H80i Issues

Associate
Hi,

I have a Corsair H80i issue, and before contacting Corsair, wanted to check I haven't missed anything obvious please.

After cleaning my PC case yesterday, when I turned my PC on the CPU temperature hit 90c within a couple of minutes (so I turned it off again) - previous it would idle under 50c.

The pump RPM stays around 2500rpm. The radiator doesn't start to get warm until I move it (it's not attached to the case - but when I stop, the temperature goes up again).

I have double checked the connection from the pump to the power, USB & motherboard fan header (which I assume are confirmed by getting the stats below)?

Any ideas what else could be wrong, or is this a fault please?

Thanks.

eec1e034c16de7c8c7b95e0ce2aa4b86-full.png

Soldato
It does seem odd. But with the pump running and fans running all should be ok. Only other thing I can think of it might have an airlock in the pump? Perhaps try laying the PC on its side while powered on and see if it helps.

Associate
OP
@MikeTimbers - Not originally, all stayed the same. I did try a settings reset, but that didn't fix it. All of the fans are connected (they're new fans), I have tried changing them and running in the 2nd CPU fan header - no luck either.

@andy_mk3 - I have tried lying the radiator in all different directions. Shaking it, I can hear water, but it all sounds in the radiator end.

Associate
have you moved the entire case around? just go into bios and pick the case up and move it around ie on its side back etc. Obviously don't shake it but it sound like you have an air lock in the heat sink

Soldato
previous it would idle under 50c.

Thanks, I can try that. However hours before it was a normal temperature

Found this odd. Slightly under 50C, if that's what you mean, is not normal when idling.

We don't know what CPU, or which case, and the image you tried to post doesn't show (try imgur.com). Also, how did you clean it?

Soldato
Sorry, here's another link: https://imgur.com/a/zGQcPIJ | Under 50c was just a comparison, it's a 5820k, idling much closer to 40c. | I cleaned it by blowing air through the radiator.

Thanks TechNoob. Does seem like an airlock, given Vcore is not flying high and pump + fans seems to be working. CPU Input Voltage (also called VCCIN on some boards) is normal too?

Could take the H80i off in order to shake it a lot more roughly than is possible while mounted in case.

Associate
OP
Hi @Danny75

It's taken a strange turn. Checked the CPU voltage was normal (around 1.0) and reseated the cooler (having cleaned & reapplied thermal paste) - neither fixed the problem.

I then noticed a stick of RAM was loose. Reseating this instantly solved the problem. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
Soldato
That is very strange! I wouldn't expect it to boot at all with RAM loose. But perhaps enough pins were connected for it to boot but also make the CPU unhappy? Who knows :p Glad you solved the problem anyway :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi @Danny75

It's taken a strange turn. Checked the CPU voltage was normal (around 1.0) and reseated the cooler (having cleaned & reapplied thermal paste) - neither fixed the problem.

I then noticed a stick of RAM was loose. Reseating this instantly solved the problem. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Thanks for all your help.

Never heard of such a thing. Glad you found the fix though. I'd go with Andy's speculation too.

Back
Top Bottom