Do Cherry MX Brown switches feel the same as Reds apart from the 'bump'?

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

I'm trying to find a decent mechanical keyboard and I'm partially to Blues & Blacks but I've seen a couple of good deals with MX Browns, my main concern is that Browns are listed as being the same actuation as Reds and I hate Reds! far too light for me, does anyone have any experience with the above switches?

Man of Honour
Depends a bit on keyboard to keyboard really on the feel but as above if reds are too light then that probably won't change with browns.

Associate
For what it's worth, my first mechanical board was MX Red and I hated it. I would rest on WASD in game and start causing movement. I switched over to MX Browns and that problem went away. Whilst it has the same force to accuate, the accuation point is much lower on Browns I think.

Soldato
Thanks guys, just as I thought, think I'll stick to Blacks or Blues :)
MX Brown actually has quite similar early travel force to MX black.
That gives some feel/resistance making it lot easier to avoid accidental presses from resting fingers on keys.
Blue actually has lower initial travel force:
https://i.imgur.com/i9U0BKJ.png
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/mechanical-keyboard-guide#best

Non-linear switches can basically combine features of different linear switches to one:
Some feel/resistance before actuation/operating point and light comfortable keeping key pressed down.
(Romer-G again has bumb starting instantly in initial travel before actuation point at 1,5mm)

I had reds, I now have browns. Now when my fingers caress red switches they recoil in disgust...
You should try MX "Speed"...
Same very light linear force curve of MX red, but very short 1,2mm travel to actuation point.
No doubt speedy way for accidental key presses to anyone wanting some feel from pressing keys!

Back
Top Bottom