Fan Splitter Query (Gelid CA-PWM-03)

Associate
Hi all,

Quick query:

Using a mATX motherboard that only has 1 chassis fan header but need to connect 3x chassis fans to this header.

Going to use the Gelid solution (PWM 1-TO-4 SPLITTER - CA-PWM-03).

The fans use only 0.2 amps. The motherboard header supports 1 amp in total.

Can I just connect all 3 fans via the fan connectors and not bother with the molex power connector?

Or do I actually have to connect the molex power connector?

Just I'd rather not have all 3 fans running at full speed all the time.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you sure? Images that return when I search show that the 4 pin connector only has two positions populated, which can only be tach and PWM. The Molex, therefore must carry the power.

Provided you plug in 4 pin fans they'll all run at whatever PWM duty cycle dictates.

3 pin fans will run at max speed.

You'd need a 3 pin splitter and lose any PWM control.

Or use a PWM to 3 pin converter.

Soldato
Are you sure? Images that return when I search show that the 4 pin connector only has two positions populated, which can only be tach and PWM. The Molex, therefore must carry the power.

Provided you plug in 4 pin fans they'll all run at whatever PWM duty cycle dictates.

3 pin fans will run at max speed.

You'd need a 3 pin splitter and lose any PWM control.

Or use a PWM to 3 pin converter.
Good point - OP says chassis fans which implies 3-pin, but if they're using DC voltage control that will probably stop working

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

I got directly in touch with Gelid to clarify this. Included my initial message and their reply below:

Dear Sir / Madam,

I would like some clarification on how this product works.

Using a mATX motherboard (Asus Prime B350M-K) that only has 1 chassis fan header but I need to connect 3x chassis fans to this header. The fans use only 0.2 amps. The motherboard header supports 1 amp in total. Can I just connect all 3 fans via the fan connectors and not bother with the molex power connector? Or do I actually have to connect the molex power connector? Just I'd rather not have all 3 fans running at full speed all the time if they can be all controlled by PWM.

Thank you for clarification.
Kind Regards,

REPLY:

Yes you can attached all three fans, they will spin at the same speed, if connected to a PWM header, otherwise they will all spin at full speed

GELID TEAM

Soldato
REPLY:

Yes you can attached all three fans, they will spin at the same speed, if connected to a PWM header, otherwise they will all spin at full speed

GELID TEAM

Did they actually answer your question though?

Anyway correct information is already provided above.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your question was actually about the Molex connection, they didn't answer that, and we'd already discussed that topic and brought it to conclusion.

If you are happy though, then that's all that matters.

Associate
OP
Good point. I'm under the impression I do not need to connect the molex cable; just the 3 fans and the PWM fan header to the motherboard.

You do need to connect the molex cable. My apologies; I missed what was meant by tach and pwm wires above. The power is directly drawn from the PSU as stated on the web site which freddie highlighted above.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom