Clearing out large files in Windows 7

Capodecina
Soldato
I am trying to make some space on someone's Windows 7 system. I started by looking for "Huge" files and cleared out lots of rubbish. I wondered what the following files were and whether I can safely delete any or all of them?
  • DataStore.edb C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution (1.2 GB)
  • NetFX_Full.mzz C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\SetupCache (200 MB)
  • nuimbers@lettersea_blobs.bin C:\Windows\winsxs (190 MB)
  • ed4d7 C:\Windows (185 MB)
  • Data1 C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Setup (167MB)
Also . . .
  • What are the 1.4GB of files in the (hidden) directory "Installer" under C:\Windows\. Many of the sub-directory names start with "MSI" and end up with ".tmp-"?
  • What are the various MRT files?
  • What are all the AMD64 sub-directories?
  • How do I clean up the WinSXS (Component Store) folder in Windows 7?

Dear merciful God, Windows does like disk space,why can't it "clear up"? . . .

Soldato
Have you run the Windows Disk Cleanup (with or without the 'Clean up system files' option)?

Unless you're desperate it's not worth worrying about folders that only contain a few hundred Megabytes of files.

The questions you've asked can mostly be answered by typing them into Google verbatim or typing something like 'can I delete <insert filename here>'.

Soldato
As above, run Disk Cleanup. But the files and folders in SoftwareDistribution can be safely deleted, however you should stop the Windows Update service first.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Have you run the Windows Disk Cleanup (with or without the 'Clean up system files' option)?

Unless you're desperate it's not worth worrying about folders that only contain a few hundred Megabytes of files.

The questions you've asked can mostly be answered by typing them into Google verbatim or typing something like 'can I delete <insert filename here>'.
I have run Piriform's CCleaner which is considered to be superior to Disk Cleanup but I will give the latter a go.
I am not talking about just "a few hundred Megabytes of files" and either way, I don't see why they should hang about unless they are needed.
I have Googled most of my original questions but the majority of answers seem to relate to Windows 10, and/or are not entirely convincing.

I will have a look for nVidia files.
The user doesn't use Spotify.
I will stop Windows Update and rename the Software Distribution stuff - if that works, I will delete it.

Thanks anyhow for the suggestions.

ps - Incidentally, I have now tried "Disk Cleanup" of system files, it has made almost zero difference :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Use system cleanup and cleaner and cc cleaner remove system restore points. Then cc clean. That save GB.

Boot with Ubuntu live cd and empty both temp dirs, the windows and user one

Soldato
Have you removed all the metro apps? I always remove them from my ISO images as I never use them, but you can use the PowerShell to remove the majority of the apps - some of the rest you might be able to do by right clicking them on the Start menu.
Code:
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online

You can also try the below command in a standard command prompt window to cleanup the Windows folder - this can gain a few hundred MB or more if it's not been ran before.
Code:
Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

Soldato
After running the Windows Update Clean up option in Disk Clean up a reboot is required where it will then do the component store clean up.

Also check C:\Windows\Temp and delete anything in there.

Have you removed all the metro apps?

Hes on legacy Windows 7 so no metro apps.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Why don't you download the app called WinDirStat ? It will tell you where the space is been used.
Knowing what files are using space doesn't help me to know whether they are either essential or even useful . . . and I am well aware of WinDirStat but thanks for the suggestion anyhow ;)

Soldato
download defraggler (free) look at the file view, let it analyse the drive, sort by file size... "find" in windows is no good you don't have access to look in some folders... (also run the windows file cleanup - remove old patches)

obviously it will not show unfragged files - there might be a better option (usually large files end up fragged anyway)

Permabanned
I am trying to make some space on someone's Windows 7 system. I started by looking for "Huge" files and cleared out lots of rubbish. I wondered what the following files were and whether I can safely delete any or all of them?

I did a quick Google and turned up these results within 2 mins.
also....
Have you actually read the very first (opening) post in this thread?

Yep but I did a Google. There might be more files than this that can be got rid of.

Back
Top Bottom