Computer Upgrade

Associate
Hi

I am having trouble with my computer. It keeps restarting and is generally very sluggish (and loud).

I have ran a userbenchmark (results below). Can anybody recommend what upgrades/changes I could make to make it run smoothly.

UserBenchmarks:

CPU: AMD FX-4300 - 41.7%

GPU: AMD R7 250X - 17.8%

SSD: Spcc Solid State Disk 120GB - 163.1%

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB - 63.1%

RAM: Unknown 4x4GB - 42.7%

MBD: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

General Computer Uses:

Lightroom

Photoshop

Premier Pro

Solidworks 2016

Microsoft Office

General web browsing

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!

Soldato
I am having trouble with my computer. It keeps restarting and is generally very sluggish (and loud).

I have ran a userbenchmark (results below). Can anybody recommend what upgrades/changes I could make to make it run smoothly.
What is the brand/model of your PSU?

And what are your CPU/GPU temps - idle and under load?

Last edited:
Soldato
Core upgrade, CPU+Mobo+Ram

FX chip is old and poor! specially if your doing photoshop, video editing and 3D design work!!!!!!!

even i5 4 core or ryzen 1400 4 core would greatly improve your workload!

Associate
OP
Core upgrade, CPU+Mobo+Ram

FX chip is old and poor! specially if your doing photoshop, video editing and 3D design work!!!!!!!

even i5 4 core or ryzen 1400 4 core would greatly improve your workload!

Thank you! Would they require any other changes? CPU, Motherboard, etc or would they be compatible with the current set up?

Soldato
Thank you! Would they require any other changes? CPU, Motherboard, etc or would they be compatible with the current set up?
That Win Power will need binning - it's very likely the cause of your present problems.

So, for starting base: - PSU+CPU+Mobo+Memory.

Associate
That Win Power will need binning - it's very likely the cause of your present problems.

So, for starting base: - PSU+CPU+Mobo+Memory.

Will it? It's "POWERFUL AND EXTREMELY SILENCE", surely it can't be that bad can it? ;)

To the OP, I'm just joking above. Plec is 100% correct, bin that PSU and buy a quality EVGA, Seasonic, etc. It'll still be *powerful and extremely silence, but it'll not fail and take your expensive kit with it.

*Copyright Win Power +Plus

Soldato

Nuke. From orbit.

Agreed.

It'll still be *powerful and extremely silence, but it'll not fail and take your expensive kit with it.

The trouble is, that PSU may have already damaged some of the components in the OP's PC.

Being deliberately cheap:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £379.25 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Just transfer the SSD and HDD.

Soldato
Since nobody has bothered to suggest this, and until you sort out an upgrade. Take it all apart, and clean everything (if you know what you are doing). Re-apply new thermal paste to the CPU and cooler, about £3-6 to buy some which will last you about 10 applications or more. Make sure you blow all the muck and dust from the fans and PSU.

An unstable system like yours can simply be cured with a bit of TLC, and gentle but thorough cleaning. :)

EDIT: Oh, and a clean fresh install of your operating system also helps a great deal. You could even buy yourself a nice new SSD to install it on, £25-30 will get you 240GB+ theses days.

Soldato
And what are your CPU/GPU temps - idle and under load?
The above would still be useful if you're not upgrading immediately as heat issues do stick out as possible cause - but that PSU is still a glowing red flag when considering its quality combined with the age of the unit.

Also, have you ever changed the motherboard battery - CR 2032? This can cause a lot of odd stability issues if failing/flat. It's a cheap test and will clear your CMOS at the same time - which it will probably appreciate. This coupled with checking that all your connections are seated properly - or re-seating all cables/components, memory/GPU - if not done so already.

*If you are upgrading ideally you would wait a couple of months for Zen 2 release.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom