WWI Centenary, 11th November 2018

Man of Honour
4eRpPQr.jpg

This Sunday, 11th November at 11:00hrs, marks the centenary of the end of Great War and the signing of the Armistice which ended four brutal years, and the guns finally fell silent.

I was wondering what people were doing to commemorate or mark this special event.

Personally, I'm going to the Chelmsford War memorial to take some reportage images of the ceremonies whilst also paying my respects. I feel this is something I should do.

http://chelmsfordwarmemorial.co.uk/first-world-war/chelmsford/index.html

I can well recommend this programme which was aired last night, which shows an areal view of the bloody horror and annihilation on both sides.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vyrzh

To those that made the ultimate sacrifice - We thank you.

Soldato
Attending the local memorial where I live on Sunday. I have been wearing a poppy for a week but hardly seen anyone else with one this year. There are plenty places to get them and the cadets were out in force over the weekend. It's is the most important anniversary of our lifetime yet you would hardly know. There seemed to be far more going on in 2014 than this year.

Soldato
I'll be at the commemoration at the local War Memorial in the morning then in the afternoon we'll be popping over to Smethwick to view the new memorial that was opened and dedicated yesterday to all the Sikh servicemen who gave their lives. I'll have the hangover from hell as it's my birthday on the 10th but considering what they went through it's the least I can do.

Then also during the following week we'll pop up the road to National Arboretum, partially to view my dad's plaque and partially for a bit of personal reflection and contemplation.

Caporegime
On the day, probably just wearing a poppy and observing the minutes silence as per most years.

Will head over to the Tower of London this week and take a look at the display they’ve put on.

Man of Honour
The 11th hour
of the 11th day
of the 11th month

This has been an annual part of my life for as long as I can remember. My son is singing for his school at an old peoples home in commemoration tomorrow. I was shocked to realise today that it's the 100th anniversary of the end of the first world war. I was also shocked to realise that in two years time I will have been born closer to WW1 than to the present day.

I give my thanks to all those that gave their lives and I wear my poppy with gratitude and respect. Thank you.

Soldato
Welsh poet, Hedd Wyn (Ellis Evans), Royal Welsh Fusiliers, killed in Passchendale. His story is well known in Wales but I recommend it to anyone not familiar with it. My great grandfather and his brother served in the same battalion as Ellis. My great grandfather survived the war but his brother did not.

Caporegime
Why wouldn't it be?
Eight million horses and countless mules and donkeys died in the First World War.
Will be my last post as don't want to ruin this thread too much :p

Every year in the UK approximately 2.6 million cattle, 10 million pigs, 14.5 million sheep and lambs, 80 million fish and 950 million birds are slaughtered for human consumption.

So because of that it strikes me as odd to have a separate commemoration for a few million horses that died in WW1.

Also we slaughtered bison in the US at an astonishing rate.

So again, why the remembrance service for the horses? Were they being heroic? Can a horse be heroic? Were they sacrificing themselves for our freedom? Or were they being horses dying because we put them in harm's way... and if so why don't we commemorate the cattle, pigs, bison that we slaughter yearly...

Back
Top Bottom