really could do with a more waterproof smart watch now it summer time and am spending a lot more time in the water...;)

Back
Top Bottom