Keto/Low Carb Diet

Caporegime
Reading it a bit deeper, it quire clearly states:

In the ARIC cohort and in meta-analysis, increased consumption of animal-based protein and fat instead of carbohydrate was associated with a significant increase in all-cause mortality (p<0·0001; table 3). Alternatively, increased consumption of plant-based protein and fat instead of carbohydrate was associated with a significant decrease in all-cause mortality

However, in our analysis, when carbohydrate is substituted for higher animal fat or protein intake it is associated with both higher cardiovascular and non-cardiovascular death, whereas plant-based substitutions are associated with both lower cardiovascular and non-cardiovascular death, indicating that food source could be an important consideration for both causes of mortality.

So low carb, and getting the majority of your protein and fats from plants improved mortality compared to even the mid-range carb diet that includes meat.

Soldato
that constituted a lot of fat and protein which your body just does not need in such quantities..

LOL! You do realize that our muscles and cells are composed largely of proteins and fats? Our brains are made up of mainly fats & cholesterol, why then should we not need proteins/fats in high quantities in our diets? The high carb/low fat diet dogma died years ago, Ancel Keys lipid hypothesis has been debunked countless times over, it has been shown that he lied and cherry picked data to meet his agenda. Once again we are being subjected to ********, poorly conducted studies and are expected to take them at face value, vegan/vegetarian dogma designed to dumb down the masses and turn us all into subservient/obedient little robots who drop dead or succumb to degenerative disease before we get chance to draw our pensions. We should be eating animal proteins and fats from animals that have been allowed to eat their natural diets, wild caught fish, game, whole dairy (preferably raw). The diet that you and the authors of these ******** studies are recommending is the direct opposite of what makes us healthy and strong. Well carry on eating your slave food! (sugars/grains). At least it means there will be more quality protein and fat to go around for us unbrainwashed few!

Caporegime
Reading it a bit deeper, it quire clearly states:

So low carb, and getting the majority of your protein and fats from plants improved mortality compared to even the mid-range carb diet that includes meat.

It states replacing carbohydrates with animal proteins and fats is the main issue.the data doesn't suggest high carbohydrates diets are the issue itslef, merely diets that are low in vegetables.

It is quite clear that a diet of coco pops and cookies is not going to be healthy. Substituting coco pops for broccoli will inevitably lead to a healthier life outcome.

Caporegime
LOL! You do realize that our muscles and cells are composed largely of proteins and fats? Our brains are made up of mainly fats & cholesterol, why then should we not need proteins/fats in high quantities in our diets? The high carb/low fat diet dogma died years ago, Ancel Keys lipid hypothesis has been debunked countless times over, it has been shown that he lied and cherry picked data to meet his agenda. Once again we are being subjected to ********, poorly conducted studies and are expected to take them at face value, vegan/vegetarian dogma designed to dumb down the masses and turn us all into subservient/obedient little robots who drop dead or succumb to degenerative disease before we get chance to draw our pensions. We should be eating animal proteins and fats from animals that have been allowed to eat their natural diets, wild caught fish, game, whole dairy (preferably raw). The diet that you and the authors of these ******** studies are recommending is the direct opposite of what makes us healthy and strong. Well carry on eating your slave food! (sugars/grains). At least it means there will be more quality protein and fat to go around for us unbrainwashed few!

:rolleyes: Just complete junk

Associate
I'm following a few LCHF/Keto groups on FB, and when it comes to vegetables the most common advice/opinion is to aim to eat 500 grams of vegetables a day, and 10 different vegetables a week. A lot of people also change mashed potatoes, rice and pasta for cauliflower, broccoli and for example courgettes. So they will make "potato"-salad with cauliflower or make mashed cauliflower/broccoli. And make "spaghetti" out of courgettes.

Soldato
:rolleyes: Just complete junk

Ha ha, I'm glad you think so. Please just stick to your cheap, mass produced sugar laden, pre-diabetic, brain starving/muscle wasting diet! Leave the nutrient dense, wholesome foods for those of us who care about our health/longevity.

I do urge you to do some thorough research though on the subject you are commenting on (which it's painfully obvious in this instance that you haven't) before you start calling people out as being 'stupid' for their personal dietary choices. You come across as though you are just another spoon fed/brainwashed by mass media, closed minded drone.

Last edited:
Soldato
It states replacing carbohydrates with animal proteins and fats is the main issue.the data doesn't suggest high carbohydrates diets are the issue itslef, merely diets that are low in vegetables.

It is quite clear that a diet of coco pops and cookies is not going to be healthy. Substituting coco pops for broccoli will inevitably lead to a healthier life outcome.

Indeed. A cursory look at the Blue Zone population diets, countries with higher general overall health, or tribes like the Tsimane where nearly three-quarters of their calories come from carbohydrates shows that the bulk of your diet should be based around a variety of whole foods. Keto/low carb cultists always make it an either/or thing where if you're not on keto you must be on a SAD type diet where you're inhaling refined foods or barely scraping the RDA for EAAs/EFAs.

Soldato
^
Not accurate in my case, I don't believe there is any requirement to be in nutritional ketosis or eat low carb to be healthy. Personally I much prefer the way I feel in keto, I experience much more stable energy, less hunger, improved sleep, improved concentration/focus, good athletic performance, easy to build muscle (if calories increased above baseline), easier to lose body fat and maintain muscle when in a calorie deficit. NB: (these are things I've noticed, I'm not saying it'll be the same for everyone). The 'Keto' diet label is annoying, it's not even a diet, the choice you are making is how you want your metabolism to run, once decided you manipulate your food choices around that, you can eat from all food groups and it's not restrictive.

Blue zone data is misleading, far too many variables to attribute longevity to diet alone, these areas generally have superior environmental conditions, people are outside & generally more active, higher frequency of sun exposure, less pollutants in water/food, better community spirit/integration (people are happier), I doubt they're living longer just 'cos they eat a few sweet potatoes.

Soldato
I thought I'd give this a go and it sounded simple enough. I eat way way way to much sugar so needed to change my diet.

Bloody hell its hard. Never know what to have for breakfast. Once you've exhausted eggs, bacon, sausage, or yogurt combos, there nothing and omg I am hungry constantly. All I can think about is sugar. Worst thing is I've only been doing it for 3 days.

Lol

Caporegime
I'm still faffing about with breakfasts after a month doing it. I was happy enough with eggs every morning but I think I'd rather have something like a whey protein powder mixed in with a probiotic drink (as I don't seem to be getting enough protein at the moment) and an avocado with peanut butter. Then move my eggs to lunch with some salad.

Last night I was starving but looking at Cronometer (website to track all my food) I was way out of line - half the amount of protein and twice as much fat. It'll probably take another couple of months to get everything worked out. But I'm receiving so many comments about how I look better, my skin is better, etc. that I can't give up now even though last week I nearly did.

Soldato
I thought I'd give this a go and it sounded simple enough. I eat way way way to much sugar so needed to change my diet.

Bloody hell its hard. Never know what to have for breakfast. Once you've exhausted eggs, bacon, sausage, or yogurt combos, there nothing and omg I am hungry constantly. All I can think about is sugar. Worst thing is I've only been doing it for 3 days.

Lol

3 days is nothing. You'll get over it I promise!

Breakfast for me is usually some salami slices, some kind of lean meat (chicken/ham slices) and some strong cheddar. Oh and a litre of water!

Stick with it! :)

Soldato
What do you eat for the other meals?

Depends on a few things - chiefly if I'm organised or not. Usually not! :p

Lunches:

At work: (30 min break so gotta be quick!)
Chicken Salad with full fat mayo
Pulled Ham salad with full fat mayo
Sandwich topper (chicken + bacon in mayo) + some lean meat.

At home:
Stir fry (chicken/babycorn/green beans/soy sauce)
'Fajitas' (chicken/onion/peppers, lots of peppers, some spice mix)
Omlette (Usually pastrami)

Dinners:

Steak + salad/veg (tonight is Brocolli + Cauliflower! :D)
Pork Belly Slices + veg
Sausages
Chicken wrapped in bacon w/ cheese on top, veg on the side.
Curry with Cauliflower rice
Fathead dough pizza (usually a treat, often on weigh in day!)
Weekends often get a roast + veg. Make gravy usuing Xantham Gum (free from section of your supermarket)

You could also have fish (i don't like it!)

I don't eat a massive variety of foods but equally I don't eat anything like the amounts I used to before.

Associate
I picked up 3 cookbooks about Keto at The Works bookshop in town the other day. Going to read through them and try kick off with keto in the next few weeks. Got a bit too much belly at the moment that I want to get rid off, even though I don't mind the actual weight..

Soldato

Lol
I can't help but feel you're being pretty harsh on yourself going from a high carb/sugar diet straight to a keto level of carbs in one step, you should IMO take it much slower. My advice would be to try and workout how many grams of carbs you were previously eating and start by reducing that figure by approx 50 grams, run like that for a week or so and then reduce by a further 50, and so on until you're at a level which is low enough to produce a state of nutritional ketosis. Keto sticks aren't a reliable method of measuring, so if you're serious about being in keto then buy a blood ketone meter and some test strips, you won't always need to use it but initially it's useful.

Dropping carbs in one fell swoop is going to drop insulin levels rapidly which will cause the kidneys to excrete a ton of water and with it electrolytes, you can largely mitigate this by going slower and gradually getting your body used to the lower level of glucose. The electrolyte loss is inevitable though so you'll need to use a high quality sea salt such as Celtic, add a pinch of it to your water and use it on your meals.

Bottom line is the body needs a certain amount of glucose each day, brain and kidneys for instance can't function on ketones alone, we can make the required glucose from proteins and even fats via gluconeogenesis, although we are always doing this to some extent whether in keto or not, dropping carbs out of the diet will put a much greater demand on these processes, so initially it's somewhat of a shock to the system.

Start by dropping the junk sugars and carbs, biscuits, sweets, cakes etc, keep some starches/fruits in there for a while, you may find that just by doing this you can drop the required weight and get to your desired body composition. Keto isn't the be all end all, you really don't need it to lose weight. Tracking is key, people don't like to hear this because initially it can seem painstaking but once you get used to it, it becomes easy. Find out your baseline of calories to maintain weight using one of the online calculators and eat according to that. Just eating 100 to 200 calories under your TDEE will cause a gradual but significant weight loss.

Caporegime
I wish you'd posted that ^^ a couple of weeks ago. :D Dropping carbs gradually seems a very good idea instead of going from 200g+ to <20g like I did. I think I'm through the worst of it now after almost two months. I do seem to last longer without getting hungry and the weight is dropping steadily at around 1lb a week now. I would like it to go faster but I also don't want horrible saggy skin left behind so this is a good compromise.

I'm eating more vegetables than I've ever done in my life which can only be a good thing. I know you say keto isn't the be all and end all but for me it's a way of definitely getting a healthier diet. Even if I kept carbs low-ish, I'd be back eating things like beans on toast for dinner and Cinnamon Grahams for breakfast. All which aren't super bad but there is nothing particularly nutritious about them. Today I'll be having yogurt and flaxseeds for breakfast and then avocado/eggs/salad for dinner. A marked contrast.

Soldato
I can't help but feel you're being pretty harsh on yourself going from a high carb/sugar diet straight to a keto level of

Your not wrong. I failed miserably.
I felt terrible tbh, I was eating plate of food twice the size I would have with some carbs, 2 steak a lot chicken, tons of greens and after eating all that. I felt like I had been starved for a day.
I managed about 5 days of this until I cracked and had some carbs and booze at the weekend.
Instead I have tried to lower the levels gradually. I've stopped buying any sweets etc and where possible I am swapping out rice and potato for a salad. Still very hard.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I was eating plate of food twice the size I would have with some carbs, 2 steak a lot chicken, tons of greens and after eating all that.

Were you eating any fat?

Here's a useful 5-page guide from Dr Eric Westman who is one of the world leaders in LCHF.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-content/2014/10/no_sugar_no_starch_diet.pdf

I've been kind of doing my own thing and am losing weight but looking at that doc, the yogurt I have for breakfast is too carby. Looking at my charts, I've been eating about 30g net carbs each day, total is in the region of 50g. So I think I've been very lucky. Back to eggs for breakfast then!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom