Is this OLED screen-burn worth bothering about?

Soldato
From what I've learned about general OLED burn-in is the higher the brightness the sooner burn-in will appear, but even at 60% OLED brightness burn-in will eventually happen. Plus red OLED pixels damage sooner, which is why newer OLED TV's have bigger red pixels.

That's blue OLEDs. Blue OLEDs are less efficient than green or red which is why the blue subpixels are larger on samsung oled panels, for example, as they need to be driven with a higher current to match the luminescence of the other two. However, that doesnt apply to LG's TV OLED panels as they dont used coloured OLEDs - they use White OLEDs with coloured filters on top. White OLEDs last longer but the use of filters also leads to lower luminescence which is why LG's TV panels have a 4th subpixel which is pure white to boost brightness. The subpixels are still different sizes, but that's more to do with colour accuracy than lifespan.

My E7 still going strong, bought in October 2017

2 years isnt any age for a TV, id absolutely expect it to be tip top :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well some people prefer LCD, others OLED. They both have their faults & benefits.
I'd hope newer OLED's have better handling of burn-in as they're becoming cheaper & more popular too.
If newer OLED's also suffer from burn-in with a common app like YouTube then it's very worrying for all OLED users who watch YouTube.
It's a shame everyone has abandoned 3D though.

Soldato
OP
And what are you doing browsing via the TV app!

Do that on the phone and cast it onto the TV.

Yeah, I'm now using a tablet as a 2nd screen with YouTube Music & don't even need the TV to be on. Just a shame the Roku4k is throttling YouTube Music so it very often buffers & stutters, though don't have to keep seeing the Roku display network connection problem in music (but is able play 4k HDR). The RokuHD is fine though.
Going start casting YouTube to the TV from a Jellybean tablet lol (curse Toshiba for locking the bootloader). Will need test for the logo appearing as don't want damage it anymore.

Soldato
OP
which roku4k .. I have not had any problems with an SS+
youtube music is only 128kb/s - webm, so not exactly and auditory experience anyway ?

Just got a WiFi extender & put it 6 inches away from the Roku4k & it behaves the same, but at least it passes the network test with 45mbits now.
The older RokuHD is fine with YouTube Music.

Soldato
works fine for me on an SS+ with 5G tv's about 50cm from a vriginmedia superhub .. two steps from hell victoy instrumental 5:22 - whatever that is

edit : incidentally who ever did the video knows little about speed tests ... you need to checks out comms with the utube cloud server

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's only burn in if it's permanent, try staying away from Youtube for a few weeks and see if it fixes itself with wear levelling (I'm assuming OLED has it Plasma did). It's the main reason I got fed up with Plasma I got sick of having to monitor/vary usage to prevent retention. I had to be careful about watching too much snooker as well.

Those type of displays are high maintenance that's all, don't buy one expecting to be able to just abuse it with week long gaming binges and 8 hours a day watching news channels with tickers etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have an e8 and have set logo dimming to high. I also use 100 oled light setting. Not had the tv long but went for this model as the tests showed burn issues were not a problem anymore (unless you do something really stupid but even then the screensaver kicks in fast).

Caporegime
Ouch.

I'd personally just try and return or get a repair.

You had the brightness at 100% because you had to. These OLED sets really need to come with clear visible warnings and a booklet on just trying to stop image retention and burn in.

no they don't according to all the people on here. but yet again more proof that I made the right decision going FALD.

Until they guarantee against burn in I won't be buying an OLED. or until it's progressed to the point it's nigh on impossible to get without doing something stupid. and using 100% brightness isn't stupid if it's too dark for HDR effects or in a brightly lit room.

Soldato
well they do have that guarantee out to ~5 years ? but I agree, like the Nexus6, the prospect of obsolescence, beyond that, would not meet my usage needs.

them : providing you use the tv within the way we specify (cleaning cycles, pixel move on, emblem identification) you will not have problems,
if you do, it's a manufacturing defect, and you can get it replaced, or partial remboursement, and also, refunded for the time you spent orchestrating the return.

edit
and see if it fixes itself with wear levelling (I'm assuming OLED has it Plasma did)
Interesting I was not familiar with wear levelling terminolgy being aplied to plasma or oled, just ssd's, where data is moved.
I thought the screen recoeded where there had been excessive brightness/ageing, and then, during cleaning cycles effective had to overstress the other pixels to artificially age them too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I could be wrong but I think I read about it somewhere back when I got a Plasma (2011?) although looking now it might have just been a "why don't plasmas have this" type article because I can't find anything. For some reason I always assumed that was what my Plasma was doing when it used to semi-turn on for 2-3mins in the middle of the night, nothing on screen but you could hear the click and it was like clockwork. It wasn't set to update or connected to the internet.

I'll have to do a bit more Googling and if I can't find anything I'll be left wondering what it was doing in the middle of the night now lol.

Caporegime
no they don't according to all the people on here. but yet again more proof that I made the right decision going FALD.

Until they guarantee against burn in I won't be buying an OLED. or until it's progressed to the point it's nigh on impossible to get without doing something stupid. and using 100% brightness isn't stupid if it's too dark for HDR effects or in a brightly lit room.

100% OLED light setting is required for HDR and the proper tone mapping to take effect, however, for SDR, it is not recommended, 120 luminance is what is recommended and this equates to a 20-35% (iirc) oled light setting depending on the model/panel, anything higher than this and you're just harming the IQ, if people really need 100% brightness for SDR in their room, then they should be setting their TV up in a better area/angle to avoid glare.

Soldato
OP
Perhaps the 3D OLED's need a higher light level to push through the polarised layer?
Perhaps part of the reason for ditching 3D was a lower light level is needed & to reduce damage to pixels?
A shame the logo detector can't be applied to the 2016 range.
I'm casting app content now due to them causing damage.

Soldato

I went FALD too.

Now looking for a 75 inch FALD..

Soldato
I went FALD too.

Now looking for a 75 inch FALD..

Get one of these, I have one and love it best TV I have ever had and this is coming from Plasma Panasonic and Pioneer before it. It's a great buy get one before they vanish, as the Europe market is only going to have 65" max once they have all gone in this model for this year (It's a 2018 model that Sony kept for 2019 too but reducing their max size to 65" after all the 75" are gone in Europe), the USA had the 85" but we could not get that here sadly.

Sony BRAVIA KD75XF9005BU

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/all-tvs/sony-kd75xf9005bu.html

Soldato
OP
I tried 2x FALD Panasonic dx902 before going OLED & both had problems with HDR gaming due to max brightness & seeing the LED squares follow any light source. Maybe they've improved now?
DSE also shows up more with a lighter LCD panel.

Soldato
I'd need to wear sunglasses if I had my B7 at 100 for regular SDR content.

100% brightness is required for HDR and even then OLEd is up to only half as bright as the best LED panels.

As I do a lot of HDR gaming and LG offers no burn in warranty id probably kill the OLEd panel pretty quickly since I can easily sit down and play games for hours at a time where you have lots of UI elements on the screen for hours

Back
Top Bottom