When are you going fully electric?

Caporegime
Have you driven a (high performance) electric car? The instant torque and jolt forwards is fun, addictive and instantaneous. You can be cruising along at 20mph and suddenly jump up to 50-60mph with nothing more than a firm press of the pedal. To some this is too simple and uninvolving, but others enjoy the sheer responsiveness that you simply don't get from a normal ICE car.

Going from driving a nice EV to an ICE vehicle is somewhat like going back to an HDD after using an SDD. Or a 60Hz monitor after a nice 144Hz one.

This is the same as a normal fast car though. It’s not EV specific

Soldato
After owning a i3 for a few months it surprised me how slow it made my RX7 + V8 feel off the line in normal traffic. Yes I could launch at 4000 RPM and beat the i3 comfortably but that's not something I do on public roads.

I've been thinking about conversions for the RX7 but they are still very expensive. Think 30-50K for a Tesla based 4wd conversion. So now I'm think actually the i3 with it's light aluminium periphery frame and composite passenger cell would really benefit from a Tesla small motor in the rear. Again though that may be a few years off being an easy off the shelf conversion. I've done enough bespoke conversions in ICE cars now to not be interested going that route anymore. My RX7 was the last.

Soldato
After owning a i3 for a few months it surprised me how slow it made my RX7 + V8 feel off the line in normal traffic. Yes I could launch at 4000 RPM and beat the i3 comfortably but that's not something I do on public roads.

I've been thinking about conversions for the RX7 but they are still very expensive. Think 30-50K for a Tesla based 4wd conversion. So now I'm think actually the i3 with it's light aluminium periphery frame and composite passenger cell would really benefit from a Tesla small motor in the rear. Again though that may be a few years off being an easy off the shelf conversion. I've done enough bespoke conversions in ICE cars now to not be interested going that route anymore. My RX7 was the last.

Yeah that'll totally be the future, i'd love to do an EV conversion on my classic Mini but it's just too expensive now. Give it 10 years and im sure it'll be becoming a very mainstream thing to do to classic cars.

Soldato
Yes I could launch at 4000 RPM and beat the i3 comfortably but that's not something I do on public roads.

And then there are moments where the road in front of you very suddenly becomes completely clear and open for you to accelerate into. Or perhaps the light suddenly changes to green as you were preparing to stop. These changes in traffic conditions can't always be anticipated - so with your i3 you can just mash the pedal and instant torque your way forwards. With any ICE you'd need to wait for your revs to catch up. Anyway, perhaps I'm just rambling now and not making a clear point. But I'm certainly a fan of the way decent EVs "feel" and respond and that's not something you get from even high-performance ICE cars. I know even saying that is likely to open up a can of worms, but it's just physics and how engines vs. electric motors work. :)

Soldato
You have to experience them to know what a difference the instant nature means on a daily basis and even the comparatively sluggish Zoe I had on loan felt quick off the line if only for the first 20 mph or so.

Flip side is though I don't drive the i3 much above 60 mph to maintain a decent range due to having the small battery in mine. 70 mph is no problem for the 40 mile commute but I've just got used to the pleasant wafting along saving pounds per mile and leave the adrenaline rush for the RX7.

Associate
Just borrowed an i3S for a week to see whether it would work as a second car (replacing a mini) alongside my diesel 3 series estate. Absolutely love it and will be ordering one - not only is it going to replace the mini but I think it’ll be used as the primary car, with the bigger diesel car reserved for really long trips / holidays / spare car duties.

The instant torque, regen braking and drivability of the i3S was great and I found myself often going a lot faster than I thought I was. The range was good too - easily managed a 160 mile round trip with some battery left. Also love the futuristic feel of the car (new idrive etc.. helps), the exposed carbon fibre, the slightly-annoying-but-cool coach doors.

Soldato
So i'm completely noobish when it comes to EVs, never driven one and don't know anything.

Do these plug into a normal 3 pin socket in the house or need some type of charge station installed?

For someone who's looking to save money for the future, is there something in the 2nd market that would accommodate my 40mile daily trip? (Mostly motorway, dually and city driving)

What I did notice some years ago when I was in my 3.0l Z4, I was at a red light for the traffic light grand prix, and next me an i3 appeared, I was ready to launch off and as soon as the lights turned green this Tiny box flew and made me look like I was driving a 1l corsa in comparison, certainly caught me be surprise.

Soldato
They can charge off a 3pin but ideally you want a proper socket putting in which is 3x faster.

We couldn’t say if you’d save money, it really depends on what your circumstances are. Used EV residuals are really strong, most of them have lost no money in the last couple of years.

All we can say is make a spreadsheet and do the maths but it’s unlikely unless you do higher than average mileage.

Soldato
So i'm completely noobish when it comes to EVs, never driven one and don't know anything.

Do these plug into a normal 3 pin socket in the house or need some type of charge station installed?

For someone who's looking to save money for the future, is there something in the 2nd market that would accommodate my 40mile daily trip? (Mostly motorway, dually and city driving)

They can plug into a standard 13amp socket using a "granny" cable, but it's very slow e.g. It takes my 40kw Zoe about 14-15 hours to charge on one! However, I can fully charge from a 7kw in ~5.5-6 hours.

A 2nd hand zoe (22kw) will cost you around £6-7k, but there will be battery lease on top of that, which iirc is £40-£100/month depending on your mileage, you might be able to find a battery owned ("I") model, but they are more like £10k+

Also is that 40miles round trip or each way? A 22kw will do 40 easily on a charge, but 80 might be pushing it in winter.

A leaf is going to be similar, before getting my Zoe I was looking at 2-3 year old models at ~£11-12k, but I believe the range on them is a bit lower

Last edited:
Soldato
They can plug into a standard 13amp socket using a "granny" cable, but it's very slow e.g. It takes my 40kw Zoe about 14-15 hours to charge on one! However, I can fully charge from a 7kw in ~5.5-6 hours.

A 2nd hand zoe (22kw) will cost you around £6-7k, but there will be battery lease on top of that, which iirc is £40-£100/month depending on your mileage, you might be able to find a battery owned ("I") model, but they are more like £10k+

Also is that 40miles round trip or each way? A 22kw will do 40 easily on a charge, but 80 might be pushing it in winter.

A leaf is going to be similar, before getting my Zoe I was looking at 2-3 year old models at ~£11-12k, but I believe the range on them is a bit lower

40miles all round, 20 there 20 back.

Crazy you have to lease the batteries, thought that was only for the Twizy.

Soldato
Crazy you have to lease the batteries, thought that was only for the Twizy.

Pretty much only Renault used this model (and a few early Leaf's) which is why you see them for not a lot of money, all of the rest are owned (including many Zoe's) and a lot more expensive. Like I said the residuals on most used EV's have been very good recently.

Soldato
Used EV prices are just nonsense now. I paid £8k (which was the window price) for something like this 18 months ago:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904106824916

Except it only had 25k miles on it. Came from a main dealer, with two years of warranty, and two years of servicing.

Around the same time, the used Zoe's were down at the £5k mark, with a few dropping under that.

They've become too popular, and prices are now well and truly inflated. Probably still worth it for people who do a lot of miles as the fuel savings will offset a chunk of the cost.

Last edited:
Soldato
Supply and demand. Demand massively outstrips supply for both new and used models.

It’s interesting given every car manufacturer has been telling us for years no one wants them and still Mazda and Toyota offer nothing in the market while other have huge waitlists.

Soldato
Yep. I bought mine while everyone was all doom and gloom that the batteries would only last a few years and they'd all be worthless.

Now, 2 years later I haven't lost a penny on it. If not, it's increased in value.

Always ahead of the curve. ;)

Soldato
Yep. I bought mine while everyone was all doom and gloom that the batteries would only last a few years and they'd all be worthless.

Now, 2 years later I haven't lost a penny on it. If not, it's increased in value.

Always ahead of the curve. ;)

We bought a second hand Leaf to help a family member out, as they couldn't afford to keep their old car running any more, and were spending £35 per week in fuel. So I made a deal, we own the car, they get to use it, and insure it, but they pay us back £35 per week, plus the interest on the loan over the 3 years (£388 in total). We have collected £2.5K+ in fuel payments, and the car is still worth more than we paid for it, even with 16k more miles on it, at the end when we sell it, I'll give them the fuel money back, minus the loss made (if any) so they can afford a new car. :)

Soldato
Supply and demand. Demand massively outstrips supply for both new and used models.

It’s interesting given every car manufacturer has been telling us for years no one wants them and still Mazda and Toyota offer nothing in the market while other have huge waitlists.

Indeed.

But if I was in the market now, I'd be looking at a Zoe from Evezy unless 80 miles of range is genuinely sufficient, without undue compromises.

Soldato

There will be far cheaper ones around eventually. I know someone slowly converting an old car at the moment, building everything himself. It will be £10,000s cheaper than buying Tesla bits and will still have a decent amount of power. The most expensive part is the batteries so it will only have a short range to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom