• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
Installed properly the waterblock today.
While benching the temps does not exceed 45C even heavily overclocked at 50% fan speed the Predator 360. Same applies to HBM ram sitting 45C max also.
My only temp that cannot get is the hotspot sensor. It escalates to 106C, however the is nothing around the card that is warm. Neither the backplate. Some help welcome

FYI on Air the temps were hitting 70C for GPU and 80s for HBM.

Side effects. Because of low temps the card is hitting power limits before temps. It tries to push the GPU to 1800 where before at same settings was operating at 1727. Consequently it hits power limit somewhere and stops.

My low voltage settings went out of the window also. At previous 900mv the power consumption now is 100W higher, as is the speed.
I will drop all way down to 800mv later this week and experiment.

Using the default "power save" mode, the performance is higher than before (~15%) as same power envelop (176W).

As i will continue experimenting will update.

Associate
Some pictures from the Nitro+ when installed the Bykski waterblock. Used Thermal Grizzly Pad 8 (1.5mm) 1 strip of 100mm is enough and Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut.
9lE89Wh.jpg

You got lucky. Molded die. :)
My RX Vega is about to get some special treatment.
TRyay_zpstua83wgx.jpg

Soldato
You got lucky. Molded die. :)
My RX Vega is about to get some special treatment.
TRyay_zpstua83wgx.jpg

Initially I was afraid that this was the case, because my HBM temps were +15/+20 of what the core with the stock cooler.
However that's not the case by re-applying liquid metal. Both stock cooler and watercooler, the temps are +1/+3C higher than the core only.
Also today tamed the hotspot temps. Which normally should be +20 over the GPU temp, but it was +50/+60 over the GPU with the block.
I used the X wrench (or what ever is called) Nitro provides, and used the long screws the waterblock supplied, with the springs removed from the short screws.
That really put a lot of pressure to the cooler to sit better and had to re-arrange the limited long screws also to around VRM area leaving half the holes empty.

Temps are even better now, with the hotspot not going over +10 over the GPU, and somehow coil whine gone completely.
Which I always knew is one of the screws that is too tight over the some electric chip.
Since the method of loosening the screws near the 8-pin connectors area, always was the way I resolved the coil whine on all my previous cards.

Btw I am jealous of your X399, but I will have to wait until later in the year for CPU upgrade.

Last edited:
Associate
Have the reference cards been stopped now? I am looking to get a crossfire setup and I have a reference Vega 64 but it looks like I can't get another one?

I have my Vega water cooled with an EK water block and I would like the second card to also be water cooled hence wanting another reference card.

Soldato
Have the reference cards been stopped now? I am looking to get a crossfire setup and I have a reference Vega 64 but it looks like I can't get another one?

I have my Vega water cooled with an EK water block and I would like the second card to also be water cooled hence wanting another reference card.

New cards yes they are not made any more. Custom AIB only.
Sapphire Nitro + has waterblock made by Bykski (the one used above), and Strix has also made by EK & Bykski.

I can tell you from personal experience, the Bykski is superb block and only cost me £86 including postage from China.

And they are going to be my primary waterblock company from now on.

Soldato

I wouldn't bother with crossfire these days. No longer worth it.

Rup

Rup

Associate
Now discovered, the AIB 56's now have sk hynix hbm2 which doesnt clock nearly as high as ref 56 samsung hbm :(
AIB 64's are still samsung.

Back
Top Bottom