Are Muslims allowed student loans?

Associate
Christians aren't supposed to lend to earn interest either.

Exodus 22:24 (25)—If thou lend money to any of My people, even to the poor with thee, thou shalt not be to him as a creditor; neither shall ye lay upon him interest.

Caporegime
I genuinely had no idea that Muslims couldn't take/give loans with interest. Guess every day is still a school day.

Me neither, luckily we have Haby up there kepping us informed
She should get the loan. If God is real, God will forgive her surely? I mean sure, she is as far a she knows, knowingly betraying her religion. But on the other hand, it's not like she is committing murder. If this is a serious concern then as someone else suggested, you should probably consult a local Imam. They'll know better then us.

If God was real Shirley he could've just given her an education? Or the money?

Caporegime

Exodus 22:24 (25)—If thou lend money to any of My people, even to the poor with thee, thou shalt not be to him as a creditor; neither shall ye lay upon him interest.

That would be jews.

Christians aren't moses's peoples and didn t exist when that was written as Christ hadn't been born yet

Man of Honour

Old Testament. Christians get to pick and choose from that part, apparently on whatever basis they like. Besides, it just says that Jews aren't allowed to charge other Jews interest. It doesn't say that people can't take out loans with interest, nor that it's forbidden to loan with interest to people who aren't Jews. Always assuming that the translation is accurate, which it might or might not be. People inserted vowels and punctuation into text with neither. Can anyone really be sure they got every vowel and every piece of punctuation correct? That's before the problems inherent with translating between different languages and different times and different cultures.

But it's all moot for Christians anyway, as they pick and choose from the OT. With cheeseburgers being the example that comes to my mind. The OT forbids mixing meat and dairy, but I've never met a Christian who cares about that and I can't recall meeting one who even knows that rule is in their bible. Along with a multitude of others they ignore and probably aren't even aware of.

I've even known of a Christian who decided that having sex with people other than their partner was OK because they weren't married so it wasn't adultery. If Woolworth did as much pick 'n' mix as most theists, it would still be in business.

Man of Honour

A lot of translations also word this as to lending to the poor as in not gaining from charitable acts, etc.

Associate
Uni is overrated anyway. None of the billionaires ever bothered going, they donate as much as possible to them to keep people beneath them ;)

This is so true in this day and age, even the big four accounting firms offer apprenticeships. Most of them bothered going, it’s just few of them actually finished including Steve Jobs, whilst a flawed character, was a genius and probably one of the greatest pioneers in our history and shows us that you only learn to be a robot in todays Universities which leave young people ill equipped for the modern world.

His commencement speech at Stanford remains one of the greatest lessons for young people growing up in an uncertain world. Here is a link if you have 15 minutes to spare:

https://www.ted.com/talks/steve_jobs_how_to_live_before_you_die

Caporegime
Old Testament. Christians get to pick and choose from that part, apparently on whatever basis they like. Besides, it just says that Jews aren't allowed to charge other Jews interest. It doesn't say that people can't take out loans with interest, nor that it's forbidden to loan with interest to people who aren't Jews. Always assuming that the translation is accurate, which it might or might not be. People inserted vowels and punctuation into text with neither. Can anyone really be sure they got every vowel and every piece of punctuation correct? That's before the problems inherent with translating between different languages and different times and different cultures.

But it's all moot for Christians anyway, as they pick and choose from the OT. With cheeseburgers being the example that comes to my mind. The OT forbids mixing meat and dairy, but I've never met a Christian who cares about that and I can't recall meeting one who even knows that rule is in their bible. Along with a multitude of others they ignore and probably aren't even aware of.

I've even known of a Christian who decided that having sex with people other than their partner was OK because they weren't married so it wasn't adultery. If Woolworth did as much pick 'n' mix as most theists, it would still be in business.

It's not picking and choosing pretty much all of the ot laws like Leviticus are explicitly referring to Jews.

The funny thing is when Christians think they apply to them.

There's only one commandment ever given by Christ

"Love one another as i have loved you"

Which means to have a divine love for each other not the previous human love.

Ie forgiveness turning the other cheek and not judging each other.

Something Christians near universally fail at.

Man of Honour
The funny thing is when Christians think they apply to them.

That said as I've posted before something that is intrinsically abhorrent to God doesn't suddenly become not so just because Jesus didn't command it. Also I see none of the love and light talked about by Jesus in any of God's work - when you boil it down everything is a means to an end and not for man's benefit.

Soldato
after reading this thread im glad I don't let fairy tales decide what I can wear / eat / live / ect.

** not a dig at any one person , but until I see any proof ill continue to refer to religion as a fairly tale regardless of which religion it is. **

Soldato

Christians were not, That is why Jews became the money lenders within the Christian world (And why they were hated for it)

I am not sure when When this particular rule was relaxed, but by that time the Jewish banking industry was well established.

Inter-faith loans across all three Abrahamic religions is probably OK really. I would have thought that, Unless they are interpreting the rules particularly strictly (As some might) A Muslim should have no ethical issues with either borrowing from, or lending too, with interest, a non-Muslim

Soldato
This is so true in this day and age, even the big four accounting firms offer apprenticeships. Most of them bothered going, it’s just few of them actually finished including Steve Jobs, whilst a flawed character, was a genius and probably one of the greatest pioneers in our history....

So genius he thought "alternative therapy" for cancer was a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom