• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters
Associate
Think I want the XS again lmao.
I just refuse to pay £1000+ for it, not worth it.
Gold looks nice not tacky like I found last years silver chrome model.

Got a 7 128GB which I experienced better battery life I’d be more inclined to keep it until next year.
Don’t want to drop in storage so I’m “forced” to jump to 256GB, since Apple didn’t offer a 128 option yet did on the XR. Which I know why...But annoying to say the least, especially when it should be at base considering the price. I definitely don’t need 256, which is overkill, I feel that 64GB might leave me with buyers remorse somewhere along the line. Especially since you can’t expand iPhone storage.

And even with the Very discount still looking at over 1000 for it .

Decisions decisions.

Soldato
I’ve cancelled my XS Max. I’ll stick with the 8 Plus for a while and maybe pick up a pre-owned XS in a couple of months.

Really disappointed that the XS Max isn’t making the most of all that screen.

Soldato
Probably a smart move looking at the depreciation of the X from last year.

Maybe they'll fix the large screen issues eventually, but they should have been addressed and anticipated them from the start. Even on the normal X when they released it last year, they completely buggered up the information line of icons at the top of the screen because of the notch, I'm constantly missing calls because I've set the phone to do not disturb, yet they've hidden the moon icon in the control center (another **** up, moving that to the top right and removing the swipable one handed card access.

The screen of the X has so much more screen real estate compared to the home button version of the 7 and 8, yet they're hiding icons away behind swipes.

Why do I have to wait 3 seconds when waking my screen to see what my timer status is because it's in the exact same position of the charge percentage and they can only display one piece of information there at the same time and choose to show the charge percentage first, even when a timer is active?

I'm starting to rant now and I feel a little bad about it in a thread where people are excited about upgrading. I love my iphone in general, but there's some serious UI and UX issues with the switch to a home buttonless phone though that do perpetually bug me and should either have never slipped through the cracks, or been addressed in the 12 months since the original update.

fez

fez

Caporegime
It is a little strange that they haven't made better use of the Max screen size. Hopefully that will come in the next minor release. It looks like they have pretty much just scaled the whole UI up for the max so you get almost nothing extra on the screen. At least app developers will be able to improve this even if apple don't.

Soldato
Some knickers in a twist here, take a breath people. As said a few posts back:

- it doesn't have a landscape home screen due to the notch and Face ID only working in portrait (I don't care about this)
- it DOES have the landscape split view stuff the Plus phones did (as well the XS R - which is one reason I didn't get the X last year - see below for more on that)
- it's up to developers to make use of the larger screen in 3rd party apps: the XS M (I don't wanna call it Max lol) is an entirely new screen size, just like the X was last year, so it doesn't surprise me that on release apps won't be utilising it properly
- as for Apple's own apps in terms of information displayed, some may think it's a waste of time, but it's always worth sending Apple feedback for it here

Also worth pointing out that the XR has the same resolution in 'points' as the XS M. so they will both show exactly the same amount of stuff, except the XR won't be as sharp. This means that it's actually the XS that's going to be the odd one out so apps are more likely to be optimised better for the larger displays, since it's likely the pricing of the R means it'll be a big seller and more people will be using the 'Plus' UI.

Commissario
OP
If I were buying this, I'd be going for the Max version. I'm getting to the age now where sometimes I'm squinting at the screen trying to read it. Slightly larger text would be a bonus :D

Soldato
Some knickers in a twist here, take a breath people. As said a few posts back:

- as for Apple's own apps in terms of information displayed, some may think it's a waste of time, but it's always worth sending Apple feedback for it here

My knickers are in a twist because I'm genuinely frustrated of some of the UI issues over the switch to home buttonless phone, from iOS11, and now to 12, where many of the issues still haven't been fixed.

I have actually filed feedback forms with Apple about these issues, to be fair, it seems they might have sorted one of them, the whole emoji toggle button moving, which other people were complaining about in the iOS12 thread. If they've done what I think they've done though (not got an old phone to compare it to now that I've upgraded this evening), I think that may have been an improvement.

Issues like the do not disturb moon icon being hidden because of the notch screws me over multiple times a week though. It's so bloody frustrating, and completely inexcusable considering the increase in screen real estate...for icons and other stuff! Not just a pretty background image.

Soldato
Cancelled my MAX order. :cool:

Feel quite relieved after reading about this screen issue, that would drive me nuts just having a blown up UI. Pointless.

My 7+ (and iPad Pro) feels so darn good on ios12 it’s like having a new phone again for FREE! :D

Soldato
Why are people bothered by the screen issue? Assuming it’s not a hw limitation then apps will update in no time...why is this a surprise? It was the same with the x...the 5 the 6 etc.

Soldato
Why are people bothered by the screen issue? Assuming it’s not a hw limitation then apps will update in no time...why is this a surprise? It was the same with the x...the 5 the 6 etc.

Agreed, seems a bit of and odd reason to cancel. Although you would have thought Apple would have updated the UI for iOS12.

Maybe they will allow for more apps per row in 12.1?

Soldato
The screen "issue" is down to app developers, nothing to do the resolution of the screen.

Hell, Facebook still haven't (and I guess never will) updated their app to support the 12.9" iPad. Also the Sky+ app and quite a few others...

Soldato
I’m still having mine. I’m going from a 7 so it’s deffo an upgrade. Plus the battery on mine is pretty poor - charging at least twice if not 3 times a day.

Battery is easily sorted for £25 with apple, something I’ll do for my 7+ before the year is up. That will keep me going for another year no problem.

Personally it doesn’t seem a upgrade at all, hopefully they will get it right next year.

I’d rather have a new 2018 iPad Pro if spending the money.

Soldato
The screen "issue" is down to app developers, nothing to do the resolution of the screen.

Hell, Facebook still haven't (and I guess never will) updated their app to support the 12.9" iPad. Also the Sky+ app and quite a few others...

I think the in case of the iPads it's because the vast majority of people use the smaller ones currently, so the cost:benefit ratio of bothering to write different versions of the app is low.

With the iPhone at least, as mentioned the XS R is lower resolution but same scale/points display at the Max so assuming the mid-range phone sells well there's a lot more incentive to have a good-looking app which will serve the majority of users. There will no doubt be the early-adopter penalty though and this won't happen overnight.

Back
Top Bottom