Gigabyte Aero 15 X Gaming Notebook With GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Graphics

Bry

Bry

Associate
So turns out the reason my laptop turned off and wouldnt turn on for an hour afterwards and since then wouldnt charge is due to a faulty motherboard which mendit are replacing. Doesnt seem to be an abnormal occurrence as a few people have posted online about their aero 15 not charging and needing a motherboard replacement.
Since mine sits on a desk all the time and is generally used as an office machine (originally purchased for gaming but never happened) bit dissappointed/scared it will happen again as only 6 months left on warranty.
Let's hope I get it back soon, quoted as 5 days for them to receive a replacement motherboard

Associate
Hi,

Just got an external screen for this laptop (32" 2560x1440) and have a question..

I want to keep the laptop open when gaming on it to aid airflow but can I do it so that the laptop screen isn't being used and the GPU is only pushing the 2560x1440 monitor (so I can get more FPS than gaming in 4k)

Cheers

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi,

Just got an external screen for this laptop (32" 2560x1440) and have a question..

I want to keep the laptop open when gaming on it to aid airflow but can I do it so that the laptop screen isn't being used and the GPU is only pushing the 2560x1440 monitor (so I can get more FPS than gaming in 4k)

Cheers

Hi @RyzenJunkie - FN + F5, should enable you to flick through various screen priorities....

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Hi @Atom80

Is the power supply included in the warranty?

The outer sheathing of the power cord has started to detatch:

power-bar.png

Not sure how safe it is to use in this state.

Cheers,

John.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi @Atom80

Is the power supply included in the warranty?

The outer sheathing of the power cord has started to detatch:

power-bar.png

Not sure how safe it is to use in this state.

Cheers,

John.

Hi @ Scorpuk - we will sort out and ship replacement directly to you. We have address details already. We will send email request shortly.

Regards,

Atom80

Associate
Hi,

Connected my 15x 4k to a quad hd 32" monitor and getting lots of lag. I pressed FN F5 and chose second screen only as wanted the laptop screen off. I'm getting quite a bit of lag, from animations to mouse movement and scrolling. Can't even see if it's the right resolution as in display settings, it's all greyed out.

Any ideas?

Associate
Gone back to windows 10 1809 and my latency in audio has gone from 3.0 to 0.6!

Also the animations are fine now. Have wiped it fresh and not installed anything other than letting windows do it's updates.

Running far better now.

Associate
Hi everyone. I’d appreciate a perspective on a current issue – an internet search hasn’t proved useful so far. I have just now posed this question to Gigabyte support (3-7 day waiting time) but I’d like opinions from users as well.

When I received my Aero 15-X9 a month ago (RTX2070, 32Gig RAM, i7-8750, 1TB SSD, UHD) I applied my chosen XTU undervolt as normal. A few days ago I updated the Gigabyte Control Centre app and the chipset drivers. It appears that updating the Control Centre also updated XTU to the most recent version. Yesterday I went to make a routine change in XTU and was confronted with a warning message informing me I would not be able to recover my system if my changes caused a crash: “your system will not be able to recover to a valid state automatically. Watchdog feature is currently unavailable”

Advice on how to get the XTU watchdog service back would be much appreciated. Can you also suggest what would happen if my machine were to crash without the watchdog service – could I reboot it as normal or not? When watchdog was previously active XTU would simply reboot the machine and re-set the voltages.

I’m running Windows 10 Pro v1803 Build 17134, and XTU version 6.5.1.330

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi everyone. I’d appreciate a perspective on a current issue – an internet search hasn’t proved useful so far. I have just now posed this question to Gigabyte support (3-7 day waiting time) but I’d like opinions from users as well.

When I received my Aero 15-X9 a month ago (RTX2070, 32Gig RAM, i7-8750, 1TB SSD, UHD) I applied my chosen XTU undervolt as normal. A few days ago I updated the Gigabyte Control Centre app and the chipset drivers. It appears that updating the Control Centre also updated XTU to the most recent version. Yesterday I went to make a routine change in XTU and was confronted with a warning message informing me I would not be able to recover my system if my changes caused a crash: “your system will not be able to recover to a valid state automatically. Watchdog feature is currently unavailable”

Advice on how to get the XTU watchdog service back would be much appreciated. Can you also suggest what would happen if my machine were to crash without the watchdog service – could I reboot it as normal or not? When watchdog was previously active XTU would simply reboot the machine and re-set the voltages.

I’m running Windows 10 Pro v1803 Build 17134, and XTU version 6.5.1.330

Hi @LindsayD19 - question sent over to R&D techies to see if they can advise....

Once we hear back, we will post.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
@Atom80 - thank you very much indeed for your reply, much appreciated.

I've noticed another issue which may be related. My Aero runs BIOS FB08. Last time I looked in the bios a couple of weeks ago it appeared fully featured - lots of graphics and plenty of pages with various settings, power management etc. Yesterday I went into the bios to see if there was anything related to my missing XTU watchdog feature - and I was greeted by a totally different interface. My bios is now very basic, and is a bland grey and blue. Most of the options I saw before have gone. I have no idea how this has happened because I've never made any changes in the bios nor have I flashed it - it's still the same version I was running before. The only things I've done recently is reinstall XTU and update the gigabyte control centre (which I then deinstalled and reinstalled). Aside from that, and the usual weekly updates win10 pushes out, I cannot find a reason for the 'skeleton' bios I now have. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
@Atom80 - thank you very much indeed for your reply, much appreciated.

I've noticed another issue which may be related. My Aero runs BIOS FB08. Last time I looked in the bios a couple of weeks ago it appeared fully featured - lots of graphics and plenty of pages with various settings, power management etc. Yesterday I went into the bios to see if there was anything related to my missing XTU watchdog feature - and I was greeted by a totally different interface. My bios is now very basic, and is a bland grey and blue. Most of the options I saw before have gone. I have no idea how this has happened because I've never made any changes in the bios nor have I flashed it - it's still the same version I was running before. The only things I've done recently is reinstall XTU and update the gigabyte control centre (which I then deinstalled and reinstalled). Aside from that, and the usual weekly updates win10 pushes out, I cannot find a reason for the 'skeleton' bios I now have. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Hi @LindsayD19

Reply to the initial situation was this:

"Perhaps try to uninstall both Intel XTU and Control Center and reboot. Then install Control Center again can solve this error.

But this failure usually appears because of the unstable setting via XTU. Maybe the customer needs to review the settings "

We have sent this more recent post to R&D also, but due to time difference wont get reply until tomorrow.

Stay tuned :)

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Atom80, thank you very much for the prompt reply.

I've already followed the steps suggested and uninstalled both XTU and control center, before rebooting and reinstalling control center. It made no difference, the watchdog is still absent.

The undervolt I was applying was the same as I had set before I lost the Watchdog service - it wasn't unstable. In fact trying to apply an undervolt of as little as -0.005v shows the same missing Watchdog warning box.

Key to my question was this "in the absence of the watchdog feature, what would happen if my machine experienced a voltage related crash". With watchdog functioning the laptop simply resets itself - without watchdog do I end up with an expensive brick? If Gigabyte support could answer that I would be most grateful.

Thank you for also forwarding the second problem. I'm baffled as to how I've lost my familiar bios interface and the options - I'm desperate to get that back. I'm guessing that for the watchdog feature to be enabled in XTU it must be a feature in the bios - now that I have a skeleton bios had that feature existed previously it probably doesn't now.

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Atom80, thank you very much for the prompt reply.

I've already followed the steps suggested and uninstalled both XTU and control center, before rebooting and reinstalling control center. It made no difference, the watchdog is still absent.

The undervolt I was applying was the same as I had set before I lost the Watchdog service - it wasn't unstable. In fact trying to apply an undervolt of as little as -0.005v shows the same missing Watchdog warning box.

Key to my question was this "in the absence of the watchdog feature, what would happen if my machine experienced a voltage related crash". With watchdog functioning the laptop simply resets itself - without watchdog do I end up with an expensive brick? If Gigabyte support could answer that I would be most grateful.

Thank you for also forwarding the second problem. I'm baffled as to how I've lost my familiar bios interface and the options - I'm desperate to get that back. I'm guessing that for the watchdog feature to be enabled in XTU it must be a feature in the bios - now that I have a skeleton bios had that feature existed previously it probably doesn't now.

Hi @LindsayD19 - could you please post a screenshot of the Error Message dialogue box?

Regards,

Atom80

Back
Top Bottom