8086 help needed with memory on Aorus Ultimate Gaming

Associate
Hi,
A customer just sent me the parts for two machines - all purchased at OC :)

I don't want to overclock anything
(yet)

The relevant bits:

i7 8086K S-spec @4000MHz
Gigabyte Aorus Ultimate Gaming z370
Corsair Vengeance DOMINATOR Platinum 2x16GB @3466

I built the first machine last night and have not slept since ;)

My only problem -

The RAM will not run anywhere but 2133. I set it up, go through the whole "The system has experienced a boot failure ... ", set it up and then boot override so it goes straight to the OS (which, I mistakenly believed 'forced' my custom settings but, it seems, just 'restores' the basic speed before booting) where AIDA tells me NO! - 2133!!!! Stupid human.

I have followed guides and searched forums but this is the first place for me to display my failure/ignorance.

Yes. I reset to defaults. Every time I failed.
Yes. I cleared the CMOS. Regularly.
Yes I tried the other pair of slots.
Yes I tried the other pair of sticks.
Yes. I tried the other pair of sticks in both pairs of slots.
Permutate any 2 from the above and I have tried it :)

Thanks in advance.

Associate
OP
Yeah, sorry, I should have said. I tried everything in the bios.

With/without the XMP profile the board 'finds' (which is exactly what the memory says on its very fancy tin - 3466MHz @ 16-16-18-36) - same old same old. Manually set every (documented) parameter also. Followed Gigabyte's own overclocking doc for these boards so as to disable any 'problem' settings in frequency and voltage areas.

Then reset to defaults again lol. I have been banging my head for 19 hours straight now.

I am over 60 and built my first machine back in the Eighties - an 8086 funnily enough. Had a jumper block 20x20 pairs and every jumper was the wrong way round. No help back then. Took me 3 days to get it running. Then introducing a 5Mb hard drive to it sent me down a path I have traveled since ...

debug
G=C800:5

Soldato
The ram may be rated to 3466mhz but the board might not like it .. Just a thought .. Have you tried manually setting the ram to say 3000mhz with its standard timings?

The board should support that speed though..
Just to clarify, you've tried with the board completely at standard settings and only enable XMP?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
How many sticks are you running 2 or 4?

I take it 4 but you still can't get XMP to work with 2?

2x16

Yeah - turned on, set defaults, save and reboot, enable XMP, boot, fail, install OS, set defaults, manual setup of RAM. Fail, lol. Fiddle with hardware, set defaults, fiddle with bios - rinse/repeat

I don't know whether to be annoyed that this m/board will not allow at least one boot with my settings after warning me - eg: enter bios, check parameters haven't changed yet, boot override - very quick post and boot but ... it wipes my setup of the memory freq/voltage/timings but leaves anything else I alter (so far fan timings and gigabyte's own overclock settings.

Soldato
Might be because it's 16gb sticks rather than 8gb.

Have you tried with 1 stick and have you tried a lower speed like 3000mhz?

Failing that it might be worth memtesting the ram to ensure it's not faulty..

Associate
OP
Might be because it's 16gb sticks rather than 8gb.

Have you tried with 1 stick and have you tried a lower speed like 3000mhz?

Failing that it might be worth memtesting the ram to ensure it's not faulty..

Thanks. I did try one stick at first just to see what was happening. I have tried 2200MHz and up just for symmetry 8) (usually in 200MHz increments)

XMP, 3200hz speed and bump up ram voltage and boot voltage to 1.45v - leave timings

I might try that now thanks

Soldato
yeah the board is a pain infact all gigabyte boards are pains in the aholes lol when it comes to memory support or OC memory supporting of dims.

try setting XMP only then go into DIM voltage and set 1.47v that should lock in 1.45v in windows
then go to cpu advanced voltage and set IO @1.23v and sa @1.23v

then F10 and reboot.

it should boot up at XMP. 3466.

Soldato
I appreciate the op is having difficulty but my gigabyte boards have been fine with XMP and cpu overclocking so that's not really a fair comment..

Soldato
I appreciate the op is having difficulty but my gigabyte boards have been fine with XMP and cpu overclocking so that's not really a fair comment..

You would know what i mean if you had really fast memory and looked at the compare shots of countless memory OC settings and tunings when it comes to XMP and MEMORY OC the asus Apex and possibly others are in a league of there own compared to GIGABYTE boards..

and looking @ your memorys rated XMP 3000 i see why you have no issues.

Soldato
You would know what i mean if you had really fast memory and looked at the compare shots of countless memory OC settings and tunings when it comes to XMP and MEMORY OC the asus Apex and possibly others are in a league of there own compared to GIGABYTE boards..

and looking @ your memorys rated XMP 3000 i see why you have no issues.

I have OP ram, as well as yours and we'll as Vulcan etc etc .
Ram 4000hz kit worked XMP on Ulta/k3 - z370n/Aorus 7 pushed to 4100hz and Apex/Strix with 8700k at 5.1 .

*Apex would be useless to you as you have 4 sticks so not sure why you want it ... Hero board for 4 sticks if Asus . If asrock then Taichi, anything lower call 4 dimms are capped it seems *

3600hz dominator and Vulcan 3200 also work on all board XMP, Dom could hit 4000hz but all would only manage 3600hz on i5 8400 no matter what !
This is with 2 sticks , 4 sticks like yourself , would expect slightly less speeds , 4*8gb Dom's would only do 3600hz .
XMP is great if you want to click and forget, if your buying expensive ram you dial the times in manually .
CL10 3200hz or CL18 4100hz - anything in-between isn't as fast (though you'd struggle to tell the difference with basic gaming and editing )

Soldato
I have OP ram, as well as yours and we'll as Vulcan etc etc .
Ram 4000hz kit worked XMP on Ulta/k3 - z370n/Aorus 7 pushed to 4100hz and Apex/Strix with 8700k at 5.1 .

*Apex would be useless to you as you have 4 sticks so not sure why you want it ... Hero board for 4 sticks if Asus . If asrock then Taichi, anything lower call 4 dimms are capped it seems *

3600hz dominator and Vulcan 3200 also work on all board XMP, Dom could hit 4000hz but all would only manage 3600hz on i5 8400 no matter what !
This is with 2 sticks , 4 sticks like yourself , would expect slightly less speeds , 4*8gb Dom's would only do 3600hz .
XMP is great if you want to click and forget, if your buying expensive ram you dial the times in manually .
CL10 3200hz or CL18 4100hz - anything in-between isn't as fast (though you'd struggle to tell the difference with basic gaming and editing )

Some positive points you made, but from what i have seen with my Gaming 7 F7 bios. 4 dim 4000 kits are limited @3600 CL18 and even those with XMP enabled does not work right.
benchmarks are crippled speeds are more than half crippled its like they broke something...
i have tested by manually dialing in also and 4000mhz cl17 is the best i can get with 4 dims. though looking at others on the apex using 4 dims there dialing in 4133 @cl16 and even getting T1 command rates and quite a few getting 4500mhz also this is on APEX boards and there XMPS dial in correctly at the correct speeds without issues.

though IMC does play a big part in memory OC but from the stuff/tweaks i have seen on overclock,net correspond to what im saying is that Gigabyte have no clue how to optimize memory compared to asus.

Associate
OP
Some positive points you made, but from what i have seen with my Gaming 7 F7 bios. 4 dim 4000 kits are limited @3600 CL18 and even those with XMP enabled does not work right.
benchmarks are crippled speeds are more than half crippled its like they broke something...

Yeah - just tried the voltages (I am not comfortable but in the interest of sanity) and 'Memory Read' test in aida (latest)

@3066MHz - 13068

@2133MHz - 32586

identical timings - bios changes: xmp off and back to stock voltages = double the bench

annoying

Back
Top Bottom