Removing Thunderflies from your monitor screen

Soldato
i have one currently, luckily in my oldest worstist monitor, i tried tapping it to get it to drop which got it from the middle to the bottom 1/5 but i think i may have squashed it a bit as it wont move any more :(

Associate
Hi guys ,

I see this thread is old but still semi active?

I have an issue with a small bug in my samsung 40inch 4k, tried the suction method , tapping shaking , everything to no avail,

Been told, like many that samsung do not cover this issue under warranty,

So i ask, what is the anatomy of a modern led tv? , does the front glass you can touch / clean come away when tv is taken appart, the bug has left a black mark on my screen which is very annoying so much that i would be willing to attempt removal of this than live with it or if i had to pay someone to clean it ?

Cheers

Associate
I had one of these for the first time ever over the summer in a Samsung 4K TV. It was alive and luckily for me, smacking the top of the frame a few times made the bug fall all the way down and it never came back.

Associate
Hi Dean

I had two bugs in my acer 27 inch and like you tried everything.

You can use youtube to give you a tutorial on how to take apart from the screen. It basically involves breaking the seal to remove the bracket then breaking the seal to lift the glass from the tft. I managed it and removed the bugs but despite being careful when I put the monitor back together I had damaged the top left of the monitor so it was no longer usable. If it's a case of you wont use the tv anymore then try it as it can work but you have to accept you run a big risk of breaking it as the LED parts are so delicate.

Associate
I am going to enquire about having someone do this for me, obviously at a cost, if you were to see the mark you would think i am insane but it is annoying and all i see now

I have had several tv / monitors and have never experienced this before but by googling the issue it seems more common than first i thought, so i cant justify a new tv to end up with the same problem.

Hopefully someone be willing to take it to bits for me and not charge the earth

Associate
I am going to enquire about having someone do this for me, obviously at a cost, if you were to see the mark you would think i am insane
No one who has suffered this problem thinks you are insane. I was lucky enough to get a swap out done under warranty for mine but the new panel developed dead pixels so I went from one extreme to another :mad:

Associate
Yes, very frustrating as i sit pretty close to the tv which i use mainly for gaming, i have been in contact with co op electrical who i purchased the tv from and they are escalating the issue with samsung, i do fear that this will be a lengthy boring ordeal with the tv being passed around ,

I have been qouted £40 by a guy who is pretty confindent in being able to remove the "insect" but this would void any warranty left on the tv , i am very tempted to go buy myself another one as i am sick of searching for a resolution to this issue but it is way too close to christmas !!!

Associate
Yes, very frustrating as i sit pretty close to the tv which i use mainly for gaming, i have been in contact with co op electrical who i purchased the tv from and they are escalating the issue with samsung, i do fear that this will be a lengthy boring ordeal with the tv being passed around ,

I have been qouted £40 by a guy who is pretty confindent in being able to remove the "insect" but this would void any warranty left on the tv , i am very tempted to go buy myself another one as i am sick of searching for a resolution to this issue but it is way too close to christmas !!!
I feel the same way, cant afford to replace this at the moment so will live with it until I see a decent monitor in the sales.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
OP
No one who has suffered this problem thinks you are insane. I was lucky enough to get a swap out done under warranty for mine but the new panel developed dead pixels so I went from one extreme to another :mad:
IMO it's a design defect and if I get another that I can't remove I will be returning it as if they are dead pixels.

Associate
Just a stab in the dark here , surely the "bugs" are not actually in the glass panel yhat displays the image but behind it , between the plastic sheets / diffusers , i would imagine that the lcd black glass screen is a totally sealed unit , i have seen a video on you tube that shows a guy break a tv down and he romoves the glass panel and the a further x4 sheets of plastic before getting to the LED lights ?

Associate
UPDATE,

After many, many emails i have finally got somewhere, samsung have more than likely got sick of hearing from me and have a appointed Martin Dawes of Doncaster to replace the lcd panel which they have done this morning,

My advice is that if your tv is still under warranty, keep knocking on wood until you get an answer, i have purchased a new tv due to my doubts with getting the one with the so called thuderbug fixed but i have a brand new tv now which i can keep as spare or sell on !

Do not give in to any excuse from the supplier or the manufacturer if the tv is under warranty !

Associate
Really glad you got your TV sorted in the end Dean. The exact same thing happened to my Samsung TV this summer but I have around 14 of the bast**ds in there!!!! Like you I've tried all the usual methods to try and get them to drop to the bottom of the screen but nothing worked. Unfortunately my TV is quite old now, its a 2013 model so is just outside its warranty period (bought from John Lewis who do a 5 year guarantee). I have contacted JL just in case they can do something but I'm not holding my breath so will probably end up buying a new TV. My only fear is if we have another super hot summer next year the same thing will happen again! :(

Associate
This may sound a little silly and maybe slightly OTT but i have been reading up on what repels bugs / insects and apparently they hate the scent of lemon grass sooo ..... i have a lemongrass reed diffuser close to my TV lol.. better than nothing i suppose.. and it smells nice

Associate
It's a bit extreme but you can cover vents with anti thrip netting - still allows airflow but makes it much less likely they'll get in. Of course you can go all-in and also soak it in permethrin ;)
You can't 100% remove the chance but they're going for the backlight no just every nook and cranny.

Associate
Ah, the downsides of the return of summer. I've currently got 5 thunderbugs walking around underneath my screen membrane :-\

Is there a monitor with any seals or anything to prevent thunderbug infestation?

Soldato
Does anyone at R&D level even consider this problem an issue, do you think?

I'm amazed its still happening, especially on never units. I was with friend only last week as he took receipt of a 55" 4k TV, within hours he said there were flies behind the panel... He's returned it now.

Back
Top Bottom