Drill Rap - innocent or guilty?

Soldato
I dont see the problem as long as they continue to kill each other and it doesnt spill out into non gang related people.

Its like a form of natural selection/population controll

Soldato
If these people want to drill. Then send them to the Royal Marines. That will sort them out :)

Maybe bring back national service.

This really. If we had national service, then these kids wouldn't have the free time to be making really bad rap videos pretending to be gangsters while making gun shapes with their fingers going pew pew. lol

In the end, this what it boils down to, no employment and poverty which connects to crime and drugs.

If we had National Service with a Military or Civil service like what the France are bringing back, this would improve things plus with the added benefit that the Police should go in there and crack down really hard on them.

Soldato
No worse content wise than some old D-block songs I have heard. Sound like they are desperately trying to be american. Let them get on with it. As above, natural selection.

Soldato
I used to be in to a lot of American rap music growing up. Followed it from the early days and saw it break in to the UK music charts (it became accepted music here before it was in the US).

I still like some from the older groups. But when I think back I wonder how the songs weren't illegal back then. I mean, why is it acceptable to be singing a threat about killing cops? That is a crime in any country to be issuing illegal threats. It's as though the US allowed the rappers to get away with it as probably the (white) establishment thought it would keep them happy as long as the threats were never carried out. Looking back though I blame a lot of the problems in the black community today in the US on the gangster culture that rap music promoted.

But getting back to these guys, we don't have the same ethnic problems on the scale of the US. I don't understand why people are allowed to sing threats and it not be taken seriously, especially as we don't have freedom of speech like the US does. Promoting negativety only breeds more negativety.

Ironically in the US a lot of the rap music rapidly improved and moved away from the very negative elements.

Soldato
OP
There’s been shockingly violent lyrics in music long before drill. Some Eminem / D12 stuff is really horrible - some of the lines on ‘Fight Music’ stand out to me. Likewise, a lot of what I will broadly categorise at rock music is violent too - lyrics by the likes of Cannibal Corpse are pretty much unspeakable.

In all cases it’s arguably irresponsible but unless it’s legitimate threats against specific groups of people I think freedom of speech is an excellent defence.

Ha!

I'm glad you brought up Cannibal Corpse! I used to be a huge fan of them [went to see them in Manchester once, crowd surfing over and over, one of the best nights ever was hilarious :D] they're actually quite a fun bunch, we met them after the gig outside and talked about crazy horror movies and had pictures taken :D

The one aggravating factor that I've noticed with a lot of Drill rap, is that it does in fact single out and threaten violence against other gangs and their members, that's kinda of why I started the thread - as to me there is a clear difference between naughty lyrics, and lyrics which actually target or threaten people;

Caporegime
armed police interrupted the filming of a drill video and it has been labeled as "embarrassing"

- there were reports of a firearm being present
- the participants were wearing balaclavas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44982560

Apparently they should have just sent an unarmed officer over to politely ask questions - I'm sure that would have been safe had there been a firearm...

Pacman thinks that they should have been treated as though they were shooting a film - and that the Met's response was out of proportion.

"For them to bring the police helicopter, so many armed police and aim at these kids when nothing's happened? That's where the problem lies.

"If they were normal officers who came over and didn't aim any firearms at them and spoke to them with reason, and explained what was happening in a way that everyone could understand, it would've been fine.

"But the way that it was handled was all wrong."

this Pacman character seemingly didn't bother applying for permission to film/didn't think it might be an idea to let people know in advance that a group wearing balaclavas would gathered in the park

his youtube channel is full of these videos where a group of youths pose in front of a camera as though they're holding guns.. making gun's with their fingers etc.. pretending they're holding a rifle or shotgun etc.. should he really be all that surprised that a member of the public thought they might have seen a gun and called the police

Soldato
Before I start I will say I do enjoy some of the drill music out there.

But banning it is never going to work, it’s just an outlet. A lot of them will lie in there lyrics just to make music others won’t. They aren’t doing these things to make music they are doing them for other reasons. The music is just an after thought.

The original ban I know was a guy called Scribz, police banned him from performing shows and making music, so he just put a mask on calls himself LD and never takes it off so there is no solid evidence. He sometimes references it in his music but obvisouly that can’t really be taken as evidence (of course it can but not gore something like this)

It shocks me that people can think music can be a stimulant to such violence and then the solution is to ban it!

Also from reading this thread I think a lot of people serisouly underestimate just how bad the “British gangster” scene is.

Caporegime
It shocks me that people can think music can be a stimulant to such violence and then the solution is to ban it!

Also from reading this thread I think a lot of people serisouly underestimate just how bad the “British gangster” scene is.

these last two parts seem a bit conflicted, AFAIK the recent banning has been as a result of tracks/videos were people are called out or "dissed" etc.. that then becomes a bit of a different argument from the one of trying to make a link between violent videos/gang culture and resulting violence/crime.

I think perhaps calling each other out on social media etc... via these videos and then a link being made resulting attacks, murders etc.. perhaps does have a bit more to it.

Soldato
I dont see the problem as long as they continue to kill each other and it doesnt spill out into non gang related people.

Its like a form of natural selection/population controll

That is pretty much how people in the USA feel

There is loads of BS about firearm related homicides in the USA, but the brutal truth is that around 70% of all US firearm related homicides are Black people killing other Black people.

In the US, stay away from neighborhoods with Black people and you are no more likley to get shot than you are in SW Surrey! (Despite the fact that Guns are more popular than i-Phones)

:/

Back
Top Bottom