From Plasma to OLED thoughts and discussions.

Caporegime
I'm still on my trusty 50" Panasonic Plasma however I've been niggling to get a larger TV and maybe ditch my projector setup altogether...

Who still has a Plasma?

Have you upgraded to an OLED from Plasma ?

I'm looking at an LG 65" C8

Cheers

Soldato
I'm hanging onto my Plasma (TX-P42GT30) until it dies.

I'd like an OLED but would want something a bit smaller that what's currently available. I hate it when TVs totally dominate the room.

Soldato
I went from a Panasonic 42 st50 to a LG 65 B7.
The image is spectacular, the only issue is panel uniformity.
Plasma's have no banding, no tinting, no uniformity issues really at all. Unlike OLED and all other TV's out right now.
Its a step backwards.
This is my TV's uniformity right now (B7)
Still debating on whether to send it back or not as the banding can be scene in certain scenes (low light)
The red tint is invisible to my eyes.

This what it was like 8hours ago, its cleared up, but it will back tomorrow when the automatic cycle kicks in

It varies quite allot....keeps changing.

It is worth it as long as you get a decent one.

It will be difficult to go back to my Plasma, but I may have too as I can't put up with it...for £2000 I expect near perfection.
6c5cjzqzv

Last edited:
Caporegime
Went from a panasonic plasma to a LG OLED e7.

Short answer..... I wouldn't go back to anything non OLED now.

The IQ is superior than anything else out there right now and makes using any LCD displays horrible. Yes panel uniformity isn't as good but it is very rare and I mean RARE when you notice these issues with normal content and in normal viewing conditions with normal settings and when you do..... it is generally only for a few seconds, if that.... and the rest of the OLED advantages more than make up for the panel uniformity, at least for me. LCD and plasma have their own issues and for myself are far worse than OLED's downfalls.

4k - meh, unless it is true 4k, it is very hard to see the difference I find, this is with a 55" @ 7/8 feet
HDR - stunning, second biggest factor after OLED panel tech. for improving IQ, it really adds a lot of depth to the image too, especially when films have obviously been made for HDR in terms of how scenes are shot etc. Plenty of dolby vision and HDR content out there too

Soldato
I went from a Panasonic 42 st50 to a LG 65 B7.
The image is spectacular, the only issue is panel uniformity.
Plasma's have no banding, no tinting, no uniformity issues really at all. Unlike OLED and all other TV's out right now.
Its a step backwards.
This is my TV's uniformity right now (B7)
Still debating on whether to send it back or not as the banding can be scene in certain scenes (low light)
The red tint is invisible to my eyes.

This what it was like 8hours ago, its cleared up, but it will back tomorrow when the automatic cycle kicks in

It varies quite allot....keeps changing.

It is worth it as long as you get a decent one.

It will be difficult to go back to my Plasma, but I may have too as I can't put up with it...for £2000 I expect near perfection.
6c5cjzqzv
I have the 55 b6. If I remember the larger model of the 2016 range also suffered lack of uniformity. Shame.

I couldn't handle that what I'm seeing in your pic. Not for the money we pay.

Thankfully less of an issue on the 55 and it's as big as my lounge would allow without it dominating the room.

Caporegime
Whats your banding like for curiosity sake?
The whole "normal viewing conditions" varies from user to user. Normal conditions to me is pitch black room lol.

These were about 7 months ago, I'll have to take a few recent photos just to see how it has fared since then. Although from having had 3 OLEDs (including this), I've found the photos don't always represent what you will see in real life i.e. my first one, the c7 looked the worst in photos, however, it was by far the best because you couldn't see any of the issues at all, not even in the torture tests/scenes.

eHY8N38.jpg

zZnWMEZ.jpg

These are also over exposed quite a bit so highlight the "issues" a lot more i.e. the "smudges" you see in the 5% aren't visible to the eye at all.

It's noticeable in 1080P blu ray of oblivion (iirc, the 51 or 55 minute mark with Tom in the smoke, scene only lasts 2 seconds though), 1080P blu ray of cabin in the woods (when the girl enters the basement for the first time, however, the UHD version is flawless) and marco polo (when the girl is riding the horse down the hill with the sky in the background), although marco polo is terrible quality as it is..... Blade runner UHD near the end showed some vertical banding but again, personally, not enough nor for long enough to distract/ruin the rest of the scene/film.

But yes, for the money these cost, it should be a lot better for QC.

My normal conditions varies, from very low lit room most of the time to a pitch black room at night. Settings are technicolor preset with an oled light setting of 40 (for HDR modes, oled light setting is at 100% though)

The one thing I will say that is somewhat a disadvantage of OLED is that you need to feed the best quality content to get the best from OLED otherwise artefacts and issues with the source/material you are viewing are more visible than what they would be on say a LCD or even plasma display. With LCD, a lot of things are hidden/masked because of LCDs downfalls but, this can actually help give the perception of a better image in some ways.

Madvr with MPC HC is very good for helping with this though as you have controls to tweak things like banding, ringing, colour and luma noise etc. etc.

Associate
I went from a Plasma to an OLED, one of the best decisions I ever made. The OLED panel is stunning, I think it's the logical upgrade from a Plasma. The C8 looks like a very very good panel.

Soldato
I have 2 Panasonic plasmas, a 42G20 and a 50 G30 and also an OLED 55b7. The plasmas are both excellent but the b7 is in a different league given the right source. :cool:

Soldato
never liked my samsung plasma found i was always playing with the settings and never got it to look like how i wanted, then went for a 49" lg 3d that i was more than happy with but with 3d now looking dead decided to go large, picked up a 65" lg oled b7 and very pleased with it.

Soldato
Panny plasma to lg oled and zero regrets here.
I loved my plasma but oled is just so much better in the colour department.

4k is whatever but hdr/dv is the main draw to be honest.

It's well worth the investment over saying spending half as much for a rather poor 4k led that won't compare to a plasma at all.

Caporegime
Thanks for posting.
Your banding is so much better :/
The pictures I posted look pretty close to what I see.
Dreading sending another back, the retailer won't let me replace it again (understandable lol)

haha yeah, it is a right PITA exchanging TVs.

If it is really bothering you in normal content with your viewing conditions then there's not much choice though. I was tempted to exchange mine at the start in the hope to get a better one but didn't want to play the lottery again and possibly get a worse one :/

EDIT:

Yours is pretty bad though, I think it is safe to say vertical banding is almost a given to some extent but it is very rare to see horizontal banding too so I would say your next one is more likely to be free of horizontal banding.

Back
Top Bottom