Garlic Puree

Soldato
Does anyone own a mini chopper/processor and could tell me if it's any good for making garlic/ginger/curry pastes in relatively small quantities e.g. a single bulb of garlic.

There's lot of models available that look like they might do the job, but I'm not sure if the blades are low enough in the machine to puree smaller quantities.

Soldato
OP
Get one of those hand crusher.

http://www.kuhnrikonshop.com/product/epicurean-garlic-press

Used this for years best press ever. Works in a busy kitchen all staff use it. Add small bit of salt and work it amazing paste.

I’m really hoping for something that means I don’t have to get my hands smelly. Also something I can use for ginger and curry pastes which I don’t think a hand press can do?

We buy Ginger / Garlic paste in pots....

I’ve tried the stuff in pots/tubes and for some reason I find it never quite packs the same punch as freshly pressed.

Soldato
OP
I've got a normal type one that i think you're looking for, but it's not great for small quantities as like you say the blades don't get to the bottom/the edges.

Could you not make in batches and freeze?

Is it something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-MMR0...&qid=1534858053&sr=8-13&keywords=mini+chopper

For £28 I thought what the hell and ordered to give it a try. I'll report back :)

I was thinking if the blades aren't quite low enough I might be able to use a small amount of water or oil to top it up...

Soldato
I’m really hoping for something that means I don’t have to get my hands smelly.
We use a garlic press too. Have done for years. Just pop a clove in whole (no need to remove skin), crush it into the pan, then use the tip of a knife to pull the skin out. Voila, no garlic hands. Easy.

Soldato
(can you) could you have put ginger in a garlic press anyway. ?

I Always grate garlics on a smallish grater - no waste, and, as long as you have dry cool hands, and rinse under cold water afterwards no smell.
It oxidises fast, so do it as I need it ... without preservatives how does bought garlic paste survive.

Have never tried the traditional, mix with pinch of salt and crush with knife edge on chopping block ... seems that would create a mess.

Soldato
OP
We use a garlic press too. Have done for years. Just pop a clove in whole (no need to remove skin), crush it into the pan, then use the tip of a knife to pull the skin out. Voila, no garlic hands. Easy.

I’m regularly crushing 5-10 cloves at a time though. It’s difficult not to get a fair amount on you fingers. I’ve tried most things, steel soap etc which help but I still get that garlicy smell in the morning when washing my hair, or in meeting 3 days later.

Soldato
You can buy cubes of frozen garlic or ginger from some supermarkets, handy to keep in the freezer but I still tend to use fresh more often as it always seems fresher/more pungent.

Back
Top Bottom