Painting Garage Wall

Associate
Hi thought i'd set about Painting the inside of the garage white as i've seen a few threads and thought it would brighten up the garage.

I've bought a couple of tins of White Deco Aldi Masonry Paint.

I've not long started and i've already used 1/2 a tub and i've hardly got anywhere :eek: . I've been using a pile roller and a brush to get in between the gaps.

Any tips

Is it best to water down?

I'm painting straight onto breeze blocks

At this rate its going to cost me a lot of ££££

2nks7xx.jpg

2iw4sk0.jpg

2mi2rgz.jpg

Associate
I'm currently going through the same process, the concrete blocks are taking 4 - 5 coats of paint to cover them properly, I find it easier for the first 2 coats to thin the paint 50% then 20% for the second as the concrete blocks really absorb the moisture.
I thought about using masonry paint, but had 9l of contract matt paint sitting in the garage, this seems to hold up ok on the walls and is breathable so I used below the damp course layer.
Now using Leyland Contract Matt as it was on offer 20l for £30
I'm also painting the plaster boarded ceiling and the floor as the concrete was really dusty which was being sucked into my servers and has now started getting into the sata ports on the empty drive caddies.
Using Leyland heavy duty floor paint, it is solvent based, which from what I have read can get pulled up with car tires, but my garage only has enough free space for my pedal bike :) so should be ok.

My garage is packed, so I'm having lots of fun moving everything around so I can get one side done at a time.:(

Last edited:
I would spray it personally.
You dont need anything exotic, one of the fence sprayers would do the job fine. You will need to water the paint slightly. Just use normal cheap emulsion.
You can always run a coat of masonry over the top with a roller at the end if you specifically want it, but its unnecessary.

The problem with painting breeze is it looks pants so you end up practically filling the holes with paint. If you spray it it will look white with far less paint used.

Associate
I looked at electric spay guns, but spraying is only really piratical if the garage is empty because of the amount of mist they produce, I have 4 racks full of tools and stuff and a server rack with 3 servers sucking in a lot of air. I do need to find a much thicker roller though, I think the ones I have are just rough texture rollers not masonry rollers, this would probably reduce the number of coats I need.

Associate
I looked at electric spay guns, but spraying is only really piratical if the garage is empty because of the amount of mist they produce, I have 4 racks full of tools and stuff and a server rack with 3 servers sucking in a lot of air. I do need to find a much thicker roller though, I think the ones I have are just rough texture rollers not masonry rollers, this would probably reduce the number of coats I need.

There's two ways??? One is water the paint down(P!ss coat in the trade) as new plaster/block etc suck the paint like a hooker on Whizz! you think ok i'l just coat up trouble is later it will flake and peel as because it's sucked it so quickly it's taken all the moisture out before it's had time to cure/bond to surface.
See it on new walls if haven't been done and for first coats many use a paint if you look see it called for new plaster.
Leyland call it Super latex!
But later you will see the paint crazing on the surface like a mosaic patterns.

Other is a skim over with a wet coat of finish plaster or a filler like jointing cement can get big tubs of it or mix your self it is a gypsum base want it pretty wet can put on with those big plastic filling/jointing knives even high density foam etc

Masonary rollers help and high pile hold more paint but also work it in rather than just go up and down and you will find a short extension on handle helps when rolling and far better with a decent roller arm and sleeve over most diy tat that bends and holds naff all paint

Contract paint is p!ss made for a cheap price for a one year blow over was original idea when factories shut over summer.

Soldato
I went against the grain and painted a 65sqm garage with cheap masonry paint. I did two coats and it was a pain in the backside, especially filling in all the dark recesses. It could probably do with another coat to be completely 100% but we're happy with it.

O8oInT9.jpg

WGkhrdQ.jpg

Soldato
I went against the grain and painted a 65sqm garage with cheap masonry paint. I did two coats and it was a pain in the backside, especially filling in all the dark recesses. It could probably do with another coat to be completely 100% but we're happy with it.

Where did you get that clock? Exactly the sort of thing I have been looking for!

Soldato
Looks great Bettz!

Sorry missed the questions the first time around.

What paint did you use on the floor?

It's Watco Garage Floor paint. I wouldn't recommend it to be honest. In hindsight i'd epoxy or floor tile it. However, couldn't afford it at the time.

Where did you get that clock? Exactly the sort of thing I have been looking for!

It's a crossfit/fitness timer that I bought for my wife. Original place doesn't sell them any more, but this will give you an idea of where you can get them:

https://www.google.com/search?q=int...L7jAhVFQxUIHQQOAfgQ_AUIESgB&biw=2560&bih=1326

Soldato
i did my garage recently. Just got a final coat to do on one section of the floor - working around things is a pain - it would be much easier if the garage was empty!

Single garage and I used a 10l tub of cheap white masonry paint for the brick (i.e. not breezeblock) walls which was sufficient for 2 coats and 5l of epoxy floor paint (https://www.regalfloorpaint.co.uk/product/high-build-epoxy-garage-floor-paint-gpaint03.html) which was sufficient for 2 coats of the floor and a single brick up the sides, like a skirting board, to finish off neatly.

Like others, not looking for perfection, but still a decent job.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did mine few years back, just got a cheap tub of white and went over everything with a huge roller, didn't really fuss about with it just went over a couple of times, it's not perfect but it certainly brightened it up enough. It depends how picky you are about the finish.

Back
Top Bottom