~cw

~cw

Associate
One of the downsides of Nord is that they are blocked by BBC Iplayer. If, like me, you connect to a UK server for privacy reasons you can no longer watch iplayer so you have to remember to turn off the VPN for BBC and turn it back on when you're done watching iplayer. Kinda annoying.

I thought they were blocked, but turns out my DNS config was wrong. You MUST use their own DNS servers pushed by the client; any custom DNS servers set in the preferences (or on the TAP adapter) will cause their method of iPlayer access to stop working.

(I used iPlayer through NordVPN yesterday evening)

Soldato
One of the downsides of Nord is that they are blocked by BBC Iplayer. If, like me, you connect to a UK server for privacy reasons you can no longer watch iplayer so you have to remember to turn off the VPN for BBC and turn it back on when you're done watching iplayer. Kinda annoying.

If only you could have some sort of device on your network that let you create rules that would route traffic to something like iPlayer over an unencrypted connection and everything else via your VPN. Someone should really invent that don’t you think?

Associate
If only you could have some sort of device on your network that let you create rules that would route traffic to something like iPlayer over an unencrypted connection and everything else via your VPN. Someone should really invent that don’t you think?

Yes, the problem is it uses about 12 different subdomains and it changes them while you are watching a program. Makes it very difficult to add rules for all the IP addresses.

Soldato
I'm now in the market for a VPN subscription. I think I've whittled it down to either expressVPN or NordVPN.
I'm currently working abroad so being able to use streaming services through geolocation would be ideal. I would quite possibly do a little P2P also.

I think I'm swaying towards expressVPN mainly due to reviews stating NordVPN it was a bit inconsistent with US servers.

Any thoughts?

Soldato
I'm now in the market for a VPN subscription. I think I've whittled it down to either expressVPN or NordVPN.
I'm currently working abroad so being able to use streaming services through geolocation would be ideal. I would quite possibly do a little P2P also.

I think I'm swaying towards expressVPN mainly due to reviews stating NordVPN it was a bit inconsistent with US servers.

Any thoughts?

I've been looking at Nord and Cyberghost. The only reason I'm considering Cyberghost is they still to my knowledge support L2TP/IPsec and PPTP which Nord just discontinued in December in favour of only supporting the more secure openvpn. That's fine but I have an older router which can't do openvpn. I should upgrade really.

Below is taken from https://thatoneprivacysite.net
“Owned” means a country/location isn’t a Five-eyes country itself, but is a territory or commonwealth of one.

FImewJjT3zBCkBnX3-Iyx047-pSUzOkP5EbRsjRmo8qsu1JF1LRKmxy9xEQZzVEcMTTIT3hL5c_8hqMuKuQYMoufJxHFk0ybZCO7UbipKP0Le0yvXxsdWlvRD7qSsCdjzIJ1Gi8p8xe1DuqkR4i2RnmzPqnGXAm5x4hddi44_nnwqgjwRhQv8X_XpxK-hD4Rkn48UQzfNa2FUAwF1oVBFdQ9pkqSSakCIPF19bdzFRRckLuOWtwAbdmQ-KjY6ZVezlEKoJB4a5oDAkJosDBSwuigb3OdwDRynyjQDHpBvQXZlwp-Yl8MqEPSN-Ur3fNwIvG0ye5iSCU1OeXygC9vP3uU9Vw9rwJWofy3up9hP2FSX5_h53YKubPo1eV41imSQfcxdrOghQ9yxeva9MKjrZIlhILRn6I_cmdJcr-fivM6j65fGXCS6Th-l57QZmvSus0kpoZaKbgVFWyPX4TCS8LglDSd8GIX0BYZWQgq0W5bzxP_mnA-RYKKxSP9LJHOlEJT2Q_qNNEu4f0ALHJmnuz1MsUrESBtbntbNC0PVXH8qkxaMHyrVSLkKkgipQ81QVEdyi6CasAXouckQolZnKWRLs0bk-SWw4KrDQQ1eMxQACpw-pxwYupArZtxcEBofFjl-wbCxdezs9KUwOx9Cuq-cGbA1WGXgAFJ88kGFRUF_2AWfaFuPY5x1YTtN7FvYRBdYn2bKiF1gLuoFl04lfMh_w=w1215-h215-no

Soldato
Ah I see, I haven't seen it mentioned before. I'll have a look through that website later. Surely being owned wouldn't cause too much of an issue?
I have noticed a lot of people complaining about speeds on NordVPN so it put me off a bit.
I only started reading about cyberghost last night so maybe I'll have a look at them again later.

Associate
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but i am considering buying NordVPN.

I live in the UK.

Buying online it gives you the option of saying you live in the US and paying $107 or $129 if you state that you live in the UK (VAT at 20%).

Can i just select that I live in the US and pay the cheaper $ price. Is this really wrong? Will that cause any issues with the VPN?

I have a Halifax credit card that doesnt charge any extra for foreign purchases.

Thanks in advance

Associate
Good idea. Thanks for the thought.

Edit:Just checked Quidco and they offer 60% cashback, so im guessing best bet (to prevent them finding any way of wriggling out of paying the cashback) is to pay with UK as my location.

Associate
I've been using Expressvpn since they had a deal on during the Black Friday sales. It's my first vpn service so I can't compare, but so far no issues, decent speeds on all my downloads and a simple program/app to get things going.

At the time I was tempted by nord, but I was concerned about the slightly lower price and aggressive marketing attracting the masses, therefore slower speeds over time.

Associate
Hi everyone hope you all are well, I have a few questions about VPNs I know it basically stops your ISP tracking what your on etc, I currently dont really download but I do stream on the firestick etc and I have heard that they are needed really. would you say they are essential these days ?

I don't think there is any decent free ones so what's the most popular one ? I know Nord is very popular and only works out at £2-3 pound a month when pay for the 3 year deal and that's perfect as don't want to spend a fortune.

I also read above the cheapest option is to purchase through top cash back, how exacty does that work do I just sign up to it for free then go onto nords website and buy the product then get money back into my account even if don't use top cash back again ?

any help appreciated and sorry if been asked a million times
Thanks Dean

Associate
Hi everyone hope you all are well, I have a few questions about VPNs I know it basically stops your ISP tracking what your on etc, I currently dont really download but I do stream on the firestick etc and I have heard that they are needed really. would you say they are essential these days ?

I don't think there is any decent free ones so what's the most popular one ? I know Nord is very popular and only works out at £2-3 pound a month when pay for the 3 year deal and that's perfect as don't want to spend a fortune. I also read above the cheapest option is to purchase through top cash back, how exacty does that work do I just sign up to it for free then go onto nords website and buy the product then get money back into my account even if don't use top cash back again ?

any help appreciated and sorry if been asked a million times
Thanks Dean

Soldato
All the information you need about TopCashback is available on their site. You'll have to wait for the cashback to be processed (can take many weeks). Once it has you can withdraw it in various ways.

The only reason I've ever used a VPN on my Fire TV is to watch the USA version of Netflix. For the rest of the time, I really don't care if my ISP can tell what I'm streaming as it's all legal and paid for.

Soldato
The only reason I've ever used a VPN on my Fire TV is to watch the USA version of Netflix. For the rest of the time, I really don't care if my ISP can tell what I'm streaming as it's all legal and paid for.

90% of the time when this question is asked it is a necessity because at 3pm on a Saturday many unorthodox sources of streaming services stop working completely on your firestick without a VPN, particularly if you are with one of the big six ISPs.

Back
Top Bottom