• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD CPU CHOICE?

Associate
im wanting to build a gaming PC and decided to go with AMD, but don't know which ryzen 7 series CPU to go for, the PC will be used mainly for a little content creation,gaming,streaming etc, been looking at the 2700x but wondering if that will be overkill, plus if I can save a little money can put it into something else so comment with your advice, which ryzen 7 series CPU I should go for or which would be best suited :)

Soldato
If Ryzen is what you want to go with then the 2600x would be better bang for your buck at the time of writing.. Gaming performance is close to identical right now to the 2700x and it still performs rather well in content creation task.. i dont know what you mean by streaming? are you streaming to twitch etc or are you streaming videos on the web?

Soldato
Associate
Look, a 2700X goes for around 280 these days, and 2700 for 250.
After that, as you see OCUK has some great pricing for the 1800X, 1700X and 1700 which you can reduce the cost.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/processors/amd/amd-socket-am4?sPage=1&sSort=3

However, what you shouldn't cheapen out is the motherboard which in my honest opinion should be a good X470, as it will last longer.

Do you have any DDR4 ram already?

Yeah i agree get a decent x470 am4 motherboard also amd will support the am4 socket until 2020 so you might want to upgrade the processor by then.

Associate
OP
Well I've chosen the taichi ultimate x470 motherboard as it has the wireless wifi,and I'm deciding on parts panos but for RAM inside the build I've chosen corsair 2x8 16gb RGB 3000mhz as I'm going for a close to all white build but the board will downclock the memory to 2933mhz, and I'll be streaming fortnite etc phixsator and other PC games

Associate
Depends on your budget. Ive owned both a 1700x and currently using a 2700x. Both are impressive CPUs for the money.
If you go for the 2700x get a decent cooler on it, enable Precision Boost Overdrive in the BIOS and never have to worry about overclocking again. Mine peaks at 4.35ghz, more than happy with it. Performs really well in games and with heavy video editing.

Associate
OP
Depends on your budget. Ive owned both a 1700x and currently using a 2700x. Both are impressive CPUs for the money.
If you go for the 2700x get a decent cooler on it, enable Precision Boost Overdrive in the BIOS and never have to worry about overclocking again. Mine peaks at 4.35ghz, more than happy with it. Performs really well in games and with heavy video editing.
I was struggling with a graphics card to pick, wanted to wait for the new 20 series to be released so I could see benchmark results, but think the 1080ti SC black like you said seems to have good benchmark results and decent overclocking, the CPU is chosen now, but it's finding the Graphics card at a decent price,cheapest 1 I found was £669 and that's off ******, but I'll keep looking out for the price, the case I've already picked I'm going for the Evolv X gives me a good amount of storage

Associate
OP
Case-Phanteks Evolv X
Motherboard-taichi ultimate AM4
CPU-ryzen 7 2700x
GPU-1080ti SC Black Edition/to be decided
PSU-Corsair RM1000i
RAM-Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8gb 3000mhz DDR4
SSD-Samsung 860 EVO 1tb
HDD-2x2tb seagate 7200rpm
COOLER-to be decided
That's the system that I've gone for, minus the gpu and cooler as I'm yet to decide, give me some advice of what you think

Soldato
Case-Phanteks Evolv X
CPU-ryzen 7 2700x
PSU-Corsair RM1000i
SSD-Samsung 860 EVO 1tb
COOLER-to be decided
That's the system that I've gone for, minus the gpu and cooler as I'm yet to decide, give me some advice of what you think

The only thing that I would revisit is your RAM. Given the high end build, faster RAM will benefit Ryzen.

Soldato
Case-Phanteks Evolv X
CPU-ryzen 7 2700x
PSU-Corsair RM1000i
SSD-Samsung 860 EVO 1tb
COOLER-to be decided

you need better ram as the Ryzen benefits a lot from faster and low latency ram. On my 1800X had some gskil ripjaws 3600C16 and worked out of the box last year without issue. And bought this ram early 2016 for dofferent system

Associate
OP
you need better ram as the Ryzen benefits a lot from faster and low latency ram. On my 1800X had some gskil ripjaws 3600C16 and worked out of the box last year without issue. And bought this ram early 2016 for dofferent system
My board says max (3466)+(OC) don't know if that means that the board supports 3466 + it can be overclocked

Associate
Yea was looking at the same RAM possibly or G.Skill Trident Z 16GB Kit DDR4 3200 RAM. RAM is the only think that concerns me in the Ryzen build ...it has to be b-die not Hynix to get those native 3200 and they are little more expensive (sometime quite a bit more :p)

Went with Ryzen 2600 ...hard to resist with the £143 price tag ...thanks :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom