Tesco Box insurance modifications

Associate
is anyone on Tesco box insurance and had a muffler delete and/or lowered their car? If so did they allow it, or how much extra was it on the premium to have those mods?

Soldato
If you need the box I assume you are a new driver? Learn to drive for a bit first and get used to the car fully before doing mods.

Associate
OP
Call and ask them?

Literally took insurance out yesterday and haven’t received any paperwork about my insurance and I still haven’t passed my test YET

Cant the muffler simply be removed?

What is it with this delete nonsense.

I mean I could, but I think that it’s illegal to do that? Or would definitely fail an MOT

If you need the box I assume you are a new driver? Learn to drive for a bit first and get used to the car fully before doing mods.

Yeah I am a new drive, like I said I don’t actually have my lisence yet. But thankfully I’ve managed to be a gifted driver so caught on very quick. But yeah I’m not going to get mods straight away. Just thinking about it and wondering if anyone else has before looking properly for parts etc

Soldato
Joined up today, to ask about exhaust and suspension mods on a 1.6TDI Golf before even passing a test.

I'm calling troll on this one.

Associate
OP
Joined up today, to ask about exhaust and suspension mods on a 1.6TDI Golf before even passing a test.

I'm calling troll on this one.

Joined today to ask that question. And I’m asking now to see if anyone has to see if it’s worthwile looking for the mods and talking to the insurance

I'm calling something else, ain't troll but isn't pleasant...

What you calling? I ain’t gonna be offended and I do get why you think it seems a bit odd

Soldato
If this is real I'd say try get a year NCB and get off the black box before doing mods to the car. You'll save money and get used to it in the process. There's nothing wrong with a 1.6 Golf in standard spec.

Associate
OP
If this is real I'd say try get a year NCB and get off the black box before doing mods to the car. You'll save money and get used to it in the process. There's nothing wrong with a 1.6 Golf in standard spec.

Yeah it is real. And okay thanks for your advice. And yeah I agree the standard spec is still good. Tbh I just want a louder exhaust sound, I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but some can sound really nice. And I’m only enquiring about lowering the car just to see premium increases if anyone had done it. Thank you though

Associate
OP
Dont remove the muffler. On a diesel it will just sound like a transit with a hole in the exhaust and its an MOT fail.

I’m not just gonna remove the muffler as I know it’s an MOT failure. If I were to mod it I would go to a professional. But the sound thing is personal preference

Soldato
There's actually a clause in section 7 of the Terms and Conditions for Tesco Bank Box insurance stating that cover will not be granted on a car which has been modified in any way from the manufacturers original spec excluding factory options. But it doesn't say you can't modify after cover has been given so call them and ask, but say it's just a question.

Associate
OP
Complete waste of time modding that like you are planning, run it for a year or two then get something a bit more remotely sporty instead of the couch on wheels you have.

That’s another option I’m thinking of doing. But what makes you say it’s a couch on wheels??

There's actually a clause in section 7 of the Terms and Conditions for Tesco Bank Box insurance stating that cover will not be granted on a car which has been modified in any way from the manufacturers original spec excluding factory options. But it doesn't say you can't modify after cover has been given so call them and ask, but say it's just a question.

Yeah, the car has not modications as of yet. And I have stated that in my insurance. But when I get all my paperwork and full license I will properly talk through it with someone. And hope they slightly understand cars as I’ve heard some people know next to nothing about cars who work for insurance companies

Back
Top Bottom