• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
At the moment im stuck at 4998 @ 1080p extreme. I haven't had any luck with memory over 1025. While everything runs without crashing the overall score decreases by a fair bit so not usable for the time being. Then again I'm certainly not that experienced yet with vega undervolting/overclocking. Been able to hit 1620 actual core clock using 1,025v. Tips or pointers would be appreciated.
4927 @1080 extreme just now on my powersave setting. (I can push higher but that seems a good stable setting)
Mine does a strange thing in that it seems to clock itself back after a crash it didn't like, so my bench scores suffer, dropping by about 10% or more, even though it's showing the same sort of clock speeds.
After several boots of not crashing it pushes one, then the other bios back up and the scores start going back to normal.
A steady 1620 core @ 1025mv sounds good.
How do your actual gaming FPS seem?
Mine seem to vary, depending on the mood of my card.
I've used witcher 3 on 4k ultra settings (except crowds on high) for testing, simply because I know it - cantering through crowded streets seems to give 47-52fps, though sometimes it does 58-60 (my FRTC is set at 60hz - my 4k monitor doesn't go higher).

Your mem sounds low - but if it's working well, it's working well.
I found pushing mine to 1130 gave good bench scores but it's not stable in gaming.

I'm assuming you have it at 1025/1000mv?
If you have the voltage lower than that (yeah I know the mem voltage is set) try pushing it a bit more to see what effect it has.
Having it at 950mv didn't work that well for me I remember.

Associate
At the moment im stuck at 4998 @ 1080p extreme. I haven't had any luck with memory over 1025. While everything runs without crashing the overall score decreases by a fair bit so not usable for the time being. Then again I'm certainly not that experienced yet with vega undervolting/overclocking. Been able to hit 1620 actual core clock using 1,025v. Tips or pointers would be appreciated.
Just thought - is it Samsung memory you have?

Soldato
4927 @1080 extreme just now on my powersave setting. (I can push higher but that seems a good stable setting)
Mine does a strange thing in that it seems to clock itself back after a crash it didn't like, so my bench scores suffer, dropping by about 10% or more, even though it's showing the same sort of clock speeds.
After several boots of not crashing it pushes one, then the other bios back up and the scores start going back to normal.
A steady 1620 core @ 1025mv sounds good.
How do your actual gaming FPS seem?
Mine seem to vary, depending on the mood of my card.
I've used witcher 3 on 4k ultra settings (except crowds on high) for testing, simply because I know it - cantering through crowded streets seems to give 47-52fps, though sometimes it does 58-60 (my FRTC is set at 60hz - my 4k monitor doesn't go higher).

Your mem sounds low - but if it's working well, it's working well.
I found pushing mine to 1130 gave good bench scores but it's not stable in gaming.

I'm assuming you have it at 1025/1000mv?
If you have the voltage lower than that (yeah I know the mem voltage is set) try pushing it a bit more to see what effect it has.
Having it at 950mv didn't work that well for me I remember.
HBM voltage is set to 900 in wattman. I was under the impression from reading around that HBM voltage in wattman actually don't control HBM voltage :p. Perhaps that is incorrect, I don't know. Gaming has been very good with good frame intervals and no hickups unless the game itself is done poorly. I don't have specific numbers but Division 2 open beta was running exceptionally in DX12(surprised me considering how many says otherwise on the forums), Witcher 3 was running very well, same was Apex. "Running well" means low frame time intervals for solid consistency and above 75ish fps, preferable above 100 fps, depending on the title with shooters leaning towards the latter.

Just thought - is it Samsung memory you have?
Yes its Samsung memory.

Soldato
ok need a bit of help .. with wattman ..
got it set up 1700/1150 .. runs fine until I put apex on then it drops to 1535/1050 ?? like wtf I've gone into the apex jobby in wattman set it to 1700/1150 and it still drops .. doing my head in
how do I get it to run full steam ?

You can lock the P states by right-clicking on "State 7". It's very likely you will crash though, as I doubt the 1700/1150 is going to be stable. Also, remember that the actual clock speed will never reach the level you put in Wattman, it will always be off by 30-50mhz (but not 165..).

Permabanned
You can lock the P states by right-clicking on "State 7". It's very likely you will crash though, as I doubt the 1700/1150 is going to be stable. Also, remember that the actual clock speed will never reach the level you put in Wattman, it will always be off by 30-50mhz (but not 165..).
yeah p-state is locked that's what I don't get .. locked at min ..
cards rock solid rest of games play fine .. btw it's on water :)
https://imgur.com/iKjCnt8

Associate
I've ordered a new PSU (superflower 850 gold) so hopefully this will cure my coil whine. When I ordered the original seasonic I thought I ordered a gold one and I ordered a bronze one by accident so don't know if that is the cause.

Permabanned
I've ordered a new PSU (superflower 850 gold) so hopefully this will cure my coil whine. When I ordered the original seasonic I thought I ordered a gold one and I ordered a bronze one by accident so don't know if that is the cause.
that's not going to cure coil wine .. power to the card is still power ... rma it if it's really bad

Associate
I've already swapped the Vega 64 for another one which still has coil whine .Been told by ocuk today that the biggest cause of coil whine in graphics cards, is PSU flutter.

Last edited:
Permabanned

that's not going to cure coil wine .. power to the card is still power ... rma it if it's really bad

I've already swapped the Vega 64 for another one which still has coil whine .Been told by ocuk today that the biggest cause of coil whine in graphics cards, is PSU flutter.

I sold my V64 Red Devil recently & while there'd been no coil whine for me the chap it went to had it real loud, he even bought another PSU to see if that was the cause but it didn't help, He RMA'd it but due to the V64 Red Devil no longer being in stock they gave him a Nitro instead which was a nice bonus, When I bought it I went with the Red Devil because the Nitro was to expensive, the opposite of how it is today, he said the Nitro also has a little whine but nowhere near as bad as the Red Devils. I'm not sure what was causing it for him but not me, there's a lot of possibles.

Associate
Anyone got any idea why my core clocks drop down from 1620mhz to 1400mhz when going past 65c core temp ? Using the vega 64 on water.

It's like it's thermal throttling but doesn't make sense at that kinda temp, Even the frametimes in games get's all messed up going up down up down.

Associate
Anyone got any idea why my core clocks drop down from 1620mhz to 1400mhz when going past 65c core temp ? Using the vega 64 on water.

It's like it's thermal throttling but doesn't make sense at that kinda temp, Even the frametimes in games get's all messed up going up down up down.

How are your VRM temps?

Associate
My Ref Vega 64 had a noticeable amount of coil whine (a loud buzzing under load). It has gotten a little more quiet over time now, and I can't notice it with my headphones on.

Associate
hot spot temp 106 it's throttling ...
Heres the odd thing though, 110c with the air cooler the gpu would be at 85c max 330w all the time and it never throttled, Watercooling in temps are better yet this time throttling, Got any suggestions ?

This has been a somewhat recent issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
Heres the odd thing though, 110c with the air cooler the gpu would be at 85c max 330w all the time and it never throttled, Watercooling in temps are better yet this time throttling, Got any suggestions ?

This has been a somewhat recent issue.

If you have a reference vega64 and you are using an lc bios, then since 19.2.1 you will have throttling issues, have to go to back to 19.1.2 or go back to a v64 air bios.

However if not the bios, then your temps are terrible for watercooling, what block are you using, what thermal paste, and what rad are you using

Associate
If you have a reference vega64 and you are using an lc bios, then since 19.2.1 you will have throttling issues, have to go to back to 19.1.2 or go back to a v64 air bios.

However if not the bios, then your temps are terrible for watercooling, what block are you using, what thermal paste, and what rad are you using

Using the default bios, Watercooling is the alphacool eiswolf 120mm rad with 2 fans 1 push 1 pull, I think the thermal paste was artic silver 5 or somthing along that line.

Soldato
Ok, that block is reasonably good, i'm wondering if you need to reapply the Tim, early vega dies had uneven height problems with the core and hbm, i'd at least loosen and retighten the mounting plate.
When I had high high hot spot temps for me it was due to the tim having failed.
With that block you should see core temp 50-60c at 1.05v and hotspot 70-80c

Those temps you posted what app or game was running at the time.

Back
Top Bottom