R.I.P Keith Flint

Associate
From experiance of other people, wanting to commit suicide can be completely irrational. From someone outside looking in like i was it can seem totally non-senseical and honestly i still cannot understand anyone wanting to commit suicide.

Isnt hard to understand, you just have never felt it more painful to live than pleasurable for a long sustained period.Wears you down over time.Most of the time people dont actually want to die, they just want the pain to end, there is a difference between the 2.

Associate
No doubt mental health has played a role in his untimely demise. That's the thing with depression, often its hidden and masked, and by the time its known its too late. Mental health support in the UK is abysmal and needs a serious overhaul.

Depression is a physical condition. It's related to chemical changes that happen within the body. Depression doesn't get hidden only to later be revealed but rather develops alongside chemical changes that the body experiences -either over time due to aging, puberty, drugs, withdrawal symptoms etc... a physical condition needs a physical solution.

Soldato
Having had depression myself it most certainly can be hidden.

Might be all smiles and laughter on the outside, but on the inside your screaming. Robin Williams easily considered one of the funniest comedians, killed himself after years of suffering with depression. When it comes to suicide those that talk about it frequently or make remarks that they will kill themselves. More often than not will never follow through with it. The ones who remain silent with no indications that there is a problem will be the ones who end their lives. Having had 2 friends die to suicide after severe depression spanning years, even after multiple attempts they never got the help they needed.

Associate

Might be all smiles and laughter on the outside, but on the inside your screaming. Robin Williams easily considered one of the funniest comedians, killed himself after years of suffering with depression. When it comes to suicide those that talk about it frequently or make remarks that they will kill themselves. More often than not will never follow through with it. The ones who remain silent with no indications that there is a problem will be the ones who end their lives. Having had 2 friends die to suicide after severe depression spanning years, even after multiple attempts they never got the help they needed.

Actually, statistically its the other way around.Most people who commit suicide have talked about doing it before they did it.And its also known they were depressed.

Associate
R.I.P Keith Been blasting Prodigy tunes all morning.

On the male suicide of things, please do talk about it we are but a flicker in this timeline of life. I went there on 18th Dec last year, I now feel lucky and blessed to still be here the news today of lossing an icon like Keith has made it all the more poinient.

I was open and posted the whole journey so far on Facebook, it wasn't pretty but almost 4 months down the line still awaiting professional councelling the reach out from my Facebook Family I tell you now saved my life.

A bit of my story as I can relate, but today is Keiths day, everyone turn it up to 11 and litsten loud and proud!! ;)

Paul

Associate

Might be all smiles and laughter on the outside, but on the inside your screaming.

I meant it doesn't get hidden to the person suffering it. Of course you can hide it from other people (most do). But when people say you can defeat depression by "focusing on positive things" to attempt to hide it - you can't. It's always going to be there and if you do focus on the positives you will be up against an insane magnetic force trying to bring negative thoughts back into your mind again.

Soldato
+1 to say it is segregated to 1 industry is absurd. as in 1 area of glasgow the coroner is seeing 3-4 bodies a day which are all male 30-50 and have all hung themselves. so multiply that throughout the country it's 100+ people a day. more males aged 30-50 will kill themselves this year than will be killed by terrorists yet it doesn't make the news unlike IS brides

I never said it was segregated to 1 industry. I stated that it was especially a problem within the music industry. I work heavily in the music and touring industry, so maybe it's just because that is what I am exposed to, but from speaking to peers it does seem especially rife in music (and I'm not just talking musicians, crew/agents/roadies etc.)

Associate
I meant it doesn't get hidden to the person suffering it. Of course you can hide it from other people (most do). But when people say you can defeat depression by "focusing on positive things" to attempt to hide it - you can't. It's always going to be there and if you do focus on the positives you will be up against an insane magnetic force trying to bring negative thoughts back into your mind again.

This is very true.Higher highs leads to lower lows.The fall after a pleasant one off high weekend for example can be brutal.

Associate

True statement, you don't get over depression you learn to manage it.

Caporegime
I never said it was segregated to 1 industry. I stated that it was especially a problem within the music industry. I work heavily in the music and touring industry, so maybe it's just because that is what I am exposed to, but from speaking to peers it does seem especially rife in music (and I'm not just talking musicians, crew/agents/roadies etc.)

I guess the buzz of performing to 20,000+ people night after night is pretty hard to replicate when the tour is over.

Associate

Musicians, like artists and actors, are usually more in touch with their sensitive side.It doesnt surprise me that throwing lots of drugs, sex, money in to the mix can lead to mental health problems down the line.

Associate
I stated that it was especially a problem within the music industry. I work heavily in the music and touring industry, so maybe it's just because that is what I am exposed to, but from speaking to peers it does seem especially rife in music (and I'm not just talking musicians, crew/agents/roadies etc.)

It might have to do with how the "life purpose" of musicians differs from the average person's.

For example, the average person has children during the ages 20-40, then dedicates the rest of their life to bring these children up.

A musician, on the other hand, has music/performance as their primary purpose. But you can only do this for so long before you get hit with the reality of aging.

Then when you get old and know your performance career is coming to an end you no longer feel you have a purpose anymore.

It's kinda an immaturity - wanting to stay young forever. I can see how a lot of musicians or even sports guys would want to end their lives as a result of this.

Associate
Heartbreaking news. The prodigy were groundbreaking in the day and still make banging tunes today.

At the same time he lived a better life than likely 99% of this forum and went out on his own terms.Having lost a parent to terrible disease not much older than keith, i can safely say i know what id do if i was faced with similar.Growing old is no picnic and he seems to have made his choice, going by previous comments, that when he felt like age was becoming “a thing” he would go on his own terms.

Soldato
At the same time he lived a better life than likely 99% of this forum and went out on his own terms.Having lost a parent to terrible disease not much older than keith, i can safely say i know what id do if i was faced with similar.Growing old is no picnic and he seems to have made his choice, going by previous comments, that when he felt like age was becoming “a thing” he would go on his own terms.
A romantic notion, but he was probably just suffering from depression.

Back
Top Bottom